Toronto Queen & Portland Loft & Condominium Residences | ?m | 9s | Tribute | Turner Fleischer

Well this building didn't turn out very well . . . but I can't wait until this Loblaw's opens. Anybody have an opening date for this?

I wrote to Loblaws to ask, as this will be my neighbourhood grocery store, and they replied mid-November without a specific date.

I walked past and through a 2nd floor window, I could see written on the far wall in tile "FISH". I guess second floor it is. Looks quite large, but not large enough for a Loblaws.

I'm trying to figure out where Loblaws is going. In the space under construction on the second floor? That makes little sense for a grocery store. People are expected to haul bags of groceries down a long steep escalator?

The Longos in Maple Leaf Square comes to mind, which isn't at grade, and is accessed via escalator. And while I'm thinking of it, a lot of the Loblaw Superstores have the entire grocery area on the second level, making this more in line with their other stores.

Does anyone happen to know if the Loblaws opened this week? I recall someone on here suggesting November 24th.

I went to Winners today and took a peek inside Loblaws. It looks completely finished and all the shelves are stocked with food. It seems that they can open tomorrow if they wanted to.

It does seem to include many similar elements, yes. Including the huge glass cheese fridge.

from today
20111204044.jpg

The Winners sucks here--dark and gloomy with lotsa traditional Toronto clothing--think black, grey, beige blah.

In contrast, the Loblaws is the real winner with great design features, gigantic selection of foods and an amazing pick up joint!

Yesterday walking around with me--stalking me?--was none other than Galen Weston Jr with his wife. I told random staff members to perk up--their boss was in the building and no one recognized him except myself and the managers! Hilarious! The Loblaws employees I told had no idea who the couple were. Duh!

(That is why Saturday PM extra security and cops were hired, the Mexican cleaning staff was in full force, yet the average staff and shoppers were clueless. Overheard Galen say he was happy to see the parking garage entirely full--does he understand that many shoppers here arrive on foot? I told the junior it would be cool if this location's "Deli" department actually had a real Jewish deli.:p)

Last edited:
Dec 03,
As for Winners its a nothing store even after my 2nd trip there.

What I started off doing today in photo shooting change after the 3rd location, that I caught this unplan shooting as well a number of unplan ones.

The store is the right size for the location and reinforce my views that more of this type is needed in the city regardless what chain it is. I like the colors and lighting.

For those haters of 10 Dundas ceilings, better not visited both new Loblaws stores.

As a visitor, I got a free $16 can of cookies.
6457757261_7d0aa3e273_b.jpg

6457756215_5c86c821bf_b.jpg

6457259775_73560e520f_b.jpg

6457264111_851386feb0_b.jpg

6457265757_fc2df409ca_b.jpg

6457267303_4971e7986f_b.jpg

6457268559_62334c2f86_b.jpg

6457273173_14619321ab_b.jpg

The colour scheme is easy on the eyes, but it still looks corporate and sterile, like a Best Buy or Staples, but instead of video games they sell boxes of salad.

This place doesn't feel like a 'market' or appear to have anything inspiring - just the predictable stock supplied through standard channels (with contracts in place that actively exclude local small producers most of the time)

The big Ontario grocery establishment is completely out of touch. I couldn't believe how depressing Toronto grocery stores were when I first arrived. It felt like I'd been transported back into the 70's. Sadly, the only grocery stores that are inspiring in Toronto are also very expensive: Summerhill Market (my favourite, but very pricey), Pusateris, the Cheese Boutique.... All too expensive for every day needs.

But,
Seattle's PCC Natural Food Coop does it: http://www.pccnaturalmarkets.com/
Even Toronto's downtrodden poor neighbour, Buffallo NY, has a grocery store that puts anything in Toronto to shame: http://lexington.coop/

These markets are beautiful spaces, full of life and delicious interesting things - they even smell good! They are smaller than these big stores but they have twice the variety - they just don't stock two acres of ketchup. And - get this - they are affordable, probably cheaper than Joes no-frills. And No Frills is about as uplifting as taking the subway at midnight on a Monday.

Toronto needs a good up-beat NATURAL FOOD CO-OP. Or even a Trader Joe's to fill the void.

But those monstrous lumbering old giants with NO imagination or impulse to do something interesting or inspiring for the community should stay in the suburbs, where they belong.

Last edited:

Back