1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 344     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 907     1 

Toronto Media Landscape and Personalities

The news is out

1707396285886.png

Additionally reported is that 9% of the remaining workforce will be laid off, around 4,800 positions across all of Bell Media (so both radio, TV, and TV show production).

The news is out

View attachment 539041

Additionally reported is that 9% of the remaining workforce will be laid off, around 4,800 positions across all of Bell Media (so both radio, TV, and TV show production).

That they found buyers suggests the businesses are likely viable, just not at the margins Bell would like, or using Bell's business model.

That said, if big (private) media is selling radio assets at a discount, maybe its time for the gov't to buy a few to fill out CBC Radio's network.

In smaller markets, the priority would be getting Radio One present, I would argue for stations in K-W, Hamilton, Barrie, and Kingston for a start.

Should good signal become available in/near Toronto, maybe Radio 3 could get a terrestrial signal.

I would argue the same for broadcast TV assets. CBC used to have double the number of TV stations they do today (if not more); Maybe its time for those CTV2 stations to rejoin CBC (London, Barrie) and maybe pick up Kingston, and Ptbo as well.

That they found buyers suggests the businesses are likely viable, just not at the margins Bell would like, or using Bell's business model.

That said, if big (private) media is selling radio assets at a discount, maybe its time for the gov't to buy a few to fill out CBC Radio's network.

In smaller markets, the priority would be getting Radio One present, I would argue for stations in K-W, Hamilton, Barrie, and Kingston for a start.

Should good signal become available in/near Toronto, maybe Radio 3 could get a terrestrial signal.

I would argue the same for broadcast TV assets. CBC used to have double the number of TV stations they do today (if not more); Maybe its time for those CTV2 stations to rejoin CBC (London, Barrie) and maybe pick up Kingston, and Ptbo as well.

Some of the buyers are... interesting. For example the stations in Hamilton and Niagara are going to Whiteoaks communications, which advertises itself as a Christian focused broadcaster and they presently have only two stations.

UPDATE:
Weekday noon newscasts at all CTV stations except Toronto will end.
6 p.m. and 11 p.m. newscasts on weekends at all CTV and CTV2 stations except Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa are also to be permanently cancelled.

Bell is also ending evening programs The Debate, This Hour and Top 3 Tonight on CTV News Channel, which will be replaced by a four-hour news broadcast on weeknights beginning at 6 p.m.

At BNN Bloomberg, weekday daytime programming is “being streamlined” to reduce the number of separate broadcasts.

W5 will shift from a standalone documentary series to a “multi-platform investigative reporting unit” featured on CTV National News, CTVNews.ca and other news platforms.

Last edited:

All those markets already have CBC Radio, and K-W has an actual dedicated station. Assuming you are talking about more than a transmitter, I know CBC has been interested in those markets, particularly Hamilton, but hasn't had the money to do anything about it. They do receive the provincial morning/afternoon shows. I'd love to see some of those TV stations back in the CBC fold (although, some are owned by Corus, not Bell), but again, I don't see the pubcaster having the money to do this when they too are laying off 10% of their staff.

All those markets already have CBC Radio, and K-W has an actual dedicated station. Assuming you are talking about more than a transmitter,

I was, and I didn't realize that they actually got a dedicated station in K-W OTA, I thought they were just online there, like Hamilton. Thanks for pointing that out!

I know CBC has been interested in those markets, particularly Hamilton, but hasn't had the money to do anything about it. They do receive the provincial morning/afternoon shows. I'd love to see some of those TV stations back in the CBC fold (although, some are owned by Corus, not Bell), but again, I don't see the pubcaster having the money to do this when they too are laying off 10% of their staff.

The thing is, for CBC, losing all those TV affiliates over the years, in addition to not having as robust a presence on cable has hampered their ability to promote their product and driving ratings.

Many of the local stations are nominally, if not actually losing money, but this, as often as not, is because those big conglomerates centralized ad sales in Toronto. Which means you don't get all the local ads which will pay higher per local set of eyesballs than a general national ad; and which the TV stations themselves often produced leveraging existing camera/editing people, so they made money for making the ad, then for airing it.

CBC could, I would argue find a path to at least break even on assets, with a different performance model; and when accounting for gains in national ratings as a result of greater reach OTA, Cable, and market saturation.

In theory, an asset that losing money isn't worth much, and CBC should be able to pick them up on the cheap; or maybe even get them donated, in exchange for a favourable valuation and charity receipt that would be worth more to the station owners, than what they could sell the asset at.

