P1240821.jpg

P1240825.jpg

P1240862.jpg

P1240830.jpg

P1240829.jpg

P1240864.jpg

Not a bad spot for lunch?

P1240865.jpg

Back down at ground level, Waterscapes is now under construction between Nautilus and the lake.

P1240866.jpg

Went on a tour of the building over the weekend and managed to snap up some pics . . .. enjoy

Lobby:

Pool & Hot Tub:

Yoga/Spinning Studio:

Gym:

Sports Lounge:

Party Room:

Library:

Theatre:

Terrace:

You know, despite all the criticisms of this project, I think it turned out quite nicely - especially in the photos above.

The retail seems well designed. Very high ceilings on the space, and retailers love that. Guess Monarch learned from the retail disaster in their first phases.

Monarch has learned nothing. Had they, the company would have hired a different architect going forward. Here's hoping that Waterscapes turns out better but my fingers are going to remain tightly crossed (eg. we're essentially just waiting for the latest manifestation of The Graziani + Corazza Effect to appear). Even if the overall form is somewhat attractive, the detailing is so unacceptably hideous that the whole thing suffers as a result. At the very least, Humber Bay seems to be working as Interchange42 predicted for Aria - as a piece of fly paper that keeps them from working further downtown and one which keeps architecture of a similar ilk in the suburbs where it belongs (though I'd argue that it's no less damaging here than elsewhere).

I'm afraid I don't see your point. The detailing is simply average (and believe me I have seen much worse ilk in downtown Toronto, try the ctrl c, ctrl v happening at Simcoe and Bremner), but this tower is just plainly inoffensive.. I mean I could do without the giant side-boob, but overall this tower isn't the disaster I foresaw. The retail space is very well designed, clearly cues have been taken from the secondary HBS precint plan and Monarch has learned that low ceiling heights in commercial spaces does not generate much interest. The height of the retail space is staggering in this one, worth a look see if you're in the area.

I'm more curious how this will tie in with Waterscapes and the Village Court development that will close the implementation on this part of the strip. Waterscapes is retail-heavy and all of it running through the Village Court and along Marine Parade. I assume the same attention to proper retail space will manifest itself there and attract some good eateries the area is lacking.

The precast podium looks cheap and lifeless, the colour choices are all wrong (the green balcony glass with the blue balcony glass with grey with silver mullions). And materials aside, I find the design to be really lazy and poorly thought-out. Ugh :( @ this one.

I think this came out half decent and only wish that, the under construction (especially the Library District condos) and many other proposed buildings at CityPlace/Entertainment District would come out half as good....
Mind-boggling, why all the trash-talk of about anything that gets designed-proposed/built at Humber Shores:confused:

Last edited:

Back