News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 407     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Toronto St. Clair West Transit Improvements | ?m | ?s | TTC

surely the TTC will fix this won't they?....i'm seriously asking the question

Christopher Hume would be interested in seeing these pics as well; including any other urban issues columnists in the Toronto media.

the new LRTs should beable to handel that better than our current ones. Independent trucks are more flexiable than traditional bogies.

Before we start screaming at the City, are we really sure this was an accident and not planned?

It's pretty difficult to lay concrete and track like that. I think if something were accidental, you'd see straight sections at odd angles trying to meet up, no? Was St.Clair ever a straight street to begin with? Maybe they were able to avoid grading the street by making that stretch bendy.

Before we start screaming at the City, are we really sure this was an accident and not planned?

It's pretty difficult to lay concrete and track like that. I think if something were accidental, you'd see straight sections at odd angles trying to meet up, no? Was St.Clair ever a straight street to begin with? Maybe they were able to avoid grading the street by making that stretch bendy.

That's what I was thinking too. I'm assuming that the steel tracks have to bent at the factory and not just on the fly to fit properly. In which case this is probably planned. Just planned badly but I don't know about blaming the specific contractor.

I am fairly certain that this is infact a result of nothing more or less than:

SHEER INCOMPETENCE.

I am fairly certain that this is infact a result of nothing more or less than:

SHEER INCOMPETENCE.

But as I and a couple others have asked, specifically how do you know that?

Do you just not like the look of squiggly tracks and assume they were assembled by a three year old or do you have some underlying expertise (or a reputable and expert source)?

I honestly don't know but none of the people who have sad the tracks are bad have provided any substantive reason beyond the fact they aren't straight. Does that automatically mean they are terrible?

Given the tracks are delivered in very straight sections, one must presumably try pretty hard to get them to bend in that manner (how? heat them up? brute force?) so likely the installers were very aware of what they were doing. The question: is what they did going to cause significant problems for operations?

But as I and a couple others have asked, specifically how do you know that?

Do you just not like the look of squiggly tracks and assume they were assembled by a three year old or do you have some underlying expertise (or a reputable and expert source)?

I honestly don't know but none of the people who have sad the tracks are bad have provided any substantive reason beyond the fact they aren't straight. Does that automatically mean they are terrible?

Given the tracks are delivered in very straight sections, one must presumably try pretty hard to get them to bend in that manner (how? heat them up? brute force?) so likely the installers were very aware of what they were doing. The question: is what they did going to cause significant problems for operations?

Please, do correct me if I'm mistaken, but although I'm no streetcar expert I'm quite sure no streetcar/LRT vehicle in existence would be able to navigate that...atrocious path without riding off the rails at least once. Especially the area just past where that person on the tracks is standing. It's just asking for derailment.

Given the tracks are delivered in very straight sections, one must presumably try pretty hard to get them to bend in that manner (how? heat them up? brute force?)

Leverage. It's fairly easy to bend a long steel track due to the torque amplification provided by the long lever.

Please, do correct me if I'm mistaken, but although I'm no streetcar expert I'm quite sure no streetcar/LRT vehicle in existence would be able to navigate that

But that's the thing. I'm no streetcar expert either, so how can you be so sure? Yes, not being straight will presumably cause some swaying. But will it be damaging to equipment? Will it be enough to cause a derailment? How much will it slow down operations? Since neither of us are experts, neither of us can make any kind of definitive statement to this effect.

You say it will, but only because you don't like the squiggly lines and assume it is terrible.

My guess would be that there is less impact than you believe because such waves would have to be deliberately created.

But neither position has any substantive facts or knowledge to support it.

Leverage. It's fairly easy to bend a long steel track due to the torque amplification provided by the long lever.

Thanks. Given I've never tried to bend a piece of steel that thick or long, I didn't know. Still, it is something one would have to have done deliberately.

You are indeed right; I based my assumption because streetcars don't look like they can make those sharp turns. But I guess only time will tell.

Back