Toronto OnePark West | ?m | 13s | Daniels | Core Architects

January 17, 2009

cole1b.jpg

cole1.jpg

Isn't that Gerrard?

the city looks so barren from that angle, haha.

i'd like to see that angle again in maybe 5-10 years. there will be so many waterfront communities (cross your fingers), the new waterfront, and filmport.

i wouldn't be suprised if the cityscape remained relatively unchanged in the next 5-10 years. we've had some boom times. there's going to be a real slow down.

i think they will be covering the mechanical up with something, though, maybe some of the black brick cladding. i say this because i walk by here pretty often and they've added a frame around it. do wiser members agree?

i criticize aA alot, but they do a good job of creating elegance. i find it hard to see them leaving such a thing so overtly exposed, even given the neighbourhood.

What makes the new Regent Park hot (and cool)

reggentpark.jpg

What makes the new Regent Park hot (and cool)
January 30, 2009
Stacey Askew
National Post

The refurbished Regent Park development is being touted as one of the greenest and most self-sufficient in Canada.

A district energy system, housed in a new tower’s basement, will provide heating, cooling and hot water to 12,500 tenants, condo owners and businesses when construction is completed in 2016.

“This is an example of the kind of investment we have the opportunity to leverage in a very large quantity,†Deputy Premier George Smitherman said at a press conference today announcing a partnership with Corix Utilities for the energy system.

“It’s important to provide energy inside Toronto without a lot of outside lines coming inside.â€

Mr. Smitherman, the province’s Minister of Energy and Infrastructure, also hinted investments in government housing and heating systems will be announced in a few weeks.

Toronto Community Housing, which is responsible for the Regent Park development, plans to invest $36-million and will own 60% of Regent Park Energy Inc. It will maintain majority ownership and control. Corix will invest $24-million for the remaining 40% stake.

While the system is currently solely for heating, cooling and hot water, there is a built-in capability to generate energy using green sources such as geothermal, solar or cogeneration (using a heat source to create heat and electricity).

The system will run on natural gas to start, but if electricity is generated it could be used.

The energy generated by the system will keep 400,000 tonnes of greenhouse gases out of the air over 30 years. That’s the equivalent of removing 66,000 cars from the roads for a year, or, as Mayor David Miller put it, “everyone in Peterborough taking their cars off the streets.â€

The system is powered by high efficiency boilers and chillers that are housed in a residential basement. Insulated underground pipes carry primary low temperature hot water and chilled water to individual residences and businesses. The hot water will also be used for heated tap water.

The energy costs 15% less than traditional systems. The new buildings are also designed to be energy efficient, including a thermal window system that keeps heat and cold out, and low flow showers and toilets.

Mr. Miller predicted other cities and developers will mimic Toronto’s system.

“The buildings are green, the energy is green and soon people across the city and across Canada will be able to do the same,†he said.

The system will be operational by May, when the first tenants move in to the former public housing project, now a mixed-income community.

Photo of Regent Park construction last month by Tyler Anderson, National Post

Back