News   May 03, 2024
 958     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 589     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 281     0 

Toronto shootings

There are no facts in that article just a quote. No solid facts.

Here is the quote on which the whole news stand:

“About half of all guns used to commit crimes in Toronto were sourced domestically last year, Det. Rob Di Danieli of the Toronto police guns and gangs unit told The Canadian Press this week. “

What is the source of this about half? Shoddy journalism.

Although it's not possible to be precise about figures, the trend is toward domestic sources. TorStar has a good article up now:

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...legal-in-canada-under-certain-conditions.html

This debases the claim of some that it's all imported, and nothing to do with domestic gun owners.

Illegal guns sourced in Canada surge compared to those smuggled from U.S
Police say legal Canadian gun owners are selling their weapons illegally

The number of guns obtained legally in Canada but are then sold to people who use them for criminal purposes has surged dramatically in recent years compared to firearms smuggled from the United States, Toronto police say.

In recent years, they say, investigators have noticed a stark shift in where guns used to commit crimes are coming from.

Before 2012, about 75 per cent of the firearms were trafficked from the United States. By 2017, however, about half originated from domestic sources, putting an end to the idea that most of Canada's illegal guns come from across the border, Det. Rob Di Danieli of the guns and gangs unit said.

The number of guns obtained legally in Canada but are then sold to people who use them for criminal purposes has surged dramatically in recent years compared to firearms smuggled from the United States, Toronto police say.

In recent years, they say, investigators have noticed a stark shift in where guns used to commit crimes are coming from.

Before 2012, about 75 per cent of the firearms were trafficked from the United States. By 2017, however, about half originated from domestic sources, putting an end to the idea that most of Canada's illegal guns come from across the border, Det. Rob Di Danieli of the guns and gangs unit said.
[...]
Jooyoung Lee, an associate professor at the University of Toronto who specializes in examining gun violence, said findings from recent years show many guns used to commit crimes in Canada have originated within the country. If civilians are able to buy firearms legally, there is always the possibility they will enter an illegal market, Lee said.
[...]

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/guns-domestic-danforth-shooting-toronto-1.4759159

I find it hilarious when supposed progressives talk about fact based decision making, but then claim that this handgun ban will have any impact on shootings in Toronto. Could someone please explain the logic behind it?

Many gangsters using guns bought legally in Canada

From 2016, at this link:

LOWER MAINLAND (NEWS 1130) – With all the shootings happening in Surrey over the past few months, where are these guns coming from?

In the past, many gangsters have used firearms that were smuggled into the country from the States. But it appears that’s now changing.

“Police are finding out that most of the guns being used in the recent violence that we’ve seen in Surrey and other parts of the province are being sourced right here in Canada,” says Kim Bolan with the Vancouver Sun, who has been digging into this issue.

She says criminals are getting their hands on guns that have been legally purchased.

“Sometimes, they’re using straw purchasers — people with the appropriate licencing that go in and buy these guns, only to pass them on or sell them at a much higher price to people in the criminal underworld. The other issue is firearms are being stolen, which has to be a concern to legitimate firearms owners that they could be targeted by break-ins by those who have nefarious purposes.”

Bolan points to one case, in which a 40-year-old woman with a firearms licence bought 19 guns from local stores. “Police allege that on March 11th, she was delivering a bunch of those guns to two men in Surrey who didn’t have firearms licences. One of those men has gang connections.”

She adds there’s no word on whether those guns ended up on the streets, involved in the recent gun violence. The woman and two men in that case are facing charges.

Now that a number of guns are being legally purchased on this side of the border, Bolan says police in Metro Vancouver are going to have to look at new ways to fight gun violence.

“Now that the criminals appear to have changed their strategies… the police are also going to have to change their strategies and investigate people who are perhaps purchasing a large number of firearms in a short period of time, when they’ve never done that previously — and see what’s happening with those guns.”

I find it hilarious when supposed progressives talk about fact based decision making, but then claim that this handgun ban will have any impact on shootings in Toronto. Could someone please explain the logic behind it?

Don’t reason with “progressives”. Just do what they say.

Again no facts. No proof, just a quote taken as a fact.
What happed to critical reasoning. I guess we can ban critical reasoning too along with Guns.

