Toronto Residences at The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto | 207.86m | 53s | Graywood | Kohn Pedersen Fox

I try to get some shots Friday night, but too many people and cars in the way. Going to wait till Tiff is over to get the shots I want.

The signs add a touch to this building some what, but not much.

Random thing. But today, i happened to be in a convenience store and saw a postcard of toronto... OMG! The photo was fairly new! It showed the Ritz, RBC, MLS, etc... and all the madness!!! funny that they were selling it alongside an older postcard from basically the same aerial vantage point.... which one to buy?!... hmmmm....

Random thing. But today, i happened to be in a convenience store and saw a postcard of toronto... OMG! The photo was fairly new! It showed the Ritz, RBC, MLS, etc... and all the madness!!! funny that they were selling it alongside an older postcard from basically the same aerial vantage point.... which one to buy?!... hmmmm....

Hmm, buy the older one steveve...cause in a couple years the new one will be out dated and the older one will be a collectors item. lol:D

Even though the decision has been reversed it is a terrible mark that this hotel even considered banning the wearing of poppies for Remembrance Day. Shameful!!!

Q&A: The Ritz-Carlton Toronto backtracks on poppy ban for employees

The Ritz-Carlton Toronto forbid employees this week from wearing poppies, then reversed the ban after staff spoke out against the policy, which was described in a memo leaked to the National Post on Wednesday morning. In his Tuesday memo to hotel staff, general manager Tim Terceira said the “use of visual symbols to support causes … does not conform to our Corporate Standards for Professional Appearance.” Mr. Terceira spoke with the National Post’s Kathryn Blaze Carlson about the leaked memo and his policy reversal. Here is an edited transcript of the interview:

Q: What was the reasoning behind the memo?
A: Our uniform policy is based on our effort not to discriminate against anyone, and the best way to do that was not to provide any exceptions when it comes to adding pins, labels, badges, ribbons or anything else. We didn’t want to allow one and then say ‘no’ to another. What we wear in the workplace represents our brand, and you could technically end up with employees wearing multiple ribbons or pins, which would not be appealing.

Q: When and why did the issue arise?
A: The question came up last week. Someone wanted to wear a poppy or may have come in wearing a poppy, and someone else wanted to grow a moustache during working hours [for Movember, the November fundraising drive for prostate cancer research]. Both myself and the guidance team said, ‘OK, this is our first year of operation. This has not come up before.’

Q: The memo says wearing a poppy amounts to supporting a cause. How is wearing a poppy indicative of a cause?
A: I had one employee write me a note yesterday, after I sent [the initial memo]. Their perspective was that the poppy is not a cause — that the poppy symbolizes remembrance, and it’s not the latest ribbon or colour to wear. I used the word ‘cause’ to explain the policy, and perhaps that’s the wrong word to use.

Q: What led you to reverse your position and allow employees to wear poppies?
A: What I’ve done is reflect on the employee’s letter. I also did some more research…. In the U.K., FIFA — the world soccer body — is not permitting British players to wear poppies on their uniform. In China, when the British delegation were to meet with the Chinese, they were wearing their poppies. The Chinese asked them to remove their poppies because back in the 19th century there were two wars with Britain over [opium]. What is good for some, offends others. What I have done though, is check with other hotels. I have found that the wearing of the poppy is the only exception they have made to their uniforms.

Q: Did your decision have anything to do with the Nov. 8 memo being leaked to the National Post on Wednesday?
A: This had nothing to do with [the National Post’s] call. I also spoke to a gentleman this morning who said he learned about it…. He said he felt so strongly that he would [go to the media]. I had made this decision before he even called me.

Q: Are employees allowed to sport moustaches, for example in support of prostate cancer research?
A: People can wear a moustache at work, but they just can’t grow it while they’re at work. There’s a policy on how it looks.

Q: Do you regret sending the initial memo?
A: No. I don’t regret it. [The initial memo] was based on a logical process. The premise for the decision was to not discriminate [against] any symbolism or cause. There’s nothing, in my opinion, that’s wrong with that. In fact, it’s quite honourable.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/1...cks-on-poppy-ban-for-employees/#disqus_thread

The company I work for had its holiday party at the Ritz Carlton this past week. It was my first time inside the hotel. I have to say I was a bit disappointed. While tasteful and pleasant-looking, it didn't shout (or whisper) 5-star hotel. It felt more like a 4-star hotel, and could have easily been a Marriott. Service was good, and the food was better than what we used to get from the Royal York--particularly the hors d'oeuvres (delicious and plentiful). I looked around the lobby a bit (the restaurants and bars seemed to be doing good business), but it wasn't clear to me if there was a separate lobby area for residents (presumably there are separate elevators). Isn't that normally the case for hotel/condo developments: a separate entrance for residents?

