Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

What he has done for the high end real estate market in Toronto is the same thing he has done most everywhere he has a tower with his name on it. Yes, Toronto had a strong condo market before Trump came in but it wasn't remotely close to the $1300 per sq. ft. you see in multiple projects now.

So what he has done for us is raise our cost of living so we can't afford the luxuries we had before at a much lower price? The condos like One Bedford wouldn't be here if it wasn't for Trump? What Paris, Rome, London, Tokyo, and Hong Kong really need to be successful is a building with the name of a guy who is more famous than rich and who has taken his fair share of companies into the red? If the value of the building is the name, then I have to disagree. A no-name building which is luxurious, well designed, and affordable is far more valuable to the city than a building which is uninspiring and priced high that happens the have the name of a famous person attached. I would prefer the famous be tenants and spokespeople for Toronto, not be names on properties that serve only to pump the costs of living higher.

So what he has done for us is raise our cost of living so we can't afford the luxuries we had before at a much lower price? The condos like One Bedford wouldn't be here if it wasn't for Trump? What Paris, Rome, London, Tokyo, and Hong Kong really need to be successful is a building with the name of a guy who is more famous than rich and who has taken his fair share of companies into the red? If the value of the building is the name, then I have to disagree. A no-name building which is luxurious, well designed, and affordable is far more valuable to the city than a building which is uninspiring and priced high that happens the have the name of a famous person attached. I would prefer the famous be tenants and spokespeople for Toronto, not be names on properties that serve only to pump the costs of living higher.

Can't disagree with you that Trump usually raises real estate prices in the areas he has a building with his name on it. Although I do disagree with you about the value that a no-name luxurious building brings to a city. They don't create the buzz internationally for your city like you are seeing with this one. I am guessing a thread with a "no name" project wouldn't get a fraction of the interest like this one has received. In regards to "One Bedford" that you mentioned, I am sorry to say that I have never heard of it. Hence, the problem with no name properties and the lack of interest in them outside of the local Toronto area.

The good news is that you are getting both types of projects. If you want a deal in these types of buildings, you need to buy early. Most projects sell at or just under cost when they start selling their units so you have to be prepared to sit and wait for years before you can move in.

I suppose there's nothing wrong with setting aside a separate class of buildings for offshore investors who've been told that Toronto property is woefully underpriced and that they should therefore buy and flip these properties to one another while they can. Just don't expect the locals to rush for those properties as well. We're underpriced compared to London etc., but we're not London etc. We have our own local conditions of supply and demand, and a market of housing costs that most sensible buyers are aware of.

I suppose there's nothing wrong with setting aside a separate class of buildings for offshore investors who've been told that Toronto property is woefully underpriced and that they should therefore buy and flip these properties to one another while they can. Just don't expect the locals to rush for those properties as well. We're underpriced compared to London etc., but we're not London etc. We have our own local conditions of supply and demand, and a market of housing costs that most sensible buyers are aware of.

Of course. However, 35% of the sales to date have been to Canadians.

Can't disagree with you that Trump usually raises real estate prices in the areas he has a building with his name on it. Although I do disagree with you about the value that a no-name luxurious building brings to a city. They don't create the buzz internationally for your city like you are seeing with this one. I am guessing a thread with a "no name" project wouldn't get a fraction of the interest like this one has received. In regards to "One Bedford" that you mentioned, I am sorry to say that I have never heard of it.

The value of a "no-name" luxury building is that it isn't about buzz, it's about the building. The trouble with Trump is that too much of the associated explanation for the high prices is just based on buzz (at least in the popular reading of it). In other words, Trump the man tends to lead Trump the building, and because of that, no one really knows if the building is actually worth it.

The value of a "no-name" luxury building is that it isn't about buzz, it's about the building. The trouble with Trump is that too much of the associated explanantion for the high prices is just based on buzz (at least in the popular reading of it). In other words, Trump the man tends to lead Trump the building, and because of that, no one really knows if the building is actually worth it.

At $400 Million this building better be worth it, or there may be trouble.

Trump will be a Jewel in the Skyline with its NYC architecture style.:)

It will take attention away from the UGLY DUCKLING FCP.

Trump will be a Jewel in the Skyline with its NYC architecture style.:)

That was funny!

While it will no doubt be a nice a slender tower, I think it lost it's jewel definition when it lost it's height. As for FCPD yes it's ugly and the only way that will change is if they re-clad it and lose the antennas on top if or at least reduce it to one and make it look as good as the one atop of CIBC.

In other words, Trump the man tends to lead Trump the building, and because of that, no one really knows if the building is actually worth it.

Put this same building anywhere in Manhattan and it would sell for $3000 sq. ft. minimum. The difference is people in New York know first hand what Trump brings in quality and are willing to pay for it. As everyone should expect, Trump will have to "prove it" to the local Toronto market to get more of them excited about this project. I am guessing that the ones that have bought already are familiar with Trump towers in New York. The service and attention to detail is what sets it apart from most any other hotel in the world. That certainly comes at a significant cost so that is why these units cost what they do. If Talon fails to deliver on this, they wasted all the money they spent licensing the Trump name. I doubt that will happen and as a matter of fact, I already bet money on it. :)

Put this same building anywhere in Manhattan and it would sell for $3000 sq. ft. minimum. The difference is people in New York know first hand what Trump brings in quality and are willing to pay for it. As everyone should expect, Trump will have to "prove it" to the local Toronto market to get more of them excited about this project.

No one is saying Trump will fail, just that the success of the building (as in to what degree) remains to be seen. As for this Trump being $3000 a square foot in Manhattan, it isn't in Manhattan, and Toronto isn't NYC.

I wonder if the reason the construction crew didn't want their pictures taken, was because this project might run into some serious problems- maybe pictures of the crew could in some way implicate them in areas of the project?
Who knows? Its also questionable where Alex Schnaider (financier) got his money from- maffia- dubious business deals? Also, not to be an annoying detractor, but is it possible that the cost of this building is actually somewhat inflated to create more hype?

p5

Implicate them in what? They are construction workers putting up a building. They have no connection to however Alex made his money.

And $400 million doesn't sound inflated for a luxury 900+ footer going up on a lot that small.

I wonder if the reason the construction crew didn't want their pictures taken, was because this project might run into some serious problems- maybe pictures of the crew could in some way implicate them in areas of the project?
Who knows? Its also questionable where Alex Schnaider (financier) got his money from- maffia- dubious business deals? Also, not to be an annoying detractor, but is it possible that the cost of this building is actually somewhat inflated to create more hype?

p5

The money for this building came from the same place the money for every other building comes from - the banks.

Back