Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

It's kind of crazy that no one can produce curtain wall in the US or Canada. Scary too.

There are piles of curtainwall factories in the GTA. Far East must've just outbid everyone. And from what I'm hearing the product is crap, but I haven't seen it firsthand.

from today
20110724a060.jpg

20110724a103.jpg

20110724a030.jpg

Last edited:
There are piles of curtainwall factories in the GTA. Far East must've just outbid everyone. And from what I'm hearing the product is crap, but I haven't seen it firsthand.

I remember The Donald on Pierce Morgan around the time "he" got Obama to show his real "live certificate of birth" (insert laugh here) and all that bragging which went along with that nonsense. Anyway, I don't dispute your claim but I distinctly remember during his anti-Chinese diatribe later in the show that he said no one produces curtain wall for his condo's in the USA (so I presumed Canada too) so he has to buy from the Chinese and he was making a big deal out of it. So more bullsh*t from a master bullsh*tter then.

Totally false. Off the top of my head in the GTA I can think of four major curtainwall fabricators, half a dozen windowwall shops, and plenty of other smaller players. There's piles of fabricators in the States as well. Again, the Chinese stuff is just cheaper.

Granted, there are some oddball things that don't seem to get made locally. I don't believe anyone local has the ability to do large-scale custom curved glass, which is why the AGO's stairwell lites came in from Kentucky. I believe it's also a pain to get the glass for spider-fitted walls and also for glass mullion walls (it's come from China the times I've put it up)

Edit: Just to spite The Donald, there's http://www.viracon.com/ and http://www.harmoninc.com/

Last edited:
holy cow, i didn't realize that photo was a mosaic!... i thought i was just a purposely blurred photo, only to reveal the audience from a distance... wow... cool... though i would have gone with a better themed picture...

I was watching the person to the left installed a 2' x 2' panel yesterday and it show that mosaic was causing the issues with my photos.

For a first class place, they are using this that belongs in a 3rd rated hotel and that cheep.

They are definitely working on the lighting installation on the corner today. It looks like the prep to receive the fixtures is now largely complete and they are starting to move in the fixtures themselves. If what's installed already is any indication, this should give the corner a nice polished look.

Back