Toronto Massey Tower Condos | 206.95m | 60s | MOD Developments | Hariri Pontarini

CityNews at 6pm yesterday had a great 4 or 5 minute piece on 197 Yonge, it showed details of the building renovation and the proposed tower - but it mostly focused on an amazing video tour of the building. They showed hidden safes that they discovered in the walls, the floor restoration and people up on scaffolding busy with inch by inch restoration work. They did indicate that they were readying the building as a sales office, later to be fully restored and used as the entrance to Massey Tower. I looked for a link to the video on the CityNews site but unfortunately can't find one.

Has this tower been given the green light? Good to see the restoration, as I assume they wouldn't start that, without some idea of the final approvals.

Has this tower been given the green light? Good to see the restoration, as I assume they wouldn't start that, without some idea of the final approvals.

lol....no....they're about....ohhhhh 10 months away (seeing as how they just submitted).

I feel the same way too. The building looks nice, but the area is very touristy and kind of trashy.

I think you're being overally generous. The area is not a desirable residential spot. Reminds me of Broadway south of Canal in Manhattan.

I think you're being overally generous. The area is not a desirable residential spot. Reminds me of Broadway south of Canal in Manhattan.

this stretch of yonge street is pretty much deserted after 6pm once the office towers are vacated.
even many stores shut their doors since there isn't much business to be had.

I don't think that's the case. Maybe south of Queen but not the Dundas to Queen stretch ...

Even south of Queen its debatable that its really that empty after 6. Its generally busy with people walking to the waterfront / SLM area. Also there are restaurants closer to Front on this stretch.

There are some huge patio's on Yonge south of Wellington. - You have the lake to the south, and to the east you have St. Lawrence Market. This location puts you right in the mix.

It's across from a great shopping mall, it's on the subway, it's a 5 minute or less walk to the entire financial district, it's in an area with an active street life and many options for restaurants and entertainment.

It's not a good place for detached houses, but for a condo full of people who want to experience life in the city, what more do you want?

It's a very interesting location to live! It's at the very heart of the national metropolis and near great shopping, theatres, churches and cathedrals, cultural institutions, Dundas Square, the Financial District, and Union Station. It's a quintessentially Toronto location. A Yonge Street address will always mean you own something substantial.

It'll be a Rye High dorm we all know that. :p Ok some professionals will live here, but mostly Ryerson & maybe George Brown kids, oh and maybe some Eaton Centre retail kids.

Eventually, say by 2025, Yonge Street will start to resemble Bay Street crashing with Robson Street--condo towers behind mostly historic retail appealing to college kids. Let me guess: 25 new towers between Bloor and Front Street with 10-20,000 residents.

Sounds like it's at least 75% sold.

Last edited:
this stretch of yonge street is pretty much deserted after 6pm once the office towers are vacated.
even many stores shut their doors since there isn't much business to be had.

That's not true. I walk south on Yonge Street after 6pm every day and there are always people on the street at 9pm. The Shoppers on the Yonge/King corner closes at 9pm and always has people in it when I'm there at that time. There is almost always a crowd of people waiting for the King Street car, even in the evening, so I don't know what you've seen but I certainly don't see empty streets.

Back