Toronto Royal Ontario Museum | ?m | ?s | Daniel Libeskind

Among other things, I want to see…
  • the Bloor doors doubled in height and made 50% wider, with an angled canopy reaching somewhat into the public plaza out front
  • the plaza landscaped with a café built into the area in front of the gift shop (that may be coming in the announcements), and the concrete replaced with stone
  • a major upgrade to the stair of wonders, with more wonders cases, glass doors replacing those terrible crash doors, glass & steel balustrades to open it up when you're in it, and glass and steel at landings at each floor where it overlooks the atrium
  • the textile gallery moved so that it's not on the top floor where there are all those closed windows: move the minerals gallery up there (not light-sensitive), and open those wonderfully jagged windows up!
  • get the early earth gallery finished (finally) as a lead-in to the dinosaur galleries
  • figure out something inspiring for Spirit House space: an artist could fill it with something amazing that makes good use of the acute 3D aspects of its irregular interior (or maybe it's large enough to mount the whale skeleton that was one display at the exhibition earlier this year, once it gets back from the road show it's on now, and then go for underwater lighting and whale song soundscape in there)
  • close off back-of-scenes views where the old building and the crystal meet up (or at least clear those spaces so that we can't see the junk that's currently stored in them)

I want all those things.

• the Bloor doors doubled in height and made 50% wider, with an angled canopy reaching somewhat into the public plaza out front
  • the plaza landscaped with a café built into the area in front of the gift shop (that may be coming in the announcements), and the concrete replaced with stone
  • a major upgrade to the stair of wonders, with more wonders cases, glass doors replacing those terrible crash doors, glass & steel balustrades to open it up when you're in it, and glass and steel at landings at each floor where it overlooks the atrium
  • the textile gallery moved so that it's not on the top floor where there are all those closed windows: move the minerals gallery up there (not light-sensitive), and open those wonderfully jagged windows up!
  • get the early earth gallery finished (finally) as a lead-in to the dinosaur galleries
  • figure out something inspiring for Spirit House space: an artist could fill it with something amazing that makes good use of the acute 3D aspects of its irregular interior (or maybe it's large enough to mount the whale skeleton that was one display at the exhibition earlier this year, once it gets back from the road show it's on now, and then go for underwater lighting and whale song soundscape in there)
  • close off back-of-scenes views where the old building and the crystal meet up (or at least clear those spaces so that we can't see the junk that's currently stored in them)

Haven't been in a while, but have they finished the gallery section between the third(?) floor Early Rome/Egypt/Greece section and the old main stairway? It was awkward when it was either completely empty or a temporary exhibit went in (meaning lots of partitions).

I have no problem with an austere interior, but cheap materials definitely did it in (think the quality of the space if they had used black granite and white neoparies instead of tile and drywall). I hope they can resist the urge to stray too much from that vocabulary for the Libeskind addition.

AoD

Totally agree. I'm one of the few who like the Michael Lee Chin Crystal and even the spaces within it but the cheap materials ruined it. Luckily, those can be remedied with refinishing galleries one by one over time.

- White ceramic or back painted glass walls in the galleries to replace the cheap drywall.
- Replace the mismatched exterior metal panels with white frosted glass panels. Install lighting under the skin so that the Crystal can glow at night in any colour.
- Finish the circuit. The Crystal has good circulation but it's suddenly ended where it meets the old wings. They were supposed to continue to a path to a south Crystal.
- The Stair of Wonders needs to be completely done. Everything from the anemic displays, to the cheap finishings, to the fire escape doors, to the lighting should all be redone. Get it dark in there. Add lights to carpeted stairs to eliminate the echo and make it comfortable. Build grand displays on each landing with meaningful artifacts. Replace the blast doors with fireproof glass doors. Play a voiced narration over music, informing visitors of what's on display in the museum and on which floor.
- The Spirit House is also tragically underused. I like @interchange42's idea of displaying the whale with underwater atmosphere through lighting and sound.
- Open up the Spirit House doors to the Gift Shop to provide more foot traffic through this space. I'd rather the gift shop be replaced with a café but I understand that gifts generate a significant revenue for museums. Maybe the gift shop could go where the coat check is today. That space is wasted given how few people check coats, even less so in the warm months. A café fronting Bloor would make the square out front far better used and active.

I like the idea of cutting out a much larger entrance. A ceiling high window would open up the view into the lobby from the street. Build it in the same style as the other windows. A black framed window with a set of black framed doors within it.

