Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

PS: The hotel remains at #3 out of all Toronto properties on tripadvisor.com. Despite everything else, people really enjoy staying here.

Doesn't surprise me. Some of the best hotels i have stayed at were Trump Hotels. I hate Trump but his hotels are pretty damn impressive. Everything is 5 star, from the service, food, rooms. Another thing i liked is that the Trump Hotels is one of few luxury hotels that offers kitchenettes in the rooms.

Looks like his hotels will be getting a new soon.

‘Scion': Trump Hotels Get A New Name As Bookings Plunge http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/10/24/trump-hotels-new-name-scion_n_12625016.html

it's always a disaster when a company loses their property through default.

the problem here, more than anything else, is the condo/hotel ownership scheme. talon pre-sold on the basis of inflated income estimates, which were used for sales and to justify the value of the units on the books. talon got a construction loan and built it out on the basis of these far too ambitious projected sales/value, and it never added up, as we see now. the demand for this type of ownership arrangement is low, and the units themselves don't return enough to justify what talon was asking and needed to get, and so, the project is a failure.

it's not clear what the new group could do to get it right. there are condo owners now that would have to agree to a reversion to a more normal luxury condo plan. if they agree, the luxury condo plan would still include the trump people managing the units, unless they were paid off. in that scenario, the new ownership brings a few dozen luxury units (with associated strata costs) to market, pretty risky with the trump name up there, the location and the views. you'd have to be coming in with some room to maneuver (ie. having picked them up substantially below market) for this to work out well.

maybe they just try to convert them all to hotel, buying out the current condo owners. then you're contending with the stigma of the trump name.

it's a mess.

still, a building was built and eventually, someone will figure out the right mix to get make some money out of it.

i'm glad i'm not one of the saps that bought one of the goofy condo hotel rooms though, probably painful for these people even to walk on that street or hear trump speak.

‘Scion': Trump Hotels Get A New Name As Bookings Plunge http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/10/24/trump-hotels-new-name-scion_n_12625016.html

A little deceiving. None of Trump's existing hotels are changing its name. Scion is a brand new line of hip hotels targeting the younger and less affluent demographic. But I won't be surprised if some of their under-performing hotels gets rebranded to stay competitive as controversy continues for Donald Trump.
Don't know why they use the same name as Toyota's line of cars that was also was targeted to younger buyers which shuttered earlier this year due to poor sales and restructuring.

The Trump hotel and residences in Vancouver is looking stunning so far, though it's going through a series of really long construction delays.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/11/trump-tower-goes-bust-canada-214412

Reported here that it is the tallest residential skyscraper in Canada. Aura is taller, isn't it? One Bloor? And several other proposed towers in Toronto? Wish they would have used the story about the sign and its missing P. Always thought that outcome was fitting to this project.

It's interesting that he is laying blame to Talon - which is fine, but didn't he do his homework before putting his name on anything?

AoD

Doesn't surprise me. Some of the best hotels i have stayed at were Trump Hotels. I hate Trump but his hotels are pretty damn impressive. Everything is 5 star, from the service, food, rooms. Another thing i liked is that the Trump Hotels is one of few luxury hotels that offers kitchenettes in the rooms.

Remember, though, that many "Trump hotels", including the one in Toronto, actually don't have much to do with Trump or his companies other than the proprietors having licensed the use of his last name.

Remember, though, that many "Trump hotels", including the one in Toronto, actually don't have much to do with Trump or his companies other than the proprietors having licensed the use of his last name.

While the Trump Tower was never owned by the Trump organization, in addition to licensing the name, the Trump hotel management company was retained, and still provides hotel management services for the hotel component of the Trump tower. It was the threat of the management contract being cancelled that led to the actions in April of this year, as reported in the Toronto Star article on April 17, 2016:

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...mp-inside-torontos-5-star-tower-struggle.html

I thought Trump hotels actually managed the hotel here in Toronto? Talon owns it, and still owns more of the units that it wishes it did, but the Trump hotel organization runs the place (except America, which is O&B and Ink). I might be wrong on this.

ETA: Okay, just saw @AHK's post. Yes, that's what I thought too.

I thought Trump hotels actually managed the hotel here in Toronto? Talon owns it, and still owns more of the units that it wishes it did, but the Trump hotel organization runs the place (except America, which is O&B and Ink). I might be wrong on this.

ETA: Okay, just saw @AHK's post. Yes, that's what I thought too.

Yeah, @AHK is of course correct - I'd misremembered the detail of that Star article, thinking that the contract had actually been canceled rather than merely the threat thereof.

Back