News   May 03, 2024
 926     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 565     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 275     0 

Toronto shootings

What?

No offence, mate, but you just threw together a pile of tenuously related things and made some grand generalisation out of the soup.

That being said, I get what you're saying. That was just some weirdly poetic way of saying it.
I was waiting for that. It's called 'intuition' and it keeps you alive.

Why do you think dogs pick up on it so readily? Ever have a dog...a smart one? They sense gyros wobbling on their axes from a block away. And usually start barking or growling. They'll pick-up angry drunks long before you do. For good reason.

Trust your sixth sense. Just react accordingly though, use it as an alarm to avoid, not react, as there is the chance of getting it wrong.
This is a very important point. Where do you draw the line of accountability for actions?

Given the opportunity, I'd love to beat him with a baseball bat about the head. Trouble is, I'd have to wait in line to do it.

I'm astounded by the degree of compassion and forgiveness of some after suffering horrific tragedies of loved ones being the victims of such people. I'm now at a loss for further words, but what I'm saying has to be examined.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4348575/toronto-gunman-mental-health-family/

And here's the point already being examined:

https://globalnews.ca/news/4274935/canadian-isis-plot-new-york/

And handgun availability besides, we're back onto the 'what was known as to the danger and when was it first flagged?' line of discourse.

Late Edit: Christie (Crusty) Blatchford has an incredibly sensitive and nuanced take on this, She's had a couple of excellent articles on this last few days:
https://nationalpost.com/opinion/ch...-shooting-its-complicated?video_autoplay=true

And from TorStar:
Danforth shooter ‘was afraid he was going to hurt people’
By WENDY GILLISCrime Reporter
Wed., July 25, 2018

As a student at Victoria Park Collegiate Institute, Faisal Hussain was a “very disturbed” young man who spoke “a lot about the pain he was in and the voices that he heard,” says the former head of special education at the high school.

Enrolled in Focus on Success, a separate program for at-risk students, the skinny teen frequently voiced a fear he might hurt someone, and once repeatedly cut into his face with a pencil sharpener blade, prompting a call to police, says educator Jenessa Dworet.

“He was really scared of himself,” said Dworet. “He was afraid he was going to hurt people. He was very obsessed with guns.”

Hussain, 29, walked down a stretch of Danforth Ave. just after 10 p.m. Sunday night and opened fire, killing 10-year-old Julianna Kozis, 18-year-old Reese Fallon and injuring more than a dozen others. He died of a fatal gunshot wound after exchanging gunfire with two officers; authorities have not revealed the circumstances of his death, but police sources have said he shot himself.

Dworet, who lives off the Danforth, heard the killer’s name but didn’t realize it was her former student until she saw Hussain’s photograph. She recognized the face of a young man who, nearly a decade ago, she would take on walks around the school neighbourhood in an effort to calm him down.

“It was chilling, because part of me was thinking: ‘What if he had done something like this while I worked with him?’ And part of me was thinking: ‘How could he have gone nine years without getting more support?’

“And that just breaks my heart, because I know he could have been a better person if he had had more support, or he at least could have been less of a threat to society,” she said.
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...r-was-afraid-he-was-going-to-hurt-people.html

Last edited:
Sick individual without a firearms license, purchases illegal firearm that was smuggled in from another country, uses it to commit murder, a crime which is quite illegal. Solution from politicians (as usual): ban legal guns. This makes as much sense as arresting sober people to stop drunk driving or banning minivans because tires sometimes fall off big rigs. It'd be nice to see politicians, the media and the public not go for the easy, feel good solutions that have been proven time and time again to do have no effect.

I'm a legal gun owner. I'm a Canadian citizen. Just like you. I love my family, I work hard, I pay my taxes and do charitable things. Just like you. I own a business. I help people pay their mortgages and put their kids through school. Generally I'm a pretty decent human. Just like you. I'm sickened and sad when people undertake violent actions, whatever the weapon or motivation. Just like you.

