News   May 17, 2024
 2.6K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

Toronto St. Clair West Transit Improvements | ?m | ?s | TTC

From the minutes of the February 13th meeting:

Vice-Chair Mihevc moved that Staff be requested to submit a separate report on finishing the St. Clair LRT to Jane Street, with such report to include comment on the following matters:

• EA work;
  • timing of construction; and
  • inclusion in upcoming capital budgets.

Just wondering if Jane Street was a typo? Probably not. At least it looks like they could be thinking about it.

Last edited:
That's the minutes for February 18, 2009 meeting. The minutes for the April 3 meeting won't likely be out until just before the next meeting.

I wouldn't think it would be a typo - as there'd be no EA work necessary.

Does anyone know when they will rip up and replace the actual road surface of St. Clair? Wasn't that part of the plan - that they would do the tracks, the sidewalks, and eventually, what's left of the road way itself?

Does anyone know when they will rip up and replace the actual road surface of St. Clair? Wasn't that part of the plan - that they would do the tracks, the sidewalks, and eventually, what's left of the road way itself?
I don't know when, but definitely after the LRT is running to Caledonia, which is going to be coming soon...

Also, I was biking down St. Clair today and saw that they had some track pieces all the way over just past Old Weston Road. Has this been around for a while?

Stay off St Clair unless you have 30 or minutes to waste. Stay off 89 and 41 and find away to connect with them north of St Clair or a better way to get to where you want to go.

Videos as highlighted.

Stay away from St Clair from Caledonia to Keele for the next month as the eastbound lanes are close with single lane in the westbound lanes.

Major water work is taking place.

The existing bridge sidewalks will be remove to allow a 2nd lane to be put in. New tunnel under the tracks and on the other side of the bridge support. I have said this should happen from day one.

The 2nd area is between Winona and Oakwood that is a bottleneck as waterline work is taking place there now. The intersection on the north was a mess.

For a project that was moving gang busting a few weeks ago, it is crawling now. 65% of the rail is in place between Winona to Vaughan with 35% having top coat.

The intersection at Kendrick Ave where the Fire Hall is is close and no work taking place to get it open ASP.

I gave up waiting for a eastbound 512 at Oakwood after 10 minutes or 15 minutes after seeing last bus as well seeing 5 westbound buses in a pack.

I walked over to Dufferin and still saw no eastbound bus other than the one that was sitting with its flasher on west of Glenholme. It was sitting there while I was at Oakwood. There was another sitting across the street from it also going west with flashers on. There was over 30 minutes gap and only saw another eastbound as I was going south on 29.

I when backup around 5pm to try to shoot the ROW going west.

It took an extra 6 minutes to get to Dufferin from Bathurst cause by the mess at Oakwood.

It was disastrous west of Caledonia Rd. It took us 35 minutes to go from Caledonia to Keele.

The driver said he has only 21 minutes to do the run and this trip put him down 45 minutes.

Even 89 and 41 was a disastrous as I saw 2 89 and 2 41 trying to go north as a convoy just north of the CP overpass with traffic backup south of Dundas from St Clair.

Southbound on Old Weston Rd was backup as far as Roger Rd.

Dufferin PhaseIII

Welding of rail is taking place west of Keele St and the truck was leaking badly with sand around the wheels. The rail is being store west of the loop.

Last edited:
St. Clair Ave. W. Widening Cobalt Ave. to just east of Mondovi Gate

There will be a Public Open House on an EA to widen St. Clair Avenue West from Cobalt Avenue to just east of Mondovi Gate (traffic lights between Runnymede and Keele). It's about a block long, where St. Clair Avenue West narrows in the eastbound from 2 lanes to 1 lane. The eastbound lanes are currently 2 lanes on both east and west sides of that section.The westbound lanes are already 2 lanes wide, in that block.

Date: Monday, April 20, 2009
Time: 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm
69 Pritchard Avenue​

Apparently, the open house will "present the list of alternative solutions and evaluation results, introduce the recommened alternative solution and identify the next steps".

map.jpg

On Monday April 20, 2009, a Public Open House was held to present the list of alternative options for widening St. Clair Avenue West, just west of Gunns Road. Here's the link to the PDF.

The Preliminary Preferred Solution is: Alternative 1
Widen on the south side within existing right-of-way.

