Toronto Ripley's Aquarium of Canada | 13.11m | 2s | Ripley Entertainment | B+H

Off topic, but that overwrought, carnivalesque, Calatrava ego-trip has no place here. Some of his poorest, loudest, lamest work to date.

It might not suit your tastes but I'm sure you'd find thousands of people in this city who would say otherwise.

I do like the idea of having some sort of entrance to the CN Tower under some water. Something perhaps like the entrace to the National Centre for the Performing Arts in Beijing.

Wasn't there a rumour a few months back posted on this site that said aA was working on this project?
I know BMO broke this project back in july (#32) but I can't find where ... ah wait here it is:
I just came across a few documents today (dated April 2007) which detail the possiblity of a Toronto Aquarium. The developer is Oceanis Australia Property Group who are developing similar facilities in cities around the world (Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Hong Kong, etc.).

At this point, all I have is some basic renderings and a site plan but from that it looks like architectsAlliance will be handling this one. It is a three level space with a huge glass facade facing south.
from ProjectEnd (post#1)

Proposed aquarium design for the OCAD phase 2 site.... obviously no need to advertise.

The washrooms will be a highlight of every visit (designed by me and PE to entertain school children everywhere).

aquarium1.jpg

Last edited:
Holy, I didn't expect the reports to come so soon - thanks a ton DSC, it's like having Christmas a few days early.

As to the merits of the design - I find it a bit ho-hum at this stage, like something trying really, really hard to look exciting but not quite cutting it. It's a B+H project btw, not aA.

AoD

As someone that has never been to an aquarium, is the allotted space in that report a good size for one?

The stated area is 13,912 square metres. The current largest public aquarium in Canada is the Vancouver Aquarium Marine Science Centre (considered by many to be one of the top five aquaria in the world) at 9,000 square metres. In the USA, the largest public aquarium is the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago, at 39,000 square metres.

So this would be about one-third the size of the Shedd, but still the largest in Canada by a good margin.

Last edited:
Toronto is BOOOOMING! The design is meh, but the proposal is great! The Skydome, CN Tower and an aquarium would be quite the amazing cluster of attractions. Not to mention the plethora of brand new high-rises in the neighborhood.

Here are some screen shots from the report:

ScreenShot002-1.jpg

ScreenShot003-1.jpg

ScreenShot004-1.jpg

The aquarium would consist of Phase-1 plus Phase-2 on this plan.

Last edited:
Wow! That was quick. Personally I love the design, and the retail on the west side. The only thing I would change is the roof of the aquarium. Make it a little bit more exciting looking.
I look forward to some coloured renders.

The stated area is 13,912 square metres. The current largest public aquarium in Canada is the Vancouver Aquarium Marine Science Centre (considered by many to be one of the top five aquaria in the world) at 9,000 square metres. In the USA, the largest public aquarium is the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago, at 39,000 square metres.

So this would be about one-third the size of the Shedd, but still the largest in Canada by a good margin.

From what I've read, the Georgia Aquarium is the largest in the world, at over 550,000 sf. The Shedd Aquarium is 422,000 sf. (not sure how much in meters, as American sites list only in square feet)

Is that the official design and name of the aquarium or is that just to give an idea or what is to come?

I preferred the reorientation of the plaza like this:

xy_7CA893B6-384E-4EE4-9944-164DE051EE5B__.jpg

It gave it more of an open public square feel where people can congregate and contemplate the tower.

This design takes away from the existing plaza space without addressing the new pedestrian environment created by the addition of these buildings. Also, the aquarium partially blocks the view of the base of the tower when viewed from the Roundhouse.

Reorienting the plaza so it faces the CN Tower head on, in line with one of its "fingers" was the correct approach and the proposed design misses that point.

I also don't like how it completely turns its back on the Metro Convention Centre. In fact, according to the city documents, there will be a service alley on the Convention Centre side.

This just seems like a meagre attempt at looking unique. Maybe it's the Ripley's name but this to me appears to be a cheap Niagara Falls type attraction rather than a serious oceanographic institution. If we're to build an aquarium, I hope it includes a serious curatorial, research and academic component.

Fortunately, the City has issues with how the new structures provide zero parking for visitors and no parking for school buses. Back to the drawing board please!

Last edited:

Back