I also hunt, I shoot competively and I collect firearms. I know hundreds of people who do the same. There are 100,000 or so legal gun owners in Toronto. 2+ million legal gun owners in Canada. If gun owners were the problem that the media and politicans make them out to be, there'd be no one left alive in Canada.

I'm tired of the diversion of time and money that takes us away from real solutions and just plain making the world a better place, everytime someone does something stupid with a firearm. I'm tired of decades of being discriminated against. Sick of the un educated on laws, facts and statistics, and those with a political motive, or trying to sell news papers calling me names, promoting hatred towards myself and my friends and trying to destroy the hobby that I love and that millions of your fellow Canadians enjoy safely ever day. Please: be rational, be educated on the topic, the statistics and our current laws before you make your mind up to fear or hate your fellow citizens.

The issue is criminals and violence. Not generally your neighors, your friends, your family. Every day you walk by people who shoot and are generally decent people. You just don't know it. And why would you? They're just like you.

There are a lot of questions here and none of them have anything to do with legal gun owners owning guns. Should not even be a question. This is the same as asking if other Canadians should be able to drive because some idiot without a license steals a car and kills a bunch of people with it, it really is that absurd of a question.

Sick individual without a firearms license, purchases illegal firearm that was smuggled in from another country, uses it to commit murder, a crime which is quite illegal. Solution from politicians (as usual): ban legal guns. This makes as much sense as arresting sober people to stop drunk driving or banning minivans because tires sometimes fall off big rigs. It'd be nice to see politicians, the media and the public not go for the easy, feel good solutions that have been proven time and time again to do have no effect.

I'm a legal gun owner. I'm a Canadian citizen. Just like you. I love my family, I work hard, I pay my taxes and do charitable things. Just like you. I own a business. I help people pay their mortgages and put their kids through school. Generally I'm a pretty decent human. Just like you. I'm sickened and sad when people undertake violent actions, whatever the weapon or motivation. Just like you.

I also hunt, I shoot competively and I collect firearms. I know hundreds of people who do the same. There are 100,000 or so legal gun owners in Toronto. 2+ million legal gun owners in Canada. If gun owners were the problem that the media and politicans make them out to be, there'd be no one left alive in Canada.

I'm tired of the diversion of time and money that takes us away from real solutions and just plain making the world a better place, everytime someone does something stupid with a firearm. I'm tired of decades of being discriminated against. Sick of the un educated on laws, facts and statistics, and those with a political motive, or trying to sell news papers calling me names, promoting hatred towards myself and my friends and trying to destroy the hobby that I love and that millions of your fellow Canadians enjoy safely ever day. Please: be rational, be educated on the topic, the statistics and our current laws before you make your mind up to fear or hate your fellow citizens.

The issue is criminals and violence. Not generally your neighors, your friends, your family. Every day you walk by people who shoot and are generally decent people. You just don't know it. And why would you? They're just like you.

Don't give me that crap about having a family and being discriminated against when you are loading everyone up with that fake news BS just because you don't agree with it. It cheapens *real* discrimination, *real* trials of life.

AoD

Don't give me that crap about having a family and being discriminated against when you are loading everyone up with that fake news BS just because you don't agree with it. It cheapens *real* discrimination, *real* trials of life.

AoD
Cut him some slack. He makes an excellent point...He's sick and tired of being discriminated against, called names, his friends called names, hatred shown to him and associates...and he has guns. What could possibly go wrong?

Cut him some slack. He makes an excellent point...He's sick and tired of being discriminated against, called names, his friends called names, hatred shown to him and associates...and he has guns. What could possibly go wrong?

I am not going to assume and suggest the potential, much less the act of criminality right off the bat, that's patently unfair. What I will question is someone playing the victim and discrimination card just because their interest is the target of prohibition.

