Mississauga One Park Tower | ?m | 38s | Daniels | Kirkor

I think you missed the most impotent difference:

Notice on one building they have their mouths wide open ... I wonder why? ... I got it! to attack anyone foolish enough to poke fun at MCC, that's the definition of World class.

I think the biggest problem is the building itself, not the gargoyles. The gargoyles might have been okay of the rest of the building wasn't so bland. Old City Hall has a lot of details, One Park Tower does not... it's just ugly precast. That's just my opinion, I know nothing about architecture.

Article from the Toronto Star. The gargoyles are made of foam?
Yes and no. The inside is polystyrene foam which was then enclosed inside of a full metal skeleton and then sprayed with pure polyurea (a durable plastic that won't warp when outside). Mind you, they still weigh 226 kg each.

Thankfully, Old City Hall didn't get the foam treatment.
293378928_f670551c35.jpg
Daniels considered going with a similar bronze castings that the new gargoyles on Old City Hall are but stopped because of the money and weight involved. It's a shame they didn't, but even then, I guess that's still a cheap out for both since the realism would be better if they were actually stone like they traditionally were.

I believe that the City Hall gargoyles are also the same foam structures and the reason they were able to place them at City Hall during the renovation (and they were not able to be placed during the original construction) is that the foam solved the weight issues involved.

Yes indeed they are. And it's also pollution-proof, i.e. no worried-out sandstone projectiles to worry about down below...

Well a tell tale sign that it is cast iron is that they placed lighting rods on them. I Don't think that polystyrene would fair to well when hit by bolt of lightning approaching temperatures of 30,000 °C. Those guys in MCC can melt at the low low temperature of 260 °C.

Kinda sad how part of One Park Tower is made of foam, just like a typical big box structure.

One Park Tower: The Big Box High-rise

There hasn't been much talk on this one, but I stumbled upon this following interesting description of the building on the developer's website. There are some parts which might cause some confusion because of how far-fetched they are. I've bolded these:

You start with a simple idea — different is good. You move to — anything is possible. And if you enlist the talent of top architectural, design and construction professionals — industry visionaries who believe as you do, that a condominium can be more than just a structure of steel, concrete and glass — you create a truly one-of-a-kind residence like One Park Tower.

With its classically inspired façade, soaring arches and ever vigilant gargoyle accents, One Park Tower alludes to a rich and colourful past when architectural design reigned supreme and every attention was given to even the smallest of details.

Soaring up an incredible 38 stories, One Park Tower will be an icon of luxury, modern design, and sophistication — the city’s tallest residential landmark tower, defining and complementing the skyline of Mississauga’s new City Centre.

I've seen cheesy marketing material and condo names, but this description excels in claims that are borderline absurd.

RoCP trumps this tower by leaps and bounds. I don't even like RoCP that much either, but One Park Tower is an example of cheesy faux-historicist architecture at its worst. I love gargoyles, but not here. They don't work on a building that is so bland and featureless otherwise. All you have to do is look at the close-up of Old City Hall's gargoyles versus this building's. One Park's comes off as the most half-assed, last-thought detailing feature imaginable.

I'm sorry, but until there is a return to pre-war architectural craftsmanship and detailing standards, no one should be allowed to build like this. Foam and pre-cast rip offs aren't acceptable in my opinion. Stick to what we can do best at the moment, modernist and contemporary styles. Quit raping the past.

One Park Tower is an example of cheesy faux-historicist architecture at its worst

Sad, but true....:(

I really wanted this one to turn out well, but in the end it is simply Kirkor run amok....if any of you downtown forumers find yourselves out at MCC, have a close look at One Park Tower - it will take your breath away...

Back