I don't see the need for a canopy though. Why are people waiting outside at all? The atrium is so large. Certainly, they could have a waiting area for a group. The Spirit House could be it or open up the ground floor as a non paid area as has been mentioned. Groups could wait anywhere in the atrium.

Last edited:
A ceiling high window would open up the view into the lobby from the street. Build it in the same style as the other windows. A black framed window with a set of black framed doors within it.

^^^^^^^^ This

In addition there are some functionality issues to be addressed in that lobby space. Perhaps the reopened Avenue entrance will assist, but there is definite over-crowding, and poor flow

With ROM hitting record attendance, I'd be interested to know whether the building, as configured is nearing capacity, based on current hours.

I spoke earlier in this or another thread about longer hours, as one option, not merely as a convenience, but as way to distribute traffic loan more evenly.

Building alterations may also be required.

Looking at museum traffic levels for North America, its not unreasonable to hope/expect attendance growth to the 1.6M annual range in the near future.

But that would be a 20% plus increase from today's levels.

Could that be sustained?

Haven't been in a while, but have they finished the gallery section between the third(?) floor Early Rome/Egypt/Greece section and the old main stairway? It was awkward when it was either completely empty or a temporary exhibit went in (meaning lots of partitions).
Some of it—about a third—has been given over to Byzantium, but the rest is still used for temporary exhibitions. I'd rather see temporary exhibits in dead end sections which you can just pass by if they're not currently on.

I don't see the need for a canopy though. Why are people waiting outside at all? The atrium is so large. Certainly, they could have a waiting area for a group. The Spirit House could be it or open up the ground floor as a non paid area as has been mentioned. Groups could wait anywhere in the atrium.
I'd like a canopy for two reasons: they help signal important entrances from a distance, so they draw people, and there are times when I have been to the ROM and it's still lined up out the door and raining… so, for those days.

Clad the entire interior with ultra-highly polished and exactly flat stainless steel, and light it up properly. Forget the Spirit House, call it the Geode.

AoD

Some of it—about a third—has been given over to Byzantium, but the rest is still used for temporary exhibitions. I'd rather see temporary exhibits in dead end sections which you can just pass by if they're not currently on.

That's definitely a problem with the space- I would almost prefer if they moved the Greek exhibits there (that area needs an update anyways), rather than having something so incredibly disruptive to the flow and experience of the space.

Well, thank goodness for this. I remember as a kid on school trips in the 1970s being in awe of that grand entrance.
Historic ROM Entrance Reopens to the Public
3vCC_ROMwestonentrance1212_Super_Portrait.jpg
Now if they can only chisel off that monstrosity on Bloor st. and give it a grand entrance that adds to the Edwardian architecture instead of intentionally contrasting with it.

Spirit House is already home to a permanent sound art installation by Canadian composer John Oswald that, for reasons I do not know, AFAIK they have not turned on in years.

"The space’s permanent sound installation is A Time to Hear for Here by multifaceted artist John Oswald. This unique auditory experience incorporates both random sounds, which may only happen once in a blue moon, such as a loon and a whale singing a duet, or a Chinese folk melody accompanied by a CN train whistle, and sounds that occur at a particular hour, such as a the first four notes of the Canadian national anthem timed to the noon horn in Vancouver, British Columbia."

edit to add: more info here [pdf].

Last edited:
I'm here in Seoul, and IMO this is how we should have added glass to the ROM. Put it on top, enhancing the look of the original facade, not smashing out the front.
IMG_20180202_1515465.jpg
IMG_20180202_1515506.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180202_1515465.jpg
    IMG_20180202_1515465.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 532
  • IMG_20180202_1515506.jpg
    IMG_20180202_1515506.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 541
Last edited by a moderator:
If I'm remembering this correctly, the original renderings for the spirit house showed it to have deep- red coloured walls, and the bridges were almost completely made of structural glass. A good coat of paint would do the trick for the first part. The second would require some serious rethinking.
Come to think of it, a rethinking of backgrounds to the exhibitions is overdue. A good coat of paint would greatly help a lot of the interior making it easier on the eye than the hard white there now. Glad to hear this reno is taking lighting into consideration.

I'm here in Seoul, and IMO this is how we should have added glass to the ROM. Put it on top, enhancing the look of the original facade, not smashing out the front.

Neat looking building- is it a museum? I'm pretty much through lamenting what should have been done at the ROM though. It's external appearance has grown on me- lets just push and hope for improvements to the interior. The new entrance looks awesome.

Back