AoD

Last edited:
Although it's not possible to be precise about figures, the trend is toward domestic sources. TorStar has a good article up now:

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...legal-in-canada-under-certain-conditions.html

This debases the claim of some that it's all imported, and nothing to do with domestic gun owners.

But those findings don't offer gross numbers. It's just a rough percentage, based off 40 cases of domestic gun dealers selling illegally. While it does point to a trend that we're seeing more Canadian-sourced firearms hitting the street, we still don't really know how many guns there are on the streets to begin with (or at least relative over the past decades). In other words the volume coming by way of US could still be increasing even with the domestic dealing. Hopefully Cornwall isn't overlooked. Also wonder if 3D printed guns have made any impact.

The per capita gun ownership (or at least gun afficianado) is certainly higher in TO than many realize. Guns can be kinda neat. Obviously some owners are right-wing zealots, but agreed the vast majority are likely just regular ppl. And gun popularity will likely never decrease in our lifetime. It's being ingrained in children. Look at Fortnite's massive popularity. It's designed just for little tykes, has parents embracing it, and it's all guns. Not pseudo guns like phasers or rays. It's the same realistic arsenals like in CounterStrike. Except this time you can dance over other player's bodies so it must be fine for 5yos lol.

But those findings don't offer gross numbers. It's just a rough percentage, based off 40 cases of domestic gun dealers selling illegally.
BC has some harder figures:
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/l.../special-report-illegal-movement-firearms.pdf

Guns can be kinda neat.
Hey, don't get me wrong, I've fired anti-tank ammo, thrown grenades, and RPGs...great fun. And I loved it. But it doesn't mean that I defend anyone's right to have them in a domestic situation. Quite the contrary. (Btw: The most fun:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterling_submachine_gun You can only fire short bursts, it pulls you *across* the target)

How about alligators in your back yard? Great pets. There are some facets to consider, however...and they should be regulated. But unlike people, they don't shoot anyone. Alligators in your backyard should only be regulated if they've actually shot someone...and not only that, it's *people* that shoot *people* and...errr....hmmmm.....

Canada, unlike the US, can't lay claim to a 'Constitutional Right to Bear Arms'. And neither do any of the other nations with a lower gun fatality rate than Canada who've banned handguns (with some caveats, of course).

In the developed world, the US has far more gun fatalities than any other nation. It's the number 1 cause of death for US male youth. And the developed nation second to the US for that stat? Canada.

And yet the majority of Cdns polled want handguns banned.

One of many references online:
69% of Canadians support outright ban on guns in urban areas: poll

And that's the way our democracy works. Unless there is something constitutionally guaranteeing otherwise for a minority, the majority determine if you can have alligators in your backyard. Armed or not.

Some claim they control the backyard chickens now allowed:
Bylaw enforcement - prohibited - restricted animals ... - City of Toronto

Last edited:
There are a lot of questions here and none of them have anything to do with legal gun owners owning guns. Should not even be a question. This is the same as asking if other Canadians should be able to drive because some idiot without a license steals a car and kills a bunch of people with it, it really is that absurd of a question.

Your analogy is mangled. IF we have a larger than usual number of deaths as a result of vehicle collisions, should we take action to reconsider everything from driver licensing to enforcement to road design?

The answer is yes, we should, and we are.

See Vision Zero thread.

While many, myself including would not be completely thrilled w/the proposals, never mind the implementation of same in Vision Zero, the analogy is correct.

There is a clear problem, and we must pursue an answer.

In the case of cars there are multiple issues ranging from driver training, to vehicle safety systems (ie. rear and side view cameras) to enforcement of existing laws, to road design.

Likewise w/firearms one can consider a host of issues.

Measures to ensure a lawful owner in a lawful use situation is sufficiently skilled to hit a target, not someone else.

