Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

A new downtown subway in my lifetime would be worth voting for.

Agree. With the rapid development on the west side along Lakeshore, King, Queen, we need a subway to efficiently bring people to/from there, whether as part of the DRL or as a separate line, from Jarvis to Dufferin. Somewhere near King st probably will be ideal. Streetcars there are painfully slow due to the high frequency of stops as well as traffic lights.

I always just call it the spadina line, the Yonge line, the Bloor line, and the Sheppard line. The DRL should really be called the king line or queen line depending on its routing.

but Spadina line and Yonge line are one line, not two. Just because it makes a U turn doesn't make it two separate lines.
Sheppard line is not a line, but rather a spur from Yonge line. It doesn't require a name for now unless it is extended significantly.

Or name the lines after important figures which have nothing to do with routing or colour.

Ottawa is calling it's new LRT line the Confederation Line. I also think that for Ottawa, names like the Bytown Line and the Rideau Line would make sense (the latter being the N-S line, since it more or less follows the Rideau River). Vancouver of course uses a similar naming scheme.

But I think it's too late for Toronto to move over to that type of naming scheme, because the street names are so engrained in people's minds. As for the DRL, if it's interlined with the University-Spadina Subway, I think it should be called the Spadina-Don Mills Subway. It of course removes the "downtown" part of it from the name, and still keeps it relatively simple. The Yonge part of the line would just simply be known once again as the Yonge Subway.

I know you think it should be interlined with the spadina line, but you have to admit it is highly unlikely. It will likely run from dundas station to pape station, along queen or king and be an independent line.

I know you think it should be interlined with the spadina line, but you have to admit it is highly unlikely. It will likely run from dundas station to pape station, along queen or king and be an independent line.
I can't see it going to Dundas station, if it goes to Queen or King. But perhaps that's a good idea to relieve Yonge. It could go from Pape to King, and then head up Bay, with tunnel connections to Queen, and Dundas station ... and then express to Bay station, then express to Avenue/St. Clair and the new Avenue station on Eglinton West.

Excellent idea!

Ottawa is calling it's new LRT line the Confederation Line. I also think that for Ottawa, names like the Bytown Line and the Rideau Line would make sense (the latter being the N-S line, since it more or less follows the Rideau River). Vancouver of course uses a similar naming scheme.

But I think it's too late for Toronto to move over to that type of naming scheme, because the street names are so engrained in people's minds. As for the DRL, if it's interlined with the University-Spadina Subway, I think it should be called the Spadina-Don Mills Subway. It of course removes the "downtown" part of it from the name, and still keeps it relatively simple. The Yonge part of the line would just simply be known once again as the Yonge Subway.

I'm personally not a fan of this naming scheme. Subways do not necessarily have to run directly under roads. Plus this naming scheme isn't accurate at all.
Of the 32 stations on the Yonge-University-Spadina line, only two are actually on Spadina Road. The name completely ignores the Allen Road and Vaughan portion of the line. If the TTC were to actually follow their own naming scheme the line it would be called the Yonge-University-Spadina-Allen line.

My personal preference is to use an alphanumerical or colour coded naming scheme. Or maybe something similar to Vancouver's naming sceme which is a little less dull and boring.

I can't see it going to Dundas station, if it goes to Queen or King. But perhaps that's a good idea to relieve Yonge. It could go from Pape to King, and then head up Bay, with tunnel connections to Queen, and Dundas station ... and then express to Bay station, then express to Avenue/St. Clair and the new Avenue station on Eglinton West.

Excellent idea!

I think he was referring to Dundas West station.

And yet Dundas station has a higher ridership than either King station or Queen station.

not sure about weekdays, since I don't take the subway to work, but it is definitely true on weekends/evenings. Dundas stn is always the most crowded.

Assuming the DRL is primarily to relieve pressure off Yonge during rush hour, I fail to see the benefit of your proposal to go thru Dundas Station and then along bay to St Clair/Ave rd. There is nothing on bay st north of Dundas and there is certainly nothing at St Clair/Ave rd. Plus, what's the point of having a line on Bay when there are two lines just nearby?

The sane idea is to let the line run along somewhere between King/Queen after passing University ave all the way to Dufferin and beyond. That's where most of the future growth lies. We would need a rapid transit there sooner or latter. The population growth there is insane in the next 5 years.

I admit it's unlikely that that will be chosen, but until something is set in stone, I'll continue to push for it.

And I know the TTC's naming is pretty inconsistent (the Spadina line runs under Spadina for a very small percentage of the total length of the line), but realistically Spadina is the only line that doesn't really follow a single road for the majority of it's length.

And naming the line after the terminus wouldn't work either, because I don't think Torontonians would appreciate it being named the "Vaughan Subway".

If Toronto can't rename the lines to something like Ottawa or Vancouver, then yes I prefer the alphanumeric system, which works well as part of an integrated regional network as well. The fantasy maps that I've created have used that system, so you know I'm partial to it, haha.

Why should Toronto rename any of its subway lines after famous figures or aspects of Canadian history or culture? Just because it's "cooler" and less "boring"? I'll take functionality and easy navigation for $600, Alex.

I fail to see the benefit of your proposal to go thru Dundas Station and then along bay to St Clair/Ave rd.
Sorry, I was trying to point out that he had both named the wrong station, and also the irony the alignment missed the busiest downtown station between Union and Bloor, in a humorous way.

While I have no doubt, that at some point in the next century the TTC will have to build an express subway down/near Yonge ... I don't think we're there yet.

A second DRL could go through Dundas and catch Ryerson, the bus station, Chinatown, and head north to connect to the 2 Spadina Stations.

A second DRL could go through Dundas and catch Ryerson, the bus station, Chinatown, and head north to connect to the 2 Spadina Stations.

Is this an alternate route alignment or a second new downtown line? If you're proposing the latter that would be a huge waste of money. The area is already very well served by transit. If you're concerned about connecting the two Spadina stations, I would suggest running the Spadina Streetcar with signal priority and eliminating some stops. It would introduce even more rapid transit to the area at a negligible cost.

Back