Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

agreed its strange that it seems so behind.
and if i were some of you who had to look at the scaffolding at grade level all the time id be tired of it to. keep patient, im sure it will all be done and over with soon. on a side note. to all construction workers on these developments and future ones to come... Please for the love of... use extra caution every single time when installing the windows on your buildings. this is really an embarrassement for your companies. and suposed skilled workers. im some one who does not believe in the word accident. everything is avoidable if everyones paying attention so please i beg you. i like to visit the city and would rather not be or know some one who died from a falling piece of glass in your city. thanks in advance.

Sorry, I'm usually pretty patient with your posts, but this one is so hypocritical that I cannot let it pass without comment.

You have the consistently worst written and worst spelled posts on UrbanToronto—they are painful to read— and yet you would dare to chastise the workers who dropped the glass as being supposedly skilled. You don't believe in accidents. It's all avoidable if everyone is paying attention. Blah blah blah. To my eyes your lack of attention to spelling and clear communication belies your concern over the professionalism of others. Present yourself more carefully and maybe you'd have a leg to stand on.

Here's your post with mistakes fixed, other than the trendy no capitals thing, I wouldn't want to kill the vibe.

agreed it's strange that it seems so behind.
and if i were some of you who had to look at the scaffolding at grade level all the time i'd be tired of it too. keep patient, i'm sure it will all be done and over with soon. on a side note, to all construction workers on these developments and future ones to come, please for the love of... use extra caution every single time when installing the windows on your buildings. this is really an embarrassment for your companies and supposed skilled workers. i'm someone who does not believe in the word accident. everything is avoidable if everyone's paying attention so please i beg you. i like to visit the city and would rather not be or know someone who died from a falling piece of glass in your city. thanks in advance.

Pardon the rant, but that was one embarrassement[sic] too many.

Last edited:
to all construction workers on these developments and future ones to come... Please for the love of... use extra caution every single time when installing the windows on your buildings. this is really an embarrassement for your companies. and suposed skilled workers. im some one who does not believe in the word accident. everything is avoidable if everyones paying attention so please i beg you. i like to visit the city and would rather not be or know some one who died from a falling piece of glass in your city. thanks in advance.

As a window installer, I'd like to respectfully tell you to get bent. Yes, with the benefit of hindsight it's always possible to engage in counterfactuals and come up with some alternate scenario that may have prevented an accident, but it's ludicrous to claim that everything is avoidable. I don't know the particular installers that were up there, but I do know the company and the talent pool they draw from and I know that they were in fact probably the most highly qualified installers in the city. I don't know what caused the accident, but to assume it was negligence without having any of the facts is quite the bold leap on your part.

So I'm still not clear on whether or not this building is "officially" done construction. Currently the building is a dark void on the skyline at night, has no lights on at night (meaning no residents), is missing letters in it's signage, and has messy green netting on the roof. We're about 7 months past the official opening and 4 months past the date they said the roof would be done and the skyscraperpage entry says it's not under construction. The conspiracy theorist in me is starting to get the feeling that this building is associated with some shady people.

Like most buildings, the interiors in Trump are for the most part being completed from bottom towards the top. If you've read our front page stories you'll know that the level of finishes in the suites here are much higher than in the standard condo in this city, and so they take longer to complete.

The official opening was for the hotel. It was not a declaration that all the condominium suites were ready all of a sudden. Virtually all of the interior work prior to the hotel portion opening went to getting that section of the building done in time for that.

Regarding the roof and sign, I do not know enough about the construction up there to comment intelligently on that.

Regarding shady people… sorry, but your assumptions seem to have risen out of ignorance of what is going on, not out of particular knowledge, so I think you're unqualified to make that accusation.

Wow the gossip is really crazy here.

A sheet of glass fell while construction workers were installing it. It fell and hit another window. My question is why didn't Urban Toronto put this on the main page? This is the kind of news Urban Toronto would cover, no? Unless UT is in bed with developers now, to get inside scoops and VIP access to events? Pretty big story in my opinion. Especially with this being the second time. Not assuming or blaming or pointing fingers, just a legitimate question from someone who's been on this site a long time.

Khristopher, please! You criticize others on here for gossiping and then you ask that?!

Why didn't we put it on the front page? We don't have big newsroom. We're a small office that can't necessarily jump on everything right away as we are usually off at a meeting somewhere or writing it up afterwards. We don't monitor calls to the police, and we don't even necessarily see what's going up in the forum right away. Another person from the office may have seen this already, but I'm only catching up on three days worth of posts in this thread now, and frankly if you weren't into the thread before an hour or so had passed after the glass fell then you'd know by then that it was a post-construction accident by window installers, so no need to blow it out of proportion.

