News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.5K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 325     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 888     0 

Toronto Media Landscape and Personalities

CBC to get a $100 mill budget increase from the feds.

With inflation running at ~3%; a 62M increase would essentially be treading water. So the structural increase is likely closer to 38M (depending on what most CBC employees are seeing as raises, and the cost of rights acquisitions as well).

Still, its healthy.

But CBC remains profoundly underfunded when compared to other international broadcasters (on a per capita basis); particulaly when considering the need to operate in 2+ languages.

Last edited:
I really don't get the vitriol that the CBC gets from people on the right. Especially considering how underfunded CBC is. I agree, there shouldn't be ads on CBC and the advertisers could spend that money on the private broadcasters like City, Global and CTV.

We have successful shows like Schitt's Creek and Kim's Convenience. Shows like that should be supported and nurtured. There's no reason CanCon has to suck.

I really don't get the vitriol that the CBC gets from people on the right. Especially considering how underfunded CBC is. I agree, there shouldn't be ads on CBC and the advertisers could spend that money on the private broadcasters like City, Global and CTV.

We have successful shows like Schitt's Creek and Kim's Convenience. Shows like that should be supported and nurtured. There's no reason CanCon has to suck.
I am not sure the right wing folk who do not like CBC really care about the ad revenue as much as they think CBC pushes a 'left wing agenda'. Of course, this really means it has programs that question things and talk about difficult (for right-wingers) subjects like climate change and sexuality.

Legendary hockey announcer Bob Cole has passed away.

I rarely watch sports these days.......but as a kid, it was something my dad and grandfather were into and I sorta learned to like it.

At that time, I remember the HNIC announce team for the Leafs was Bob Cole and Harry Neale.

Bob did have the perfect voice for this, along w/his mixture of properly professional play by play mixed w/genuine excitement.

Back