Toronto Queen & Portland Loft & Condominium Residences | ?m | 9s | Tribute | Turner Fleischer

I think quite simply is that bases don't sell condos in Toronto.

The bases themselves are retail condominiums and typically sell for a much lower pricepoint than the equivilant New York. However, this is pretty typical of the stuff being constructed in our shopping districts like Bloor/Yorkivvle and Queen West so I'm not sure what you guys are bemoaning about now.

The property that is now a fairly undistinguished parking lot will become a four-storey building combining condominiums and shopping, apparently including an "urban Home Depot" outlet.

Thank goodness we're not losing one of our distinguished parking lots.

Minto Midtown should turn out to be another really good example of a strong retail podium under a condo.

There are other: 18 Yorkville is okay (widened sidewalk is a nice touch); Minto Yorkville is decent; for a desolate location the Pinnacle Centre project at Yonge and Lakeshore has done a decent job with the retail base, wide sidewalks with quality paving and planters; the Hudson has a fairly strong retail unit at the corner of Spadina and King; and the Matrix at Front and Blue Jays way has a nice little Rabba; the historical facades of the Concert Rental project 'Jazz' on Church look fantastic (haven't been by recently to see what type of retail has occupied the units)... maybe these aren't shining examples, but there have been some fairly well done retail components in new condo buildings on main street avenues.

(haven't been by recently to see what type of retail has occupied the units)

The usual suspects. A Starbucks, Subway, Hasty Mart and a dry cleaner.

The Hazelton has a good base and so does Hudson, which became that takeout deli store. I agree, though, that these should be the rule and not the exception.

As for Home Depot coming in, it could work well. For example, having a gardening centre on the roof would make it almost a rooftop sanctuary. I could be dreaming, though.

I would like if they planned a similar 3-4 storey mixed-use building at the parking lot at Queen/Soho, it would fit in with the streetscape with Queen.

^^I'd rather they develop an L-shaped (terraced? for additional density) lowrise along the (expanded through demolition) western and northern edges and turn the rest over as public space

I cant remember how many times Ive been downtown at three in the morning and said to myself....well goshdarnit I need a compressor/roll of duct tape/air conditioner/ socket wrench

UNNECESSARY RETAIL IS AWESOME!

^^I'd rather they develop an L-shaped (terraced? for additional density) lowrise along the (expanded through demolition) western and northern edges and turn the rest over as public space

Er...demolish those Victorians on Soho?

demolish those Victorians on Soho?

What? The Victorians on the next block? More specifically Lush? and whatever beside it if need be to make a 10 second brainstorm come to fruition

Home Depot Proposal, Site Plan & Leasing Details

2007_06_22QueenPortland.jpg

https://riocan.com/property/fileGet.cfm?property_id=223&file_type=sitePlan

https://riocan.com/property/property.cfm?property_id=223

Looks good to me. Great scale. Appropriate for the Neighbourhood and lets just hope the materials are of good quality.

I think I can live with this. There's certainly nothing wrong with the scale od this development and the overall design that is shown thus far is OK.

Back