Toronto MuseumHouse | 71.01m | 19s | Yorkville Group | P + S / IBI

Yes, Victoria University (College) more specifically if I remember correctly.

Club Monaco was signed to I believe a ten year lease when I worked there from the store's opening in the spring of 1996 to when I left in the fall of 1998. It's been extended, obviously, but the long-standing rumours were that the University would at some point want the building back for administrative/classroom purposes.

Yes, I'm pretty sure Vic owns it still. The U of T has already moved into some of the office space on the 2nd and 3rd floors this past year. I also heard they were considering adding or moving the art centre there to take advantage of the cultural corridor that has developed there (RCM, ROM, Gardiner, Faculty of Music).

I also recall that the U of T mentioned a desire to move their art centre to the building and it's a good idea because it would be easier to find for tourists, and tourists would want to see the U of T's great collection of art.

Tearing down such a beautiful and functional stone neoclassical building would be a travesty. I can't believe that was suggested. If you want a streetscape to lose its lustre, demolish its best heritage buildings.

Pics taken June 25, 2011

mGlXh.jpg

yvgge.jpg

xARry.jpg

3oqzx.jpg

4m7PH.jpg

Aulo1.jpg

gRltp.jpg

YRuWA.jpg

thanks for those photos!... that crane removal machine is HUGE! must have caused some serious traffic problems along bloor. I still have no idea what they are doing to cover up the bare concrete on the west side. what kinda material will they use? (paint?)

Not to digress back to Club Monaco, but actually I will.
Its different when the city tells a developer who paid top dollar for a property they cant raze the site. But if a university is tax exempt (are they) and never "paid for" the propoerty then they shouldlnt be given the same latitude to build if a consequential building is there.

I love natural stone cladding for exteriors but lately, we've only seen very neutral stone on the few projects that use it like on Trump and One Bedford. There are so many possibilities, from greyish stone with warm, slightly yellow hues, to the flamboyance of Scotia Plaza's red granite. We need more variety and less neutral stone because some of the current applications could be mistaken for precast concrete.

I'm wondering if the unfinished part of west side will be clad in stone. Presumably if it was going to be clad in silver, that would have happened already.

Since the guy who developed this also owns the medical building next door, he's probably left it unfinished like that for when he eventually builds another new condo right beside it. probably waiting for remenyi to sell out to him

Back