Toronto Queen & Portland Loft & Condominium Residences | ?m | 9s | Tribute | Turner Fleischer

Some Queen West history can be seen today along the Queen St. frontage of the lot, in the shape of old brick foundations of 19th century buildings which were once here. Excavation is revealing quite a lot of architectural remains. Archeologists are on site, with their brushes and mini-pickaxes.

Does anybody know what used to be there?

Works currently underway, a little bit of digging equipment on site ... they're actively working.

Has anyone heard anything on the fire site??

It will be great to see this project fill in the gap that was the parking lot.

Some of the newer Port Credit developments, Lakeshore and Hwy 10 area would fit in great in the area affected by the fire.

It's all boarded up, that's all I know.

They've done more demolition work on some of the site though - I'm not sure what the status is though.

December 7

From the corner of Richmond and Portland looking north. Shoring beams are being installed.
3096246756_4e480c8fac_b.jpg

Looking west.
3096246766_14bd01b37d_b.jpg

November 16 Archeological dig uncovers an old basement facing Queen St.
3075120153_07191dc2ca_b.jpg

Glad to see this one going ahead. I hope that it is the first of lots (and lots) of similarly scaled infill for the west side. There's plenty of space for intensification, both on and just off Queen, King, and Dundas.

Unfortunately, it's been one step forward and two steps back for this bit of Queen; I was looking forward to Home Depot plugging the last hole between Soho and Bathurst (or farther?) but then along came the fire...

Home Depot pulls out of RioCan's Queen Street project
Article Comments
The Canadian Press
January 22, 2009 at 10:00 AM EST
TORONTO — — Home Depot Canada [HD-N] is paying an unspecified amount in cash to terminate its lease on a site along Queen Street West in Toronto being developed by RioCan Real Estate Investment Trust [REI.UN-T].

RioCan said Thursday it intends to continue with the Queen and Portland development project, which has caused discomfort among artists and others in the trendy district uneasy about a big-box store.

Canada's largest REIT said it is “reviewing the possibility of repositioning the retail portion of the development to reflect a new retail footprint.”

It added that there is no change in plans for the five-storey residential portion of the project, where construction has not yet begun on a one-acre site which now is a parking lot.

Original plans called for 91,000 square feet of retail space on three floors, of which 75,000 square feet was to be occupied by a single retail anchor.

“As a result of this change, we have an opportunity to reposition the retail portion of this project to reflect a more ‘traditional' retail model, and are currently in discussions with several potential replacement tenants,” stated RioCan CEO Edward Sonshine.

“We are optimistic that we will re-lease this part of the retail component and do not expect construction of the project to be delayed.”

RioCan said 55 of the 90 residential condominium units have been sold.

thats too bad to hear .... just when I thought we were going to see the first 'urban format' Home Depot in Toronto :(

I guess the economy is really taking its toll huh?

Well who says it's because of the economy? Maybe it's because they have come to a realization that it would not be in the company's best interest to open up shop here?

I just hope it's replaced with something beneficial to the community!

Interesting about Home Depot. I actually think this development on Queen is quite reasonable in scale and design, and I hope the Depot's withdrawal doesn't endanger the project. I wonder what else might go in there, though?

Back