Toronto SIX50 King West | ?m | 16s | Freed | Core Architects

They have started to dig.

Most of the piles are in place for 500 Wellington and digging should start in the next 10 day..

Probably not the right place for this but a general comment about the area.

This stretch of King is very beautiful to say the least - the built form is great and the older buildings are extremely well maintained.

But! Having a walk from Spadina -> Dufferin - I noticed there's quite a bit of retail for lease at the present time (lots of vacancies). Also, while there's quite a few restaurants and a few other unique storefronts there's not much in the way of amenities / shopping, what not.

Any idea why there are so many vacancies given all the new pending construction? Do you think a lot of these will be filled once more of these buildings come online.

update

I dont think the above person is referring to 650 King West.

With respect to 650 KIng West, I have heard from a very reliable source that as of the last week, it obtained financing to begin construction. Construction is supposed to start within a couple of weeks. As of Sunday November 29th, there is a CAT digger on site, and the water is being drained is being drained today. I spoke with a construction person on site today and he said that they will start drilling (which comes prior to excavation) within the next week or so, and that the excavation will begin after that.

I dont think the above person is referring to 650 King West.

With respect to 650 KIng West, I have heard from a very reliable source that as of the last week, it obtained financing to begin construction. Construction is supposed to start within a couple of weeks. As of Sunday November 29th, there is a CAT digger on site, and the water is being drained is being drained today. I spoke with a construction person on site today and he said that they will start drilling (which comes prior to excavation) within the next week or so, and that the excavation will begin after that.

Thanks for the update Iggy. I figured they wouldn't start construction until 550 Wellington was close to completion so its good to see they are finally getting things rolling with 650 King.

Anyone in the area can upload a recent pic. including the CAT ?

Noticed the Travelodge across the street is now closed and being stripped down. Demolition next?

4149601969_0253998e7a_b.jpg

4149604069_e6b1c1e432_b.jpg

4149604991_f0d47d4156_b.jpg

Noticed the Travelodge across the street is now closed and being stripped down. Demolition next?

I'm not sure if the Travelodge has any relevance to this particular project but its good to see things are finally moving nonetheless. Thanks for the pics!

Last edited by a moderator:
With 500 Wellington and 650 King under way, one has to wonder if Freed will soon be launching the project slated to go on the Travelodge site?

Excavating pics Dec 5, 2009

Prepping for shoring?

4160406258_ce532bf122_b.jpg

4159650807_5945222625_b.jpg

4160404224_6bfe18678f_b.jpg

(Blue halo from the fence.)
4159648601_a69f40187b_b.jpg

Back