Toronto Peter Gilgan Centre for Research and Learning | ?m | 21s | Sick Kids | Diamond Schmitt

They've pulled out the forms to expose the first curvy bit on the east facade. Also, not sure if I'm liking the colour changes in the curtainwall so far. Right now it's too subtle, and just looks like a glazing defect.

If you want unsubtle colour walk to the new YWCA at Elm & Elizabeth.
The renderings show the colour changing from green to blue.
Right now the curtain wall looks different from minute to minute, dependent on the angle and light. Quite sophisticated I'd say.

View up Bay St.

IMG00886-20111004-1453.jpg
IMG00885-20111004-1453.jpg

Attachments

• IMG00886-20111004-1453.jpg
    IMG00886-20111004-1453.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 396
  • IMG00885-20111004-1453.jpg
    IMG00885-20111004-1453.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 372
Beyond issues of colour, I'm enjoying the new "fuzzy look" we're getting with these fritted glass effects - Ryerson's School of Image Arts is another one.

Glass, glass and more glass. Glass facing South.
sick-kids-15-10-2011-1.jpg

Glass facing South.
sick-kids-15-10-2011-2.jpg

Closeup.
sick-kids-15-10-2011-3.jpg

Glass on the Northern portion of Sick Kids.
sick-kids-15-10-2011-4.jpg

Looking towards Sick kids from the East.
sick-kids-15-10-2011-5.jpg

I would gladly accept a few more glass boxes without reservation if they employed that kind of cladding.

And yes I realize that there would be some degree of impracticality to employ fritted glass to the same degree on a residential building. Though I see no harm in using it for spandrel panels, balcony glass (see Absolute world) and for the upper and lower portions of windows. The effect might not be as dramatic, but would still make for a nice touch.

What an improvement to the area! I may be somewhat boxy but that glass cladding is so dynamic.

What is happening with the piano curve floorslab? The renderings show a smooth glassy skin. Anyone know if the glass will be straight or curved? Will it actually be curved, or flatly faceted?

Thanks for that, but that rendering would suggest curved glass within a Curtainwall system. If this happens it will be great, but you know how renders can tell lies. Curved glass on this scale will be very expensive and probably hard to find. A developer would never use curved glass, it would always be "value engineered" out of the project altogether or be downgraded to faceted. I only hope the ambition is backed up with the real thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a hospital project, not a private developer project. The amount of money spent on materials for this project is not determined by the strawman of "developer greed," but by the level of public funding and private donations. If you didn't write a cheque to Sick Kids' to have those windows curved, don't get upset about any value engineering that may take place.

This is a hospital project, not a private developer project. The amount of money spent on materials for this project is not determined by the strawman of "developer greed," but by the level of public funding and private donations. If you didn't write a cheque to Sick Kids' to have those windows curved, don't get upset about any value engineering that may take place.

Sorry, do you think projects for institutions do not have fiscal boundaries?
My point is that I am hopeful that this project will live up to the promise of the promotional images. There has not been over the top hype or hyperbole on this building and it seems to have slipped under the radar. I just hope it is a better quality of architecture and construction than most other big buildings in this city. Condos are condos and will always be lowest common denominator construction, but we have to look to the large institutions for leadership. U of T try hard, the AGO has now presented two exceptional reworkings, but other projects e.g. TIFF are huge disappointments. I'm sure sickkids want a new research facility which matches its ambition to be one of the best kids hospitals in the world.

The concrete "balcony" would probably look different if they are using flat curtainwall units. But you're right curved glass is expensive - though MaRS did use a little bit of it at the ground floor.

AoD

Back