News   Apr 26, 2024
 367     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 940     1 

Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
Pier 1 at Yonge/Shuter is closing.

http://www.torontolife.com/daily/st...-1-to-close-yonge-street-location/#more-16583

Pier 1 Imports at Yonge and Shuter will close its doors on March 11, with the teensy Beach store at 1986 Queen Street East left to serve the downtown core. The Yonge and Shuter location is in a state of disarray as the last items sell, most on deep discount, like Christmas decorations on sale for 75 per cent off, home furnishings 30 per cent off previously discounted prices, and, puzzlingly, elaborate Harlequin masks for $75 to $85.

Reasons abound for the closure, but Pier 1 PR rep Harriet Burrow told us the company looks at stores on a case-by-case basis, and though she could not confirm rent prices, she did tell us that rent is a factor in store closures. The location also lacks convenient parking for shoppers to load furniture into their cars, unlike the bustling store at Eglinton and Laird.

But perhaps most telling was the woman we overheard, holding a discounted floral accent pillow and remarking, “I can find something I actually like at HomeSense.” The rival decor store, which opened a few years ago, is located mere doors away.

There are rumours that a boutique gym will take over the space, but for the time being, downtowners will have to make do with practising squat thrusts at the GoodLife across the street.

Hmmm, maybe a nice spot for Crate & Barrel?

....or CB2 perhaps....it would have made a better Urban Outfitters at the corner than in-line where they are now, so much more retail presence at any corner.....nice spot for J-Crew or any other hot retailer.

Looks like long time Yonge St. retailer Syd Silver has rented it's last Tux. They are currently having a bankruptcy sale.

sydsilver.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like long time Yonge St. retailer Syd Silver has rented it's last Tux. They're are currently having a bankruptcy sale.]

Syd Silver announced that they're closing down back around Christmas. They can't compete with Moores and Freeman/Tip Top.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are rumours that a boutique gym will take over the space, but for the time being, downtowners will have to make do with practising squat thrusts at the GoodLife across the street.

There is extreme fitness at yonge and dundas and another one just north of queen (if i can recall correctly) and south of King..do we really need another gym along that strip? C & B would be nice!

Looks like long time Yonge St. retailer Syd Silver has rented it's last Tux. They're are currently having a bankruptcy sale.

sydsilver.jpg

I hope whoever takes the Syd Silver space rips off that ugly façade and hopefully behind it is something prettier that would go better with the buildings on its left and right.

That store gave me the 'Are you being served?' vibe every time I saw it.

Also looks like old department stores in Belgrade.

I hope whoever takes the Syd Silver space rips off that ugly façade and hopefully behind it is something prettier that would go better with the buildings on its left and right.

Won't overargue with that general sentiment; though the existing "ugly facade" seems to have become a "50s/60s commercial frontage" cult object in its own right...

It's too bad it's in such a state of disrepair. I like that it's a good representation of design and taste for it's time and although some people will miss it's passing, it will probably be more appreciated by the next generation of UTers.

General update:

The prominent vacancy just north of Yonge and Dundas (what used to be strata shoes or what not) has been leased.

I know it's mentioned before somewhere but the Swiss Chalet just north and on the west of Yonge of the above location looks like it's going to close sometime soon and is for lease.

Nike store north of Eglinton that was leased by a furniture company is now back on the market again (although it was clear that was temporary). The adjacent store to the south that was for lease has been leased. There are 5-10 vacancies on this strip - some stores have been leased but others have gone out of business, pretty stagnate overall lately in that sense.

There's definitely a lot more vacancies in the Yonge Lawrence area now.

I find King street west (west of Spadina) to Dufferin has a lot of vacancies, I don't think these are necessarily new but have been around for a while.

Did a walk on Queen W, there's not as much as a I thought for lease in the strip up to Spadina (a little west of it actually) ... a few spots though. Further west there's more but I think this has always been the case really.

Does anyone know what's going on with the ben and jerry's?? I think they were evicted a few summers ago but the store doesn't look like it's for lease. The little mini mall there is pretty much dead ... the bubble tea joint is closed for renovations (so it's opening again soon) but with that the place is nearly deserted.

Finally, NYCC ... the area south of the station has very few vacancies ... although there's not much, a lot of restaurants. North of NYCC there are ton of vacancies now ... this is mainly due to the new Tridel and Pulse buildings that have a lot of Yonge street frontage with the small retail format at the base. These buildings together probably introduced 20+ new stores, pretty much all empty so far (the Pulse ones have sat empty for a few months now).

A new 2 floor Shoppers Drug Mart opening soon on Queen W... In the old Caban/Urban Planet location !

Back