Besides all of that, I am not interested in turning UrbanToronto into a Toronto Sun scandal-sheet type of media outlet. There already is the Sun for that, along with countless other news outlets. There's no point in us trying to cover a couple broken panes of glass before anyone knows why it happened when we've got our few people dedicated to brining you (hopefully!) better researched stories of more lasting significance.

Finally, suggesting that we are in bed with these guys because we didn't cover it? Well, we're simply not getting that kind of action from the developers(!) and it's not like you wouldn't find out about a pane of falling glass if we didn't cover it, and we're not so silly to think that we could cover something up and protect a developer by not reporting it. Yes, the ads on the site from developers indicate that they are helping to pay the bills. No, we do not promise them that their ride on UrbanToronto will be perfectly smooth. They know that they can be criticized on UrbanToronto, and buying ads does not change that.

I hope that's a reasonable response to your concern.

It does, but there was no need to react so hostile. It was a fair and honest question.

As far as breaking news, you have posted breaking news before. Maybe not yourself, but it's been up on the main page before when there was breaking news. I was just surprised to not see it there. Falling glass from Canada's largest residential tower is breaking news, no? Even without any facts of who, what, when, where and why. Just simply reporting that glass has fallen, and more to come would have been sufficient I think. Maybe you should look into having someone who's on top of these sorts of breaking news stories to post on UT when they happen. It's not like I haven't offered my help many times ;)

It's a totally different type of breaking news. If we know about a new project before anyone else does, great! If glass falls, every news outlet will be on that in seconds. Better to find out why first.

How? How is it preventable? You've never been up on a stage, you've never handled a piece of glass, you've never used a cup, you have absolutely no clue what's involved, how can you possibly have the gall to sit behind your keyboard and say that there's no such thing as an accident? And it wasn't even my company involved, so don't even try to pass it off as self-interest on my part.

touchy! but my point was to make sure extra caution is used not putting blame just saying. these types of so called accidents are preventable in the first place so. i dont appologise for thinking of safety. for my self or others. also i dint directly blame anyone. If anyone else sees my point as an observer of toronto seeing all tnese " acciendents" and thankfully no pnes been hurt but for one min. lets look at what could happen should someone jay walk downtown there and be impailed by one of these.lets get that image in yourheads this is peventable in the first place sodobt give me that please and respecfully i say care comes before defending ones company.

I read that and my brain feels funny, and not ha ha funny.
'Sodobt' - is that a new word?

I apologize to those who were offended by my comment I see it was a tad harsh. and to blunt! I did not mean any offense, and wish to retract my comment. I would like my quotes deleted. Also, I apologize for my grammar and spelling mistakes. I do need to proof read and perhaps not comment again on touchy safety issues. I may not know all that is involved with construction and installations so i will no longer comment in this regards.
Special apologies to: Whatever, Ralph and all others to whom I have angered and offended.

As a window installer, I'd like to respectfully tell you to get bent. Yes, with the benefit of hindsight it's always possible to engage in counterfactuals and come up with some alternate scenario that may have prevented an accident, but it's ludicrous to claim that everything is avoidable. I don't know the particular installers that were up there, but I do know the company and the talent pool they draw from and I know that they were in fact probably the most highly qualified installers in the city. I don't know what caused the accident, but to assume it was negligence without having any of the facts is quite the bold leap on your part.
My comment was harsh. for that I apologize. and for spelling mistakes. They did a great job overall on this project and others. I reacted to that issue without thinking it through.

Buyer beware anybody?

http://www.thestar.com/business/art...tled-investors-to-close-deals-they-now-regret
Trump Tower developer suing 7 disgruntled investors to close deals they now regret

cecd79a540918dacac265fcb63a1.jpg

AARON HARRIS FOR THE TORONTO STAR
Javad Heydary, centre, leads an eight-lawyer team including Min Kim, left, and Mitch Wine, right, who have been looking at the Trump deals on behalf of some investors.

