Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

Of course light can be a medium for art, what I think Marko might be hinting at is that this particular piece is merely a strip of LEDs running straight up the corner of a building - hardly original or requiring the mind of an artist. However, I think the creativity will be borne out in how the LEDs are illuminated and the patterns that are created. This will hardly be a static fixture.
Mostly this, yes - thank you. Knowing how these things are programmed and animated, I know that the true work is done by someone other than Snow.

further, i would imagine that the reason you wouldn't think of "passing yourself off as an artist or your work/products as "public art" is because you are not an artist, and are thereby not in a position to produce works of public art.
I took graphic design in college and have dabbled in many art forms from pointillism to tattoos to murals and sculpture. Despite producing many things others would perceive as art, I never considered myself an artist because I always looked at it as functional work, not something that I have to convince someone of its value. I also have some music in my background and despite being in bands, along with producing all manner of signs, displays, movie props, themed environments, etc... I consider myself a craftsman who creates functional products of an understood value.

Art to me is something more esoteric or metaphysical that is more about feeling and expression and difficult to put a value on, because it evokes different responses from different viewers. There's no need for my work to be propped up or promoted by other 'artists' like some sort of self affirmation society. Most of what gets passed off as art is highly questionable and of little genuine value, so it takes a whole industry of people to create a whole economy around crap, in order to get donations, grants, patrons, etc... Nothing drove me more nuts than someone trying to blow sunshine up my ass over my work, when I knew it was little more than "I will compliment you so you will some day compliment me". The art world is full of pretense and horse shit. The last "Oh bravo, Marko!" I got almost resulted in a punch to the face of the conniving person whose mouth it came out sideways from.

The greatest compliment I can receive is getting paid exactly what I asked for because it's worth exactly that, to a buyer who is happy to pay it.

However, I think the creativity will be borne out in how the LEDs are illuminated and the patterns that are created.

LOL, They're using the free version of MagicQ.

Mismatched Panels

The mismatched panels on the west side of the tower are finally being replaced... I knew I would see this day eventually :cool:

There's no need for my work to be propped up or promoted by other 'artists' like some sort of self affirmation society.

Most of what gets passed off as art is highly questionable and of little genuine value, so it takes a whole industry of people to create a whole economy around crap, in order to get donations, grants, patrons, etc...

Nothing drove me more nuts than someone trying to blow sunshine up my ass over my work,

The art world is full of pretense and horse shit.

The last "Oh bravo, Marko!" I got almost resulted in a punch to the face of the conniving person...

your contempt for art is coming through loud and clear, as is your lack of knowledge of art history.

people have been spouting off this way about 'modern art' since the rise of Impressionism in the 1860's, reaching various high water marks in the 1910's with Dadaism, Futurism, and Cubism, 1950's with Abstract Expressionism, the 1970's with minimalism, Arte Povera, Earth Art, performance art etc, and the 1980's with the rise of post-modernism and appropriation art.

and as always, the eternal return of these kinds of 'opinions', which are always cloaked in the pretense of 'telling it like it is', 'cutting through the BS' are of absolutely no interest or merit.

cartoon from 1918:

234fcd3f.png

The LED light strip seems to be on every night now, I think this evening is the second or third night in a row. The lights are stationary for now and are a sort of mauve-ish colour and the intensity of the lights has been cranked down substantially.

people have been spouting off this way about 'modern art' since the rise of Impressionism in the 1860's, reaching various high water marks in the 1910's with Dadaism, Futurism, and Cubism, 1950's with Abstract Expressionism, the 1970's with minimalism, Arte Povera, Earth Art, performance art etc, and the 1980's with the rise of post-modernism and appropriation art.
Proof that it's not just blowing sunshine up other people asses, it's also about getting a 4' long hose and blowing yourself some sunshine too. "Look how much I know!"

and as always, the eternal return of these kinds of 'opinions', which are always cloaked in the pretense of 'telling it like it is', 'cutting through the BS' are of absolutely no interest or merit.
Are the color changing lights on media tower at the Eaton Centre gaining anyone acclaim for their public art? The CN Tower? Underpass Park? The building at Yonge & Temperance? Was there recognition for those artists?

Marko - there are degrees to everything. The artists who create Velvet Elvis paintings get no recognition, but you wouldn't likely wonder why, even though painting is the universally understood medium.

Maybe once you see the show operating that Snow has created you'll be more generous in your reception of it. Maybe not. Whether you do or not though, your attempt to dismiss art simply because you believe that it is not functional is bizarre in the extreme.

Are the color changing lights on media tower at the Eaton Centre gaining anyone acclaim for their public art? The CN Tower? Underpass Park? The building at Yonge & Temperance? Was there recognition for those artists?

Actually, of those four, Underpass Park's the most likely, since it's an integral part of an urban design scheme. And there's a Toronto predecent of sorts.

taken from the panorama lounge with my gs3

IsHCu.jpg

my friend agreed the lite spire looks cool

Back