Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

So, when are they going to fix the delay on the T1s then? Should they bother with the H6s?

The average delay - insofar as it can be called a delay - is no worse than the delay in opening the T1 doors with some crews. It involves attentiveness, and if the crew isn't at attention there will be a short pause before the doors open. Regardless of the equipment used.

For the record I have taken two TRs in the past two days, and the longest delay in opening the doors at any station was about a second and a half.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Before Webster was shown the door, he and staff were not happy with the delays and wanted the zero time like the current fleet. He said it would have an impact on the whole operation fleet.

If you add all the extra runtime delays, the runs become longer and has an impact on scheduling/spacing. Even with only a few of the new TR on the line, the current fleet starts to backup and held at stations longer.

Over the last 5 years after starting to look closely at operation, ran into a hand full cases where there was a delay in opening the doors. Some were a few seconds, but a few over a minute where the guard was changing from side to side.

Any TR I have been on, 3 seconds is the fastest to the point 5411 is down to 3 from 6.

With the crews now operating on the end car of the current fleet, have watch them and seen no delays at all by them. Hard to watch them on the TR.

I agree that this is a very important issue. One of the many strengths of the TTC's subway system is its high speed relative to its stop spacing, compared with peer systems. I can imagine that this door delay is diminishing some of that advantage.

Since the point seems to have gone over everyone's head, I'm going to lay it out once and for all for everyone.

There is no magical "door opening delay" with the TRs.

As I wrote before, it has to do with the onboard crews manning the equipment. If they are attentive and familiar with the equipment - which more will be as more and more TRs enter service - they will operate more and more like the older cars. The more trains come online, the more crews will be using them on a daily basis - and thus any perceived "delays" will go away.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I'm surprised how much talk is being made of this "delay", when I rarely hear a mention of how long the rear doors on the buses take to close after someone walks out of them, and the front doors never opened. Surprised that they don't encourage all the riders to use the front doors at lightly-used stops ... (though I've seen a few drivers in a rush trying to get people to do that, which seems to confuse everyone ...)

Since the point seems to have gone over everyone's head, I'm going to lay it out once and for all for everyone.

There is no magical "door opening delay" with the TRs.

As I wrote before, it has to do with the onboard crews manning the equipment. If they are attentive and familiar with the equipment - which more will be as more and more TRs enter service - they will operate more and more like the older cars. The more trains come online, the more crews will be using them on a daily basis - and thus any perceived "delays" will go away.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I really find that hard to believe is the case. How many runs does a TTC conductor run on a shift? I doubt that it would take more than what 25-30 stops before one gets the hang of the newer door opening mechanism. This makes me believe it's a computer firmware issue, or something of the sort, or, maybe it's just not possible to open the doors any quicker.

From TYSSE website:

Moley has just completed the milestone of crossing under Toro Road at Keele Street and is expected to break through the headwall at the Keele Street extraction shaft in late Spring. Holey has completed 80% of the first drive!
Moley-Tunnel-Apr2012.jpg

Well, Holey has crossed Toro Rd a month ago, so it must be very close to Keele-Finch station; good progress! Holey and Moley then will be re-positioned to head south form Downsview Park station to Downsview. So, some time next year the entire tunnelling between Downsview and Steeles will be completed.

According to Metrolinx's April 25th update comes this little item:

Build underground access connections to Toronto-York-Spadina Subway extension (TYSSE) immediately
for the Finch West LRT.

This means the bus bays at Finch West will initially have room for the Finch West buses, they will become surplus after 2019, the in-service date of the Finch West LRT. The Subway service on the Spadina extension is expected to begin in late 2015. So the bays will be used for only 4 years.

According to Metrolinx's April 25th update comes this little item:

for the Finch West LRT.

This means the bus bays at Finch West will initially have room for the Finch West buses, they will become surplus after 2019, the in-service date of the Finch West LRT. The Subway service on the Spadina extension is expected to begin in late 2015. So the bays will be used for only 4 years.

It is probably unlikely, but I was thinking that Finch buses might be able to use the LRT platforms, if anything it would save them a few minutes going up Keele street to reach the bus terminal. They would have to install the tracks in the portals and at the platforms and embed them in concrete, but it could work. Unless bus exhaust would be a problem.

It is probably unlikely, but I was thinking that Finch buses might be able to use the LRT platforms, if anything it would save them a few minutes going up Keele street to reach the bus terminal. They would have to install the tracks in the portals and at the platforms and embed them in concrete, but it could work. Unless bus exhaust would be a problem.

Unless changed, a centre LRT platform would be used with the left doors of a LRV trainset (doors on both sides of a LRV). To use the right doors of a bus (doors on one side of a bus), the bus would have to crossover to use such a platform. Still it would be possible.

Unless changed, a centre LRT platform would be used with the left doors of a LRV trainset (doors on both sides of a LRV). To use the right doors of a bus (doors on one side of a bus), the bus would have to crossover to use such a platform. Still it would be possible.

The design does show side platforms in the display boards for the most recent Finch West LRT open house.

I understand why they do side platforms: by placing a side platform on the far side of the intersection, you preserve a left-turn lane in the other direction.

This is a valid excuse for an inner city ROW like Spadina or St. Clair, but on a suburban arterial like Sheppard or Finch, there is usually a generous grassy median between the road and the sidewalk that they could cut into and build the same intersection but with a central, island platform.

There are a lot of benefits of an island platform over two side platforms: you only have to clean, light and maintain one platform instead of two. Centre platforms also tend to be wider, which gives the psychological appearance of a more substantial station (as in, proper LRT, not glorified streetcar) to its users. It's also more conducive to people with wheelchairs or bikes. It's also easier for fare checkers or people who patrol the system to travel back-and-forth on the line.

Most of the Transit City-ish LRTs that run primarily in the median of an arterial road: Phoenix, Seattle, Portland, etc. have centre platforms. I'm not sure why the TTC is sticking to this model of side platforms, but like all things TTC, it's usually due to the fact that that's the way we've always done it, and to hell with innovation, new ideas, or best practices from other cities.

Hurdman Station in Ottawa has this configuration, where the eastbound buses switch to the north side of the station, and the westbound buses to the south side. It requires a crossover at either end of the station, but it seems to work pretty well. For practicality, I would assume that the 'crossover point' would be outside, and not inside the tunnel or station.

Back