Edit to add: a few photos I took of the Ritz

Last edited:
Even though the decision has been reversed it is a terrible mark that this hotel even considered banning the wearing of poppies for Remembrance Day. Shameful!!!
I'm usually the last to defend a clumsy, unsympathetic corporation, but I wouldn't go so far as to drop "shame" bombs on Ritz. They explained the logic behind their decision and why they reversed it. If anything, this process was commendable.

The company I work for had its holiday party at the Ritz Carlton this past week. It was my first time inside the hotel. I have to say I was a bit disappointed. While tasteful and pleasant-looking, it didn't shout (or whisper) 5-star hotel. It felt more like a 4-star hotel, and could have easily been a Marriott. Service was good, and the food was better than what we used to get from the Royal York--particularly the hors d'oeuvres (delicious and plentiful).
This is pretty much what the reviews on TripAdvisor are saying.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...ews-Ritz_Carlton_Toronto-Toronto_Ontario.html

Lots of visitor photos of the rooms and views on that page, if anyone's interested...

Last edited:
Holiday lighting.

6394956545_3552d12d15_b.jpg

I'm usually the last to defend a clumsy, unsympathetic corporation, but I wouldn't go so far as to drop "shame" bombs on Ritz. They explained the logic behind their decision and why they reversed it. If anything, this process was commendable.

Banning poppies was one of the most despicable examples of corporate think that I have seen in some time!!!! This is CANADA wearing poppy shouldn't even be an an issue in the first place!!! What the idiotic management don't seem to understand is that wearing a poppy does not support a "cause". Wearing a poppy acknowledges those who gave their lives to protect our country.

Ritz facebook page has more pics if their "Holiday decorations" and "Holiday tree" in hotel lobby.

Banning poppies was one of the most despicable examples of corporate think that I have seen in some time!!!! This is CANADA wearing poppy shouldn't even be an an issue in the first place!!! What the idiotic management don't seem to understand is that wearing a poppy does not support a "cause". Wearing a poppy acknowledges those who gave their lives to protect our country.

Ritz facebook page has more pics if their "Holiday decorations" and "Holiday tree" in hotel lobby.

Agreed. Grey calling their decision, "commendable" is hilarious.

Toronto Star: Ritz-Carlton five-star condos proving a tough sell

Some 29 of The Ritz’s 161 granite-and-glass clad condos have been for sale for months now on MLS. And that’s not counting 12 units the developer is still marketing in the 52-storey project, the first of four five-star hotel-condo developments to hit the Toronto market.

That, combined with the sizable number of Trump International condos investors have been trying to unload in the underground “assignment” market, is boosting buzz about how fierce the competition could get when Trump officially opens its doors Jan. 31, followed by the Shangri-La and Four Seasons residences later this year.

That doesn't surprise me. Neither Ritz nor Trump have the best location. The Four Seasons should have no problems selling on the other hand.

“Some people invested believing they would make great profits and now they’re trying to realize that,†which explains why there are so many units now listed on MLS, says Lawlor.

One investor, she noted, paid less than $2 million for their 2,400 square-foot two-bedroom condo and is now asking almost $3 million. It’s still for sale.[/URL]

Unbelievable!:rolleyes: Going by the horribly staged unit pics on MLS, these investors may want to rethink their price if they want to unload their units before Four Seasons and Shangri-la open!

I think the Ritz maybe the only high-end building in the city that doesn't have opening windows.

Agreed. Grey calling their decision, "commendable" is hilarious.

commendable +1 !

what if the situation was reversed? that the corp was insisting that I as an employee had to wear a poppy but I didnt believe in wearing one? Would I have the option to exercise my own personal choice?

found this image on the Trip Advisor page... not the greatest quality, but I really think this view out over the Metro Hall grounds and RTH is becoming one of my favourites.

day-view-room.jpg

Back