Toronto STACK Infrastructure Data Centre | 25.01m | 2s | First Gulf | WZMH

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
This massive, 7ha, 17 acre site located at 3650 Birchmount Road is in play.

The company has announced they are relocating staff to downtown Toronto this fall, to be closer to university and research partners. The article does not specify their new building.

It does, however, indicate that they will be placing the existing site up for sale sometime after the move.

Not clear to me if the City would fight to keep this as employment land, as it does have housing across the street to both the east and south, and very minor employment use to the north, before the LSE corridor.

The site is large enough to support a range of employment/industrial uses; but could obviously be converted to housing.

Article here: https://www.toronto.com/news-story/...carborough-facility-this-fall-after-70-years/

Sat Image of site here: From Google, my rather messy outline added.

Last edited:
On the other hand - I am curious exactly where they will be relocating to, presumably in the U of T/Hospital Row area, and whether it will be a new build or a lease of an existing building.

AoD

On the other hand - I am curious exactly where they will be relocating to, presumably in the U of T/Hospital Row area, and whether it will be a new build or a lease of an existing building.

AoD

I am too.

They did indicate the move is this fall, that would seem to preclude a new build.

Exchange Tower

It's a poor location for anything that would pique UT's attention should the site be up for redevelopment.

Last edited by a moderator:
The building on Danforth has been pretty empty for years. Lilly moved R&D out quite a while ago. I have a friend who works there. Rumour says part of the land is contaminated due to an old aluminum plant on the west end of the property, next to the fire station.

The building on Danforth has been pretty empty for years. Lilly moved R&D out quite a while ago. I have a friend who works there. Rumour says part of the land is contaminated due to an old aluminum plant on the west end of the property, next to the fire station.

Do you know where R&D ended up?

Exchange Tower

It's a poor location for anything that would pique UT's attention should the site be up for redevelopment.
This is such a strange one, it is a very large site located rather close to the downtown core - to me that signals that we should find a way to support higher density development. It is in a healthy area of the city where new residents would have access to schools and amenities.

Then you look at it and its surrounding built-form on Google satelite view, and see its location vis-a-vis the Line 2 subway, and a dreadful feeling that the best we are going to get out of this site are townhomes emerges.

Then I think about it some more. This is along Danforth Avenue, an arterial road with a bus route that leads to Main Station. This site is 3km away from Main Station. In my neck of the woods (Yonge+Eglinton), Laird Drive is 2.83km away from Yonge Street and yet plenty of people take the bus to Eglinton Station from Leaside.

There are some obvious differences, such as the bus frequency being very high on Eglinton compared to the Route 20-Cliffside. I decided to map it out on Google, a 36 minute commute to Bloor-Yonge is not atrocious for Toronto.

So, I am left wondering if the limitations of higher-density development on this site is more so due to what is in between our two ears, than it is by the reality on the ground.

Last edited:
First Gulf / STACK to develop a 56 MW data centre on the site opening mid-2022 with future expansion possibilities.

STACK Infrastructure set to open first phase of data centre at former Eli Lilly site in southwest Scarborough by middle of 2022

Nov 10, 2021

What had been the southwest Scarborough home of Eli Lilly Canada for more than 70 years, is now in the process of being transformed into an enormous private data centre housing thousands of computers.

The 19-acre Lilly site, at the northwest corner of Danforth Avenue and Birchmount Road, has been a hive of activity over the past few month as preparations are being made for it to become the new home for STACK Infrastructure’s first Canadian facility.

“STACK Infrastructure is a digital infrastructure solution partner, which means that we lease critical capacity to technology companies and enterprises which then run their services from our data centres,” explained Tim Hughes, Vice-President, Strategy of STACK Infrastructure in response to email questions from Beach Metro News.

--------
Work on the Scarborough site is expected to be ongoing over the next three or four years.

“The Phase 1 retrofit will be complete by mid-2022 and will include ongoing continuous development,” said Hughes.

Eventually, the second phase or Future Phase of the data centre will see another large building erected on what is now viewed by many in the community as the large front lawn of the Lily site facing onto Danforth Avenue.

The construction and retrofitting work over the next three to four years will provide hundreds of on-site jobs, said Hughes. Once complete, the data centre “will provide 30-50 high-quality industrial jobs internally,” he said.

“STACK’s Toronto location will be a driver of job creation, and also enable technology jobs in the Greater Toronto Area,” said Hughes. “The digital infrastructure industry provides an economic ripple that includes indirect jobs, billions in economic output, and an increase in the spread of technology industries.”

Back