Just a thought.

The news is out

View attachment 539041

I bet Bell's CEO Mirko Bibic's $13.59M yearly salary (before bonuses) won't be cut!

Mirko Bibic, president and CEO of Bell Canada since January 2020, received $13.59 million in total compensation last year. That’s up nearly 20 per cent, or $2.45 million, from the previous year. Much of that increase is attributed to excess pension benefits, which Bibic was eligible to receive after turning 55 that year.
Bibic’s base salary also increased in 2022, up by $100,000 from $1.3 million in 2021 to $1.4 million in 2022.

I bet Bell's CEO Mirko Bibic's $13.59M yearly salary (before bonuses) won't be cut!

Mirko Bibic, president and CEO of Bell Canada since January 2020, received $13.59 million in total compensation last year. That’s up nearly 20 per cent, or $2.45 million, from the previous year. Much of that increase is attributed to excess pension benefits, which Bibic was eligible to receive after turning 55 that year.
Bibic’s base salary also increased in 2022, up by $100,000 from $1.3 million in 2021 to $1.4 million in 2022.

If you go back and look at the inflation adjusted compensation of CEOs from the early 80s, we might expect all-in compensation in the $600,000-$2,000,000 per year range........but instead we routinely see numbers north of 10M and sometimes you even get an extra zero there.

Let's just take the Bell CEO's comp and imagine what a difference it would make if his pay packet were a mere 2M.

That difference of ~11.5M would cover 115 employees full-time compensation at 100k a piece.

Rumor is Rogers is going to be slashing next.
I can tell you they are, but for now are being very quiet about it. Buyouts first to the greatest extent possible. I'm hearing numbers comparable to Bell's.

I should also mention that numerous Bay Street law firms are going through headcount reductions and hiring freezes, for now mostly on the support/business services sides.

I can tell you they are, but for now are being very quiet about it. Buyouts first to the greatest extent possible. I'm hearing numbers comparable to Bell's.

I should also mention that numerous Bay Street law firms are going through headcount reductions and hiring freezes, for now mostly on the support/business services sides.

Rogers was already doing small layoffs last year, so it might not be as seismic as Bell's announcement, but in the same overall range YoY.

Partly, I think the issue here is that Bell and Rogers as media companies never should have been allowed to exist. They were and are, utilities. Its an overt conflict of interest to both own the pipe and what flows through it, when that pipe needs to be open to others due to past (and present) monopolies on infrastructure.

The media companies are losing some money, but I would argue that's a result, again, in part, of poor strategic thinking on the part of executives who are part of a larger conglomerate structure, many of whom don't have media/culture experience.

Its not simply a matter of poor decisions, be that cutting local ad sales teams and local programming that drove ratings; or vastly overpaying for NHL hockey rights........, or gutting what made many specialty channels successful, then whining about low ratings, ad sales and declining viewership.

Though all of those matter.

Its also about poor public policy focus.

There's been a constant move to protect sim sub; instead of just booting American broadcasters off of Basic Cable entirely (which would allow a cheaper, all-Canadian package, which I think would be more popular).

There's been a lack of focus on driving international sales of Canadian programs and sinking that money back into the system, even though many Canadian shows are sold the world over, and do bring home $$$, the effort isn't there to build on that.

For instance, Murdoch Mysteries is a huge hit in the UK, and they did, at their British broadcast partners insistence, shoot 2 episodes over there. But it was, so far as I recall, a one-off move, they don't actively send their stars over to be on Graham Norton et al, and or recruit high profile Brit actors for guest roles.

That's a CBC example, I know; but Rogers had one from a few years ago, their OLN show 'Mantracker', (2 cowboys on horses, playing a 2-day game of hide and seek with 2 would-be fugitives/racers in the Canadian wilderness) was a big hit in Australia and attracted many American viewers as well. But they muddled that opportunity in a host of ways, including losing the show's original star.

Too much cheapskating, not enough vision. If you see Cancon as a money-losing burden, it will be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Finally, I would note, if they wanted their local stations, particularly those providing local news to do better in ads; they should have lobbied the feds to boost CBC's budget to make their news programming ad-free. It would cost less than 100M a year, and yet would let the private broadcasters monopolize the local ad market in TV.

Sigh.

Last edited:
CBC to get a $100 mill budget increase from the feds.

Back