Toronto Queen & Ashbridge | 60.15m | 17s | Context Development | Teeple Architects

From Instagram

Screenshot_20240124_124322_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20240124_124330_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20240124_124338_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20240124_124346_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20240124_124354_Instagram.jpg

This will be a game changer for the neighbourhood especially with all the new retail along QueenSt. E. There will be pressure for more developments close by with higher density. I'm sure Macdonalds will not be there fr much longer. However I do not know what the lease condition are for Mc.D's or if the company owns this location or the franchise owner.

Maybe? There are several projects that have been announced for the Queen/Coxwell area that are either stalled, dead or proceeding at a glacial pace. In terms of population, this building is adjacent to areas where the population has either been stagnant or declining over the past decade and the new residents are just going to be a small dent in the trend. I was hoping the building would be of moderate quality to buck the trend of garbage buildings in this area, but that didn't happen. The retail will be interesting. Will the two moderately-sized units add enough variety to the strip (which has a lot of small retail spaces) to stimulate things? Will the additional link between the Beach and Leslieville generate more foot traffic to make the strip's retail more viable?

If there's a "housing crisis", there doesn't seem to be much ambition for addressing it in this area. You could build a robust, dense neighbourhood of decent quality at Queen and Coxwell that replaces the lost population and increase it further the take advantage of the area's connections to great neighbourhoods and natural spaces. But no, they gotta lard us up with prefab junk.

Hmmm rather negative. However this is a great area to live with quick access to most of the city (especially when the new Lakeshore Blvd and adjacent new developments in the Portlands etc. are completed). Time will tell of course.

I see this development having a large effect on Eastern Avenue. The nearby Canada Post facility may be up for redevelopment as a new building has opened in Scarborough and that is a massive site.

The dark, grey weather was obscuring the comical cheapness of the panel system. The return of the sun and the completion of some larger portions are showing that all those seams and undulations catch the light and colour in interesting ways, so there should be good photo opportunities ahead especially as they finish the first west wall section.. Hold on to your flatness tolerances, the show is about to begin!

qa-225.jpg

I should add that this is how it looked in person.

Last edited:
The dark, grey weather was obscuring the comical cheapness of the panel system. The return of the sun and the completion of some larger portions are showing that all those seams and undulations catch the light and colour in interesting ways, so there should be good photo opportunities ahead especially as they finish the first west wall section.. Hold on to your flatness tolerances, the show is about to begin!

View attachment 537806

I should add that this is how it looked in person.
To be a little fairer, the sun's at a pretty acute angle to the surface in this shot, which is just about the least flattering angle one could use to judge the overall impression of the finish. That said, there are some absolute stinker installations in that group.

To be even more fair, the white is very flattering in most photos and hides a lot of detail that can been seen in person.

To be even more fair, the white is very flattering in most photos and hides a lot of detail that can been seen in person.

Even then, it really does not look at all good.

The oil canning is rather evident on top of overall cheapness.

Back