Toronto Parliament Slip | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto | West 8

And a few renderings. I like that all of these elements seem to be self-contained and able to be funded separately so we could see some elements earlier. If built soon this would be Canada’s third outdoor harbour baths following Quebec City and Ottawa. https://green-marine.org/stayinform...ates-north-america-s-first-port-bathing-area/

Btw the ‘cultural centre’ keeps being alluded to. Are these placeholders? Hmmmm

View attachment 544355

View attachment 544356View attachment 544362View attachment 544363

It’s almost like we’re going to use GoFundMe and make each self-contained element a stretch goal. “Greta job guys! If we just raise $5k more we get a (one) bench!”

Maybe! Lol But what I have heard of the cultural centre is that there are private tours being given to very interested parties that want to see something ‘significant’ at that spot.

Maybe! Lol But what I have heard of the cultural centre is that there are private tours being given to very interested parties that want to see something ‘significant’ at that spot.

Yes, there are people being pitched and people making pitches..........but we're some distance from a deal worth doing, let alone a done deal.

Canada's billionaire class, by and large are stingy sorts, who piece meal out a few million here and there.

Which is to say, not the kind that allow for excellence.

There are exceptions..........but if you want 'greatness' in a facility, both in the building and the operation, the budget is at the very least in the hundreds of millions and a lead donor really needs to eat 1/2.

Last edited:
Hrm… but also, I have no idea what interested parties would make me feel good about the prospects. Rich donors who’d write initial cheques, ensure something wacky, then forget to pay? Federal reps who want the riding back, but will have to distance themselves from too much city money come election time cuz they need to win Napanee as well? Great Gulf/Dream/CF? Maybe Google has some ideas for the silos

Fingers crossed for positive news, would love to see some sort of cultural anchor, like the Harbourfront Centre or Toronto Museum.

Yes, there are people being pitched and people making pitches..........but we're some distance from a deal worth doing, let alone a done deal.

Canada's billionaire class, by and large are stingy sorts, who piece meal out a few million here and there.

Which is to say, not the kind that allow for excellence.

There are exceptions..........but if you want 'greatness' in a facility, both in the building and the operation, the budget is at the very least in the hundred of millions and a lead donor really needs to eat 1/2.

Vancouver's new H&deM designed art gallery is I believe 1/3 funded by donation. Whatever gets built here there will probably be a federal and provincial contribution to top it off.

Personally, I think a museum of the great lakes would be interesting. Different than the one in Kingston and more focused on archaeological history, industrial and pre-industrial history, and maybe even a section dedicated to marine life in the lakes with aquariums etc. Probably too boring for the avg person to generate enough interest though.

I need a statue for the Knapp Roller.

But really. Imagine they built something like this

IMG_2950.jpeg

Make it like a Wychwood Barns or Brickworks with event space for community stuff, have some permanent exhibits on the lakes, Portlands, etc. Obviously doesn’t need the same footprint as a shipyard. Though I suppose before we think about community cultural spots we should see how the Daniels Artscape building is doing. Anyone know if they still have community arts programming there?

Hrm… but also, I have no idea what interested parties would make me feel good about the prospects. Rich donors who’d write initial cheques, ensure something wacky, then forget to pay? Federal reps who want the riding back, but will have to distance themselves from too much city money come election time cuz they need to win Napanee as well? Great Gulf/Dream/CF? Maybe Google has some ideas for the silos

Fingers crossed for positive news, would love to see some sort of cultural anchor, like the Harbourfront Centre or Toronto Museum.

They will need something more inspiring than that - and Harbourfront Centre is mired in some existential angst right now. What's the sell? So far nothing in the public domain inspires much confidence as to the "case" for such a building, much less excitement.

AoD

Some additional info/images from DRP presentation.

Also of great interest is the use of Halifax based MLSA who did the great Queens Marquee development. I expect very good things from them!

IMG_8088.png

IMG_8087.png
IMG_8086.png

Last edited:
God man I really hope so! I was really afraid that it would just turn into a school, which was contemplated as an option for the site. We could really use something cultural here to attract people here.

If I had a vote I would go with a facility combining a library and a theatre. As someone who has lived in a few large cities of different ages and in different regions I have to say one of this city’s true contributions to urban living is the great job we do with making libraries a vital community resource! The theatre is a given because it brings people together and the combination of the two would make for a project large enough to have an international competition and several donors.

Even though it's considered more low brow/plebeian, a cinema would probably bring in more traffic than a theatre. There are lots of film studios in the area too so a cinema would build on what's already there.

Back