Toronto OnePark West | ?m | 13s | Daniels | Core Architects

I wasn't talking about what goes on in the bedroom. I was talking about the landlord taking measures to ensure that nothing is done by the tenants that would detract from the outward appearance of the building - I don't know what is considered "stupid" in that.

Yet by dictating the proximity of one's personal possessions to the windows and balconies of a building, the government/landlord is entering those spaces. Digi hits the nail on the head - it's easy to desire a certain effect (especially if you do keep your unit clean), but what recourse is taken if one does not comply?

Yet by dictating the proximity of one's personal possessions to the windows and balconies of a building, the government/landlord is entering those spaces.

Oh c'mon. It's their building and they are hardly giving up all their rights to ownership by renting the space out. A prospect tenant also has the choice not to sign if they find the ground rules too harsh.

It would never affect me because I would never cover my windows with tin foil and bedsheets or use my balconey to store junk ... I take too much pride in where I live to do that.

But of course, you're different, special, and not like 'the others'. You're a unique snowflake.

Kind of sad that our affordable housing units look better than most of the condo projects going up in the city. If the rest of the buildings turn out as good, the new Regent Park will be a tremendous success for the city.

exactly, though to be fair when you strip these buildings down to the basic elements they are still glass boxes. Its all in the detail really... the random divisions in the glass creates a nice pattern that really delights the eyes. I dont think that adding touches like this is terribly expensive and so it really makes me wonder why we cant get more developers using this technique. I guess maybe they felt they needed to make an extra effort here to attract more of the "market value" residents to this infamous neighbourhood.

re: window coverings... arent standard window coverings often included in new projects like this to avoid the potential problems mentioned?

Thank God the curtain police hold no sway on my feisty little residential street.

If Will Alsop's multi-hued Westside Lofts had been built, the condo board gauleiters would doubtless have had a meltdown enforcing a neutral window-coverings rule.

Poor people don't deserve poor design, and good design isn't exclusive to the rich; a fine contemporary building like this trumps pretentious faux towers in tonier parts of the city hands down.

re: window coverings... arent standard window coverings often included in new projects like this to avoid the potential problems mentioned?

Don't know about this place, but in most condos you gotta buy your own window coverings.

Shop around, because prices vary.

Thank God the curtain police hold no sway on my feisty little residential street.

If Will Alsop's multi-hued Westside Lofts had been built, the condo board gauleiters would doubtless have had a meltdown enforcing a neutral window-coverings rule.

Poor people don't deserve poor design, and good design isn't exclusive to the rich; a fine contemporary building like this trumps pretentious faux towers in tonier parts of the city hands down.

I was not advocating neutral window coverings - I'm just stating that tin foil, bed sheets and flags are not acceptable window treatments. I'm also not against good design for the poor either. What concerns me is that even a fine building (and this is one of the finest being built) will soon turn into a slum if the residents don't take PRIDE in where they live. As an example St James Town is similar in concept to the City Park Co-op on Church (both are "Towers in a Park") but St James Town today is a slum whereas City Park Co-op is an urban oasis. The majority of residents of City Park take great PRIDE in their apartments (as witnessed by the many balconeys decorated with care) and this makes all the difference. I believe when you live in a highrise you owe it to your neighbors to keep the outward appearance of your unit looking tidy. Just my opinion (seems like I'm outnumbered on this one).

Yippee! Queers are better than imgorants!

LOL Adma... you have hit the nail on the head. The BIG difference between City Park Co-op and St James Town is demographics. The residents of City Park are mostly gay (like me, but I don't live there) who care about the quality of their environment.....whereas St James Towns is..........

Not quite sure what to make of that post. Are you implying that sexual orentation and place of birth dictate one's pride of neighborhood? What an odd remark.

St James Town was crawling with queens when I lived there in '77/78; for the most part we always kept the outward appearance of our units looking tidy.

Looks to me like the same folks are behind the look for One Cole and the new look for CBC Radio 2:

onecole3.jpg

radio2look.jpg

Its kind of weird walking in this area and seeing something so new and modern in this location. It currently really stands out (in a good way).

Back