Toronto Motion On Bay Street | ?m | 29s | Concert | IBI Group

The signage and window-wall on Motion are mind-numbingly bad. Bad cladding really can ruin an otherwise inoffensive design.

The signage and window-wall on Motion are mind-numbingly bad. Bad cladding really can ruin an otherwise inoffensive design.

I'd agree with the signs, but I think that Motion is one of the best apartment designs in years.

Hopefully if those businesses survive the first 2-3 years, they'll consider negotiating for a better sign.

It's typically the tenant that provides their own signage. Accordingly it's typically the landlord who pushes for restrictions allowing only certain kinds of signage in order to maintain a certain look for the building. The tenant would generally prefer that no restrictions be placed on them at all when it comes to what kind of signage they use, so that they can go with something cheap if they want to. Without seeing the actual leases, I'd guess that the signage provisions of the leases here favour the tenants.

I hadn't really considered the cladding execution but my god its atrocious, from afar and above the 'podium', it all looks well and good with the offsetting distracting balconies and then the relatively clean straight lines alone the northeast facade corner. Bu the rest looks like they sifted through an a forgotten parts bin and forgot how to put it together. Yikes. Luckily, I tend to direct my eyes above Motion's podium so ill be fine :).

I've been advocating for the banning of those non contextual light boxes and the painted, unilluminated pergola-type store signage. it tends to make it all just look VERY cheap at the street.

Judging by the rendering, they will be reconfiguring the ground and renovating the entire building to "code". The .pdf mentions - "Landlord will be improving the facade of the building, including changing colour of existing green coloured glass panels and install new coverings over the existing mullions". Thanks to LNahid2000 for the link. More information - http://www.lennard.com/files/spaces/265/121-123 Dundas Street W_Broker Flyer (client).pdf

dennys2.jpg

Just in case anyone is interested to know, the Denny's will be opening up between 4/21 and 5/21/2014. This is the official response I received from the Denny's head office.

We have updated our dataBase to reflect that Young + Wright Architects has been folded into IBI Group. Though this project was originally credited to Young + Wright Architects / IBI Group, the dataBase file now simply shows IBI Group as per their request.

Back