Toronto Monde | 149.95m | 44s | Great Gulf | Moshe Safdie

What, the over 2 million American tourists a year to Toronto dont count.
Toronto alone gets aprox. 9-10 million tourists a year, and who cares where they come from, as long as they are spending there cash here and enjoying it.

Your original point was that people don't come here from Paris. I assumed you meant Paris, France, not Paris, Texas.

A 'Water Art Park' would be a pretty cool attraction. During the summer it can be entirely water based, but then convert it all to ice for the winter so the park has a purpose every month of the year.

Sherborne commons is kind of already like this no ? I'm sure you meant a much larger scale though.

I find Sherborne pretty impressive on its own though, by Toronto standards at least.

Sherborne commons is kind of already like this no ? I'm sure you meant a much larger scale though.

I find Sherborne pretty impressive on its own though, by Toronto standards at least.

Yea, much larger scale. Toronto has no grand fountains, at least nothing like I have seen in New York, Chicago, and Philadelphia. For a city by the water, we don't do a great job of bringing the water into the city. A park entirely dedicated to water would be pretty unique.

Yea, much larger scale. Toronto has no grand fountains, at least nothing like I have seen in New York, Chicago, and Philadelphia. For a city by the water, we don't do a great job of bringing the water into the city. A park entirely dedicated to water would be pretty unique.

You'll get no debate from me regarding that.

Well, the only I would say: "For a city by the water", that's rather silly and a moot point if you think about it:

1) What city isn't 'by the water' ... ? : ).
2) Toronto has never been very water oriented otherwise I find compared to other cities. Have said that, I don't find Chicago or Philadelphia are any more water oriented, they just have better fountains : )

You'll get no debate from me regarding that.

Well, the only I would say: "For a city by the water", that's rather silly and a moot point if you think about it:

1) What city isn't 'by the water' ... ? : ).
2) Toronto has never been very water oriented otherwise I find compared to other cities. Have said that, I don't find Chicago or Philadelphia are any more water oriented, they just have better fountains : )

Philly has quite a few nice fountains in high profile locations, and they also have a large park at the water works that is a pretty neat spot. Chicago has fountains on the sidewalks within tree planters along Michigan Avenue, and some pretty impressive fountains inside of a few buildings.

Im just easily impressed, thats all!

How much would a large-scale fountain, like Buckingham Fountain, cost? (it originally costed 750,000 dollars in 1927, so what's that in today's dollars?)

Philly has quite a few nice fountains in high profile locations, and they also have a large park at the water works that is a pretty neat spot. Chicago has fountains on the sidewalks within tree planters along Michigan Avenue, and some pretty impressive fountains inside of a few buildings.

Im just easily impressed, thats all!

We all know Toronto's public realm is a joke compared to just about all cities in the World ... ideally that changes here.

WT recognizes this issue - from the October 10 WT Board Meeting:

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/uploa...entation_1.pdf

AoD

Thanks for posting that AoD. There's a lot of good stuff in there. Wonderful! Let's hope it's seen through.

From page 21 of the report:
cirquecosmo.jpg

'Cosmology Centre'
Yes! Yes! Yes!

There's definitely a lot of wishful thinking in that report. I'd rather see them keep the expectations realistic, manageable and potentially doable. Let's face it Sherbourne Commons is no Millennium Park, not no way and not no how, but it is a nice space and has potential.

As per an historic 'South Street Seaport'-type concept I'd be curious to know if the old 18th century pier that was uncovered a few years back is being preserved somewhere? This could make a great centrepiece for such a plan, along with an historic tall ship and perhaps a museum dedicated to shipping on the Great Lakes and Toronto's waterfront history... and if we're moving historic piers out of their original location could a historic building whose original context has been irretrievably degraded be moved to house such a museum?

Edited to add - ... and no Adma, I'm not suggesting the Harbour Commission Building.

Last edited:
There's definitely a lot of wishful thinking in that report. I'd rather see them keep the expectations realistic, manageable and potentially doable. Let's face it Sherbourne Commons is no Millennium Park, not no way and not no how, but it is a nice space and has potential.

As per an historic 'South Street Seaport'-type concept I'd be curious to know if the old 18th century pier that was uncovered a few years back is being preserved somewhere? This could make a great centrepiece for such a plan, along with an historic tall ship and perhaps a museum dedicated to shipping on the Great Lakes and Toronto's waterfront history... and if we're moving historic piers out of their original location could a historic building whose original context has been irretrievably degraded be moved to house such a museum?

Regarding the comparison to Millennium park, I agree it is somewhat far fetched but, other then the large attractions in the park, the rest of it (which is still great) does feel a lot like Sherborne commons in my opinion i.e. the water features and the quality of materials and the like.

It does lack a large central attraction, and clearly is much smaller.

But honestly, Millennium is one of the most acclaimed parks built in recent time, how much did it cost again ? Somewhere in the 200/300 million range correct ?

But honestly, Millennium is one of the most acclaimed parks built in recent time, how much did it cost again ? Somewhere in the 200/300 million range correct ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Park

USD475mn according to Wiki, up from an original estimate of USD150mn. For that, we can get the Don River re-jig (and a fountain!)

Back