Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

Happened to be waiting around Temperance last night, and I was amazed just how nice the square is with BAC, Scotia Plaza and now Trump lighting up the area. I can't believe that 6 years ago the site was "the stump" and a parking lot! Amazing city. Amazing times.

August 16th:

A2s9s.jpg

Yeah, if it was way bigger and taller, had an exciting, 'out-there', 'over-the-top' design, used way better materials, wasn’t recycling the corniest of late 80’s PoMo architecture moves, didn’t have an jarringly ugly exterior palette of teal, black, beige and grey, and wasn’t just a box with a uncomfortably elongated fat probe thing sticking off the top of it, then it would be just like Dubai.

anyway here's the now cancelled Trump International Hotel & Tower in Dubai itself. pretty much the same as ours i guess....

4532ffed.jpg

Comparing a built tower to a fantasy render (and that's all cancelled projects are) is never legitimate in my eyes. I could design the most beautiful, elaborate and expensive tower, call everything else built in this city shit by comparison, but that cool render wont have the restraints of actually being funded and built.

Comparing a built tower to a fantasy render (and that's all cancelled projects are) is never legitimate in my eyes. I could design the most beautiful, elaborate and expensive tower, call everything else built in this city shit by comparison, but that cool render wont have the restraints of actually being funded and built.

built not built, render not render, not really relevant to the point. which is, this thing looks nothing like anything in Dubai.
Duh, why? maybe, but not Dubai.

Yes I agree it's not "Dubai", I just thought the thrust of your post, from your description of our trump, was that it's terrible in comparison. And while it may be terrible, I just thought the best basis for comparison isn't something that isn't real. Disregard my earlier post then if that wasn't the intent.

Yes I agree it's not "Dubai", I just thought the thrust of your post, from your description of our trump, was that it's terrible in comparison. And while it may be terrible, I just thought the best basis for comparison isn't something that isn't real. Disregard my earlier post then if that wasn't the intent.

point taken. i hate that Trump Dubai thing anyway, as well as all those other stupid looking towers that have been proposed (and occasionally built) there.

Back