Considering you are posting on here - anonymously at that, I am not sure you have a bettter claim to critical and factual reasoning than a quote by a journalist that for better or worse can be referenced to real individuals.

And oops if true:

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/gun-used-in-danforth-mass-shooting-stolen-in-saskatoon-source-1.4027018

AoD

Last edited:
When Hussain’s Thorncliffe Park Drive apartment was searched this week, sources say, police found ammunition and large capacity magazines.

Investigators are working with officials in the U.S. to determine how the gun used in the shooting spree ended up in Canada, according to sources who spoke to CP24.

Investigators believe the weapon used in the shooting was obtained illegally from a “gang-related” source in the city and that the gunman did not have a licence to possess the gun used in the attack, sources also told CP24.

https://www.cp24.com/news/gun-used-...the-u-s-stolen-in-saskatoon-sources-1.4026971

Yeah but let’s not facts in the way and let this tragedy go to waste. Let’s ban all guns in the city.

Nothing here any of the progressives proposed would have stopped this.

Good jobs guy especially PinkLucy, Steve and AoD

Wrong

When Hussain’s Thorncliffe Park Drive apartment was searched this week, sources say, police found ammunition and large capacity magazines.

Investigators are working with officials in the U.S. to determine how the gun used in the shooting spree ended up in Canada, according to sources who spoke to CP24.

Investigators believe the weapon used in the shooting was obtained illegally from a “gang-related” source in the city and that the gunmandid not have a licence to possess the gun used in the attack, sources also told CP24.

https://www.cp24.com/news/gun-used-...the-u-s-stolen-in-saskatoon-sources-1.4026971

Considering you are posting on here - anonymously at that, I am not sure you have a bettter claim to critical and factual reasoning than a quote by a journalist that for better or worse can be referenced to real individuals.

And oops if true:

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/gun-used-in-danforth-mass-shooting-stolen-in-saskatoon-source-1.4027018

AoD

Last edited by a moderator:
Wrong

Investigators believe the weapon used in the shooting was obtained illegally from a “gang-related” source in the city and that the gunmandid not have a licence to possess the gun used in the attack, sources also told CP24.

Did you read the article about how the gun from the US was stolen in Saskatchewan? Stolen from a Canadian source?

AoD

Last edited:

Investigators believe the weapon used in the shooting was obtained illegally from a “gang-related” source in the city and that the gunman did not have a licence to possess the gun used in the attack, sources also told CP24.

The story has been on the wires since yesterday evening. It's been obvious for some time that his brother was the conduit, willingly or by inheritance. A good number of handguns are still coming in from the US. More are being sourced domestically.

But here's the new information, albeit I haven't had a chance to check the news for a couple of hours:
[...]
According to a former classmate and friend who spoke with CTV News Toronto, Hussain’s behavior was concerning, even in high school.

“He’d walk around with a sketchbook and he would just write things in there. And we took a class together and I just remember in class I would see him writing or sketching and it was always very dark and hard for me to understand,” she said of their time together at Victoria Park Collegiate nine years ago.

A teacher from the same school, who did not want to be named, told CTV News Toronto that he had to call the police after a conversation with Hussain.

According to the teacher, Hussain was asked what he wanted to do with his life. He responded by saying “I want to kill someone.”

“And I was stunned,” the teacher said. “I said, ‘Why? What did they do to you?’ And he said ‘No, I just want to kill somebody.’

The teacher then said Hussain thought killing someone ‘would be cool.’ The teacher reported the conversation to the principal, who in turn called the police.

Hussain was investigated by police under the Mental Health Act. [...]

Now that's where a lot of questions are going to be asked, and brings this most recent string to "sixth sense" in my discussion with mtown a day or so back.

It was obvious just watching those few seconds on the iPhone vid that he was unhinged. A number of dogs I know would have went for him, damn the consequences. His gyro was wobbling almost to the point of snapping the axis (axle).

And I'll repeat what I posted then: (gist) "He could have done vastly more harm with a rented van" (inference being 'Thank God for small mercies').

Now if Chico the Handgun Chappo wants to make hey out of that, be my guest.

So lets see now..."don't bother cleaning up the broken glass on the sidewalk, a whole greenhouse broke downtown".

I must say that El Chappo is making an exquisite case. Just not the one he intends...

Last edited:

Back