Measures to ensure that only someone appropriate is deemed a lawful owner. (thorough background checks, marksmanship tests)

Measures to ensure that guns are not stolen or otherwise obtained illegally from a lawful owner. (requirements of safe storage, inventory inspection, and limits on purchase numbers)

Measures to ensure that the device is only fire-able by a lawful owner. (ie. trigger lock, biometric firing requirement)

Measures to limit damage in the event of misuse (magazine size) (limits on firing speed)

These are not different than trucks having speed limiters. (Ontario law)

Special licenses for driving different vehicle types, which require a practical test of your ability to drive said vehicle)

Safety requirements in terms of vehicle design, including VIN numbers, Vehicle registration and other anti-theft measures.

No one expect perfect outcomes.

You impose requirements to ensure better outcomes.

Last edited:

AoD
This reponse feels me all I need to k ow about your progressive view and mentality.

Trail is life. Really lol.

BC has some harder figures:
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/l.../special-report-illegal-movement-firearms.pdf

Hey, don't get me wrong, I've fired anti-tank ammo, thrown grenades, and RPGs...great fun. And I loved it. But it doesn't mean that I defend anyone's right to have them in a domestic situation. Quite the contrary. (Btw: The most fun:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterling_submachine_gun You can only fire short bursts, it pulls you *across* the target)

How about alligators in your back yard? Great pets. There are some facets to consider, however...and they should be regulated. But unlike people, they don't shoot anyone. Alligators in your backyard should only be regulated if they've actually shot someone...and not only that, it's *people* that shoot *people* and...errr....hmmmm.....

Canada, unlike the US, can't lay claim to a 'Constitutional Right to Bear Arms'. And neither do any of the other nations with a lower gun fatality rate than Canada who've banned handguns (with some caveats, of course).

In the developed world, the US has far more gun fatalities than any other nation. It's the number 1 cause of death for US male youth. And the developed nation second to the US for that stat? Canada.

And yet the majority of Cdns polled want handguns banned.

One of many references online:
69% of Canadians support outright ban on guns in urban areas: poll

And that's the way our democracy works. Unless there is something constitutionally guaranteeing otherwise for a minority, the majority determine if you can have alligators in your backyard. Armed or not.

Some claim they control the backyard chickens now allowed:
Bylaw enforcement - prohibited - restricted animals ... - City of Toronto
Again and again you are proving your self to be a rabid anti gun.

Law of the land allows me the freedom to spend 10s of thousand on Guns and I do because it f*ckin makes me happy.

At this point I don’t even shoot that much, I just like to build. I make sure that my kids learn, respect and appreciate firearms and one day I will pass it on to them.

And I donate and will donate, tons to CPC and anyone who pursues what I want wrt to Firearms laws. And when Scheer is PM we will make sure he sticks to his promises.

In conclusion, I quote Taylor Swifts, “haters are going to hate hate hate.”

So... what you and 30% of Canadians apparently want?
It more like 40%.

We want the harassment to stop.
We want the stupid comparisons to stops.

We want the Independent ombudsman for Firearms.
We want Wendy Cackier to get a PAL before she is ever allowed tk open her mouth about Firearms.

We want sensible gun laws. Not superficial feel good laws.

If it wasn’t for Harpers Islamophobia we would be dealing with Turdo right now.

Oh well, election is just around the corner.

Donate to NDP and donate to CPC

Last edited:
This reponse feels me all I need to k ow about your progressive view and mentality.

Trail is life. Really lol.

It is ok, I didn’t label myself as a “progressive”, you did - and the yelling about fake news and the upsized fonts in your posting (which I have removed) have already told me all I wanted to know about your mentality.

AoD

Last edited:
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...eo-of-racial-confrontation-at-waterfront.html

Here are we
It is ok, I didn’t label myself as a “progressive”, you did - and the yelling about fake news and the upsized fonts in your posting (which I have removed) have already told me all I wanted to know about your mentality.

AoD

You did post false information. Exactly the opposite to be precise.

I see you are only removing my posts, so much for being the moderators.

Not sure how you can moderate, if you are so partisan.

Back