Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

There are no provisions in place to climb the curved glass of the spire. Servicing the LED units is not as simple as 'changing a lightbulb', as the curved glass would actually need to be removed in order to accomplish that. How is the climber supposed to do that? What are they supposed to do with the removed unit? How are they supposed to actually climb curved glass? It is not possible to do what you say with the way the building is currently designed.

They use suction cups. That simple.

Uh...isn't that bucket and the catwalk to it just temporarily there to instal the cladding on the spire?
It's obviously all getting completely removed when it's done.

Nope, that's the real thing

Oh come on...nobody is that stoopit. And I know for a fact that Rob Ford did not design this tower.

You don't go to all that trouble to design a significant, purely aesthetic sleek crown/spire on a tower (ok, it's not that great to start), and then leave that much crap all over it. It's far too noticeable.

I can see people putting all number of crap on the top of a flat-roofed building that is not part of the actual designed architecture...but not this.

^^ Totally agree, the stairway looks terrible, can't imagine why someone would design it that way. It looks like the space inside the 1/4 dome is empty, why not have the stairs inside, accessible from a door at the bottom?

Also, that maintenance support could have been designed to hide in the dome when not in use, as well. Or if that isn't possible, at least actually designed as a pleasing integral feature of the spire/mast instead of simply ugly and functional.

Ground level

photo-1931.jpg

looks great ^^^ digging the warm look.. that picture thing on the wall is still a bit out of place., and it's going to be interesting seeing how this in and out system will work with the cars and the traffic,

i want more interior pics !!!!

I'm not saying anyone is stupid. You guys don't have to believe me, but one way or another, those are both the final products and permanent fixtures of the tower.

If you go back to pictures of the onion dome after it was first being erected, you can see that it had a different catwalk. It was later changed to the final version (around the same time as the onion dome was decked). The catwalk can't be 'inside' because the interior of the dome is part of the penthouse. There is nowhere else to put it.

Blame the designers and consultants.

It's impressive how this project continually finds new ways to disappoint, and it's difficult to understand how any project of this scale and expense could have seemingly been designed and executed with so little thought. Even the New York Towers on Bayview put this architectural abortion to shame. Simply awful.

Thank god that this is Talon's only project (which may explain a lot).

... oh man... i feel bad for Trump... so much criticism/lack of universal appeal.

but it IS the most different out of the other 5 star hotel condo complexes (FS, Ritz, Shangri-la)... this is a change of pace from the glass curtainwall towers and the onion dome certainly makes a nice statement on the skyline.. 10x more than Shangri-la or Four Seasons (ritz is close with the slanted roof... but completely boring from the north and south).

hopefully trump tower will gain a little more appreciation over the years when the building is finally open and complete.

i think this one turned out close enough to the renders given, so if you didn't like the renders, you'll be dissapointed.

i still have high hopes that this is the best if not second best in terms of interiors compared to the other ones.

EDIT:
i know this is the old render, but is the dome gonna be lit up in any way?
trump_tower.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
i think this one turned out close enough to the renders given, so if you didn't like the renders, you'll be dissapointed.

On the contrary, I loved the renders but a lot of the detailing, colour and even entire setbacks didn't come to life in the actual project (and I don't see any birds nest in those old renderings either). I've never seen a project that so poorly followed through on its initial renderings. They almost look like two entirely different projects. That's why I'm disappointed.

Back