Developers of Toronto’s Trump International Hotel & Tower have launched lawsuits against seven investors in an effort to force them to close on deals for condo-hotel suites some claim haven’t turned out to be the Hollywood gold buyers were expecting.
The legal move by Talon International Inc. comes at the same time that a London, Ont. doctor is seeking $750,000 in damages for “misrepresentation,” unless he can get back deposits on the hotel suite he bought in the ill-fated project back in 2009.
The court wrangling is just the latest round of problems to curse the celebrity hotel and condo project at Bay and Adelaide Sts.
Dozens of purchasers of suites in the 65-storey luxury hotel are now trying to get deposits back and renege on final payments averaging over $500,000.
Other buyers, some too frightened of the legal ramifications to walk away from deals penned up to seven years ago, say they are finding themselves in a crippling Catch-22 — unable to sell the units or secure mortgages on balances due to Talon Nov. 29.
“One mortgage company asked me, ‘How could I give you a mortgage on a property that is losing money every single day?” said one devastated buyer, a blue-collar worker who borrowed the $175,000 down payment from his immigrant parents and owes $750,000 at month’s end.
“It’s very scary,” says the GTA resident, one of about a dozen investors who spoke to The Star on condition their names not be used.
Most were caught up in the get-rich-quick mentality of Toronto’s booming condo market and intended to flip the units or use them to generate retirement income.
Talon has been facing an escalating buyer revolt since last February as the glitzy Trump Hotel set to open and buyers found out that maintenance fees, property taxes and other incidentals on the project’s 276 hotel-condo units had skyrocketed from Talon’s earlier projections.
Emergency doctor Ganesh Ram alleges in his lawsuit that his costs jumped 40 per cent, with property taxes alone (the hotel-condos are considered commercial rather than residential units) now at $30,000 a year. While revenues from the hotel were meant to more than offset those kind of costs, buyers say they’ve been told hotel occupancy is running anywhere from 10 to 50 per cent and room rates are averaging about $300 per night instead of the $600 and up Talon had originally touted.
Based on the startling new numbers, buyers have alerted Talon they plan to rescind their deals, citing the fee hikes as a “material change” under the Condominium Act.
Talon’s lawsuits, filed in Newmarket’s Ontario Superior Court of Justice in the summer, are seeking a declaration from the court that they aren’t a material change and that deals must stand.
Talon refused to discuss details of the lawsuits. None of the buyers named in the suits would speak publicly.
“Purchasers that entered into agreements of purchase and sale with Talon are not amateurs. The purchasers made these commercial investments in the light of day and presumably on the advice of their legal counsel,” Talon told The Star in an email through its public relations firm.
“We have full confidence in the court’s wisdom to interpret and enforce the terms and conditions of the agreements that were entered into by those few purchasers which have chosen to resile from their binding obligations to Talon.”
While domestic and international investors have largely fuelled the condo boom since 2007 — buying up units and renting them out — the Talon/Trump project is very different. It has 379 suites, some 118 of them residential condos, the other 261 being hotel-condos that go into a rental pool.
Owners of those hotel suites pay commercial, rather than residential taxes, “common element” and other fees, including $87 every night there is someone sleeping in their bed. According to financial estimates in online promotional material, graced by The Donald’s smiling face, those costs would be more than offset by Trump Tower’s revenues.
Toronto lawyer Javad Heydary has been advising eight Korean purchasers and has been contacted by representatives of more than 40 other buyers seeking to rescind offers. He’s had a team of eight lawyers examining the deals.
What Heydary found came as a shock, especially to some buyers who readily admit they were so blinded by the flash and cash of Donald Trump that they didn’t do proper due diligence: Buyers weren’t purchasing so much a condo as a share in a high-end hotel that, so far at least, is losing money.
Some buyers are sophisticated investors. But many others are hard-working immigrants who just want their life savings back — 20 per cent deposits now sitting in trust and due to be released to Talon on closing.
“Everybody on their own or through advisors — financial advisors, real estate brokers or pension administrators — heard about this opportunity and was attracted because of the name Trump,” says Heydary.
“They were not only buying into what they thought was a good investment, they were buying a piece of Hollywood.”

Sounds a lot like 1 King West... I have seen the price of those hotel/condo suites slowly dropping for years on the resale market.

While revenues from the hotel were meant to more than offset those kind of costs, buyers say they’ve been told hotel occupancy is running anywhere from 10 to 50 per cent and room rates are averaging about $300 per night instead of the $600 and up Talon had originally touted.

People fell for that? They honestly believed a hotel this size could get away charging $600 plus a night with 2 other five star hotels within a stones throw distance?

Sounds a lot like 1 King West... I have seen the price of those hotel/condo suites slowly dropping for years on the resale market.

Exactly. i know friends of mine who visit the city on a budget have gotten some cheap hotel deals at One King. I remember it being a lot more expensive the first year it opened.

These hotel units just seem like another crafty way of passing on significant risk to small-time investors. After this and the commercial units in Aura, I think there will be a healthy dose of investor skepticism in the GTA concerning anything that isn't a traditional condo unit.

People fell for that? They honestly believed a hotel this size could get away charging $600 plus a night with 2 other five star hotels within a stones throw distance?

Exactly. i know friends of mine who visit the city on a budget have gotten some cheap hotel deals at One King. I remember it being a lot more expensive the first year it opened.

As an owner in One King, I can tell you that the two projects are very different. Although we had early issues with our developer, we have taken control of our building, put a good hotel management team in place and by and large, are now very happy with our investment. Prices in One King are artificially low because of perceptions created at the beginning of operations and very tight financing restrictions placed on these types of suites by the big banks. I can tell you that I am happy with my monthly cash flow (which more than pays for all expenses including mortgage payments). This will be very hard to achieve in Trump Tower due to their extremely high fees and outrageous capital cost of their suites. I feel bad for these investors.

Back