Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

6127823352_b51d6d2c4d_b.jpg

6127822374_1ace977dd9_b.jpg

6127273703_4fb04c0e0d_b.jpg

6127821978_85d4f69115_b.jpg

6127273529_eb9d6da737_b.jpg

6127821610_f329cc6a60_b.jpg

6127272605_be737e5d3c_b.jpg

Just took these from the terrace in my building. Taken on my BlackBerry, so mind the crappiness.
IMG-20110908-00025.jpg

IMG-20110908-00026.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20110908-00025.jpg
    IMG-20110908-00025.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG-20110908-00026.jpg
    IMG-20110908-00026.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 225
Wasn't there a discussion early this year about there not being operational windows at Trump, or was it The Ritz? Anyway I was standing at Queen & Yonge waiting for the 501 west on Monday and noticed the east side windows opened when I was scoping out that side of Trump. I was just reminded of it by androiduk's photo above.

I'm thrilled that we have so many box-like towers, in combination with such an unrelenting street grid. When I walk to the end of my Riverdale street and admire the sculptural massing of the downtown towers from across the valley, I'm seeing them at a jaunty 45 degree angle because of a street grid which I sense rather than see and which helps maintain a sense of order and unity to the buildings - and that includes Trump, because it's basically a box too in the bigger picture, and is also turned at the same 45 degrees. Seeing the skyline from an angle gives it a new aspect that it wouldn't have if there were no uniform street grid and none of the buildings conformed to a basic type; the only tall structure that fails this test is the only one that's not a box - the CN Tower, which doesn't transform but looks the same from all directions.

I think that the CBD skyline was dull before Scotia Plaza and Brookfield Place were built. I love TD, but the rest of the box-like towers don't equal TD in any respect.

For my tastes, I would love to see Bay Adelaide east constructed of a material different from Bay Adelaide West, rise to about 80 or 85 storeys (compared to the 72 of FCP) and the developers should explore new shape and massing, and perhaps incorporate staggering, stepping, and a peak or point. This is not going to happen though. I can hold out hope for the third tower in Brookfield, and also at 90 Harbour, and Front/University. Please, anything but another block.

As much as I don't care for The Donald, I'd like to personally thank him for the spire, I think it's great.

Wasn't there a discussion early this year about there not being operational windows at Trump, or was it The Ritz? Anyway I was standing at Queen & Yonge waiting for the 501 west on Monday and noticed the east side windows opened when I was scoping out that side of Trump. I was just reminded of it by androiduk's photo above.

It was the Ritz Carlton. Can you imagine living in unit with no opening windows? No thanks!! Recently I stayed a week in a hotel with none opening windows i absolutely hated having the AC on constantly even though it was cool enough outside, it would have been nice to have a window to open to let in some fresh air.

Thinking about the spire....

Since the light feature running up the building will continue up the Northwest of the Spire, and the underlying structure of the spire is symmetrical on all four sides... I wonder if the whole Spire above the dome will be surrounded by these light strips? Perhaps that is why the Spire is referred to as "Glass Spire" on plan drawings supplied by wopchop.

Interesting that this building will ultimately be considered in some ways 'taller' than Scotia Plaza because of the spire that will eventually surpass the height of it... but in reality Trump still appears to be completely dwarfed by Scotia Plaza (from every single angle).

Interesting that this building will ultimately be considered in some ways 'taller' than Scotia Plaza because of the spire that will eventually surpass the height of it... but in reality Trump still appears to be completely dwarfed by Scotia Plaza (from every single angle).

i don't think it appears dwarfed from Adelaide, close to Bay.

By Saint2884

6127822374_1ace977dd9_b.jpg

urbandreamer, that's a really great pic! I hope you don't mind, I've taken the liberty of doing the ol' Photoshop "auto levels" fix for it.

024xtd_by_urbandreamer_of_urbantoronto.ca.jpg

I'm not won over by Trump but I still think it was a shame that they chopped out 10 floors for whatever the real reason was.

Back