There will be a Public Open House on an EA to widen St. Clair Avenue West from Cobalt Avenue to just east of Mondovi Gate (traffic lights between Runnymede and Keele). It's about a block long, where St. Clair Avenue West narrows in the eastbound from 2 lanes to 1 lane. The eastbound lanes are currently 2 lanes on both east and west sides of that section.The westbound lanes are already 2 lanes wide, in that block.

Date: Monday, April 20, 2009
Time: 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm
69 Pritchard Avenue​

Apparently, the open house will "present the list of alternative solutions and evaluation results, introduce the recommened alternative solution and identify the next steps".

A total waste of time and doesn't do anything west of Syme. TTC will have to fall on the sword for that extension to Jane.

Some update May 3

Some update as of May 3
Phase 4
Water work still taking place in Phase 4 between Old Weston Rd and Keele St.

Phase 3
TTC has strung support wires at Lansdowne intersection to support the overhead. More work been added to the community centre that was not part of the project.

All streets connecting to St Clair have the old style lights fixture and most of them never had them in the first place.

Phase 2
Waterline work still taking place at Oakwood as well to the west.

If things go as plan, the ROW will be finish just east of Oakwood this weekend. The intersection at Hendrik is finally been work on allowing better access for the fire department. Not sure if there will be a u-turn at this point as it was not supposed to have one, but that may change with the change to meet the fire department needs.

There will be no centre pole or platform poles west of Hendrik to Oakwood to meet the fire department needs now. Wire will be strung the old fashion way.

Westbound traffic is using the new ROW from Vaughan Rd to Wychwood as sidewalk reconstruction is underway Sidewalk been badly cut.

Platforms cannot be built until all the sidewalks are rebuilt.

All locations for the centre poles as well other things have been temporary fill in for relocation of traffic.

Phase 1
All temporary and existing poles with old wires have finally been removed. New light fixtures lamps have replace the old ones that were installed during phase 1 work.

Phase 4
IMG_may-03-09-0005.jpg

IMG_may-03-09-0007.jpg

Phase 3
IMG_may-03-09-0013.jpg

IMG_may-03-09-0023.jpg

Phase 2
IMG_may-03-09-0027.jpg

IMG_may-03-09-0034.jpg

Hendrik
IMG_may-03-09-0043.jpg

Orange marks the location of the curb
IMG_may-03-09-0059.jpg

IMG_may-03-09-0061.jpg

IMG_may-03-09-0063.jpg

Its mind-boggling how they are creating a whole new infastructure, meanwhile keeping the ugly wooden/metal poles with overhead wires. Only in Toronto.:eek: Most modern cities anywhere in the world would take this opportunity to bury their electrical wires.

Its mind-boggling how they are creating a whole new infastructure, meanwhile keeping the ugly wooden/metal poles with overhead wires. Only in Toronto.:eek: Most modern cities anywhere in the world would take this opportunity to bury their electrical wires.

They are burying the electrical and communication wires along St. Clair. That is why it is taking so long, along with replacing pipes.

Roncesvalles will be keeping the electrical overhead wires when they reconstruct the road, but will be replacing their lead water pipes with new non-lead pipes.

If you look at Phases 1 & 3, you will see the existing poles and wires are gone with new light fixtures. Wires are underground now.

It cost $$ and time to bury the overhead system and very lower on the radar these days.

Taken two weeks ago:

DSCN0242.jpg

DSCN0241.jpg

DSCN0245.jpg

DSCN0247.jpg

DSCN0250.jpg

DSCN0253.jpg

DSCN0271.jpg

My god, this looks so much nicer without all those ugly electrical wires and the streetcar wires everywhere. This really gets rid of the clutter. I can't wait to see this done all over the downtown neighbourhoods. It's worth the time and money spent.

There are still wires and old poles between Avenue and Russell Hill, though, right?

@Torontovibe--I hope you can wait, because you'll be waiting a long time!

I agree, though--St Clair looks very sharp on the redone portions. I am hoping this will be a scales-from-the-eyes moment when at least some Torontonians realize that no, it's not normal to have ghastly, rotting wooden poles teetering over main streets and yes, it is possible to do things better.

Work taking place for phase II as of May 11

If you count the number of blocks, you will get the number of weeks to do the sidewalks as well the road and platforms. You have to count both sides of the street.

Everyone is saying this will be completed by fall.

Back