Toronto Pan Am Village in the West Don Lands | ?m | ?s | DundeeKilmer | KPMB

The best new trees I've seen in this city is the Weeping Willow trees planted at Sugar Beach. Those trees are doing so well and look beautiful at summer and they keep their leaves, so much longer then the others. They create a great visual impact, when you enter the park.

This. Willow trees get their leaves much earlier and hold them much longer. Why not utilize them more? We only get leaf cover for half the year as it is, why not extend that as much as we can.

Same goes with pine trees, etc. Sure big leafy trees are amazing but what about the other half of the year? This is a pet peeve of mine.

Say 40% (it may be less, but it's not much more than that). Dundee Kilmer still has 3 blocks that they can develop after the Games. Everything south of the extended Mill St will be done over time by other developers. River City has 2 blocks available for Phases 3 and 4 (outside of the Games area...so these can go ahead anytime). I think that one of these blocks on Mill St may be allocated for a potential school next to the park.

Note: There are monthly public meetings if anyone is interested. They have one tonight at 7pm at 11th floor amenity room at 39 Parliament Street. But Waterfront Toronto has held an overall update session for the public, too. Their last one was May, 2012...so hopefully they will have another soon, as the monthly ones are more involved with the local residents associations

Last edited:
Today:

kQ7g7Mz.jpg

It will be interesting to see the UT reaction once we're able to get some close up shots of some of these buildings. We're used people scrutinizing over every last detail of a building as it's being built.

It will be interesting to see the UT reaction once we're able to get some close up shots of some of these buildings. We're used people scrutinizing over every last detail of a building as it's being built.

We got a good look at the site earlier this month. Here is the front page story from April 5th in case you missed it.

And those tarped piles of salt have been there for decades. I remember a friend in 1979 shooting video of it in art skule... back when video was brave new tech and portable video cameras were very expensive indeed.

Didn't realize there was already some cladding up on that building, would have gone closer to check it out if I knew.

To be honest, I didn't realize there was cladding either, otherwise I would have switched to a telephoto lens for that shot! Here is a zoomed in version of yesterday's photo:

ARDqJDr.jpg

Looks great (from a distance)!

It is next to impossible to see the cladding/glazing on this affordable housing building up close while Eastern Ave and Underpass Park Phase 2 is all fenced off, although some members have jumped the fences to get pics previously; although being conscious of safety I wouldn't recommend it :p

Idea: plant cherry trees on Cherry Street.

Reality: Toronto. Common sense doesn't ever prevail. :)

This. Willow trees get their leaves much earlier and hold them much longer. Why not utilize them more? We only get leaf cover for half the year as it is, why not extend that as much as we can.

Same goes with pine trees, etc. Sure big leafy trees are amazing but what about the other half of the year? This is a pet peeve of mine.

Cherry Blossom trees and cherry trees are actually different plants. Planting some cherry blossom trees would be a fantastic idea for Cherry Street. Only issue could be that the blossoms themselves can cause slippery conditions on roads.

Willow trees need large amounts of water and therefore tend to be located next to water bodies. Their roots are extremely aggressive and will commonly destroy roadways and underground pipes in their hunt for moisture.

Back