Toronto Peter Gilgan Centre for Research and Learning | ?m | 21s | Sick Kids | Diamond Schmitt

6306200706_045a5884d5_b.jpg

Bay & Edward. I'm loving the glass (it looks even better in person) -

The glass on this building is rich and delightful. It works surprisingly well as a kind of modern ornament that hasn't really been seen before - while being wholly functional. It does wonders for Bay at this location, right where it needed it. I thought that the St. Michael's Hospital addition was a strong building from D&S, but this one takes the cake. It's a real pleasure to look at - not something I usually expect from institutional buildings. It's especially a treat, because this building had a lot in its setup that could have easily had it become a bulky, efficient, laudable depressant. But it's exceeded expectations, and just keeps looking better and better as it goes.

Southcore and a lot of the neo-modernist stuff going up now should sit up and take notice. More of this kind of quality, please!

dands.jpg

dands3.jpg

dands2.jpg

dands4.jpg

Last edited:
drove by this today. gorgeous building. will hopefully anchor that stretch of bay.

as great as all of the 70 story tridel condo's on the waterfront are... buildings like this are the real building blocks of our city, imo. this one is one of the most underrated builds out there.

Back