News   May 16, 2024
 765     1 

Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
http://www.blogto.com/grocery/ontario-spring-water-sake-company-toronto

The Ontario Spring Water Sake Company

Posted by Guest Contributor / REVIEWED ON MAY 16, 2011

The Ontario Spring Water Sake Company has opened in the Distillery District giving a shot in the arm to the sad state of sake availabilty in Toronto. A beverage long ignored by the LCBO, sake is widely available on the west coast but this marks the first opportunity for Torontonians to try and buy a freshly brewed unpasteurized batch of the alcoholic rice-based beverage without leaving the province.

I hear that it is quite trendy now, among the legions of the young, to sit down in little groups in fashionable bars, cafes and restaurants on certain days of the week and write letters to friends, and mail them, and wait for a reply to come back by snail mail.

I fear this is somewhat of a fad that is short lived. But it's encouraging though.

One of my wonky romantic business dreams is to open up a typewriter shop/cafe, where young budding Hemingway & Dorothy Parker wannabes can try out the wears on sturdy old oak tables while drafting their best sellers while consuming gallons of coffee. No wi-fi required eh.

Picked up a 1935 Royal Junior at the market on sunday...excellent working condition, with a high gloss black paint.

royaljunior03.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Last edited:
I just visited the "Ontario Spring Water Sake Company" in the Distillery today and purchased a couple of bottles. The shop is neat because you can actually see them distilling in the back, through the window. You can sample at the bar, with a price per shot unfortunately. The staff is friendly, and the sake was great. It's extremely drinkable, and smooth. Has a bit of acidity like a nice white wine. Only bad thing was that for the small 300 ml bottles, they are a bit pricey at $12.95-14.95. But I guess, the quality was worth the price.

Lego opened its first Lego Store in Ontario at Sherway Gardens a couple of weeks ago. Parentcentral.ca online article:

Lego Store Launches With Giant Droid

Brandie Weikle
May 13, 2011

....“There are a lot of people like me out there that have only had the mainstream department stores to shop in with their limited selection. Of course there’s the online shop, but who wants to wait to shake that box of little plastic bricks?â€

The Lego Store’s bricks come in more shapes, sizes and colours than fans can find anywhere else, says Childs. The pick-a-brick wall — where customers can select exactly what they want, filling a large cup for $19.99 or a small cup for $10.99 — is a popular destination for fans keen to build their own creations.

“From time to time we have fans in the community who monitor the wall, and when we get certain pieces in they come in droves,†says Childs.

Popular with the younger crowd is the station where kids can make their own Lego mini-figures (three for $12.99), as well as the master builder bar where fans can follow instructions on computers.

Strategically placed at the height of the average 6-year-old are display cases featuring models you can’t buy — these are sets conceived in the imaginations of fans who put them together for the store. Other highlights include a gallery in the storefront window, where the iconic Death Star is on display, as well as other collectors’ sets.

Sandy Pedrogao plans to take her son, Andreas, 5, on Saturday. She’s a pretty big Lego fan in her own right. “I think it will be pretty cool to help build one of the bricks used in the huge R2D2.â€

“This is going to rock my kids’ world,†says Danielle Botterell, mom of Charlie, 7, and Eve, 6. “They’ve been wanting to go the (New York) store — I’m sure we’ll be hitting Sherway very soon.â€

Read More: http://www.parentcentral.ca/parent/newsfeatures/article/990597--lego-store-launches-with-giant-droid

More electronic signage being added to the YD area. This location is about a block south of Dundas.

Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5B 1N8

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 11 203550 ZBA 00 ZR Accepted Date: May 26, 2011

Project: Non-Residential Building Sign

Description: Amendment to permit the erection and display of three third party roof signs, two displaying trivision copy and one displaying electronic moving copy.

As may have been indicated elsewhere, the south side of HMV is now NYC Outfitters or something like that. They used to be up at Maitland & Yonge.

Speaking of Shoppers Drug Mart, I saw one in Poland when I was there last month, although it was called Super-Pharm.

The old Blockbuster store on Eglinton East near Dunfield (across the street from the Madison site) is becoming a Moore's Clothing. I guess they wanted a midtown location.

More Yonge and Eglinton news. I just heard that the HMV in the Yonge Eglinton Centre will close at the end of June. I'm unsure if it is being immediately replaced with a new store, but if not, it's a pretty sizable vacancy.

Back