Toronto Massey Tower Condos | 206.95m | 60s | MOD Developments | Hariri Pontarini

I wonder if there is room for a new performance venue? Theoretically, could they put a small multi-use space at the back of Massey Hall?

This has been discussed elsewhere in the forum -- it's owned by an absentee owner, an Irishman who apparently bought it because he liked it. Unlike its neighbour at 197, it is a restored building--a very nice restoration was done in the 90s before what was then the Toronto Historical Board occupied it.

Which bonehead mayor decided to sell this city owned historical structure, which of all things...was home to the Toronto Historical Board.
....i guess since it was in the 90s, it all boils down to that dreadfull Mike Harris provincial government.:rolleyes:

The owner of 205 Yonge has so far taken decent care of the building. It was recently powerwashed and netting was put up to keep away the pigeons. Today when I went by someone was powerwashing the sidewalk in front of the building.

Nice! Thanks for the renders!

Sounds it will be tricky maintaining fire escapes and vehicle access.
Also, looking at O'Keefe Lane on Google streetview, it looks pretty narrow.

The owner of 205 Yonge has so far taken decent care of the building. It was recently powerwashed and netting was put up to keep away the pigeons. Today when I went by someone was powerwashing the sidewalk in front of the building.

That is good to hear at least!

good to see something happening here. I just hope that it will be tastefully executed. This section of the skyline between Richmond and Gerrard (atleast when Aura is completed) is certainly in need of some additional height.

Also noticed Tricon has www.masseycondos.com and www.masseycondos.ca registered. Looks like the .ca site is coming soon.:)

Here is a link from today.................http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/560327

Tricon Capital Group Announces Tricon XII Limited Partnership Investment in Landmark Downtown Toronto Condominium Development

TORONTO, Jan. 25, 2012 /CNW/ - Tricon Capital Group Inc. (TSX: TCN) ("Tricon") today announced that the Tricon XII Limited Partnership ("Tricon XII" or the "Fund") has successfully closed a $25.5 million loan to help finance the acquisition of 197-201 Yonge Street (the "Property") and the subsequent development of a high-rise mixed-use tower thereon.

The Property is a 20,300 square foot infill parcel located in the celebrated "Theatre Block" in the heart of downtown Toronto. It is currently improved with the historically designated Canadian Bank of Commerce Building (built in 1905), which will be fully restored and integrated into the development. Furthermore, a portion of the Property fronting Victoria Street will be donated to the adjacent Massey Hall, one of Toronto's most acclaimed live music venues. The project will be known as Massey Tower, in honour of the Massey family and the music hall that bears its name.

Massey Tower will be developed by a joint venture between MOD Developments Inc. and Intracorp Developments Ltd., both prior clients of Tricon with strong track records of developing high-rise condominiums. The project is being designed by Hariri Pontarini Architects, winners of the coveted Governor General's Medal for architectural excellence and the architects for several previous Tricon investments including 100 Yorkville and FIVE Condos at 5 St. Joseph.

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/560327#ixzz1kU8qiNs1

I'll reserve judgement until the renderings come out, but that area is ideal for towers and I'm glad to see the Bank of Commerce building finally getting re-used. The land for Massey Hall is a nice bonus. I'm a little surprised that it's not being combined with the Lennox building next door. I always assumed that they would be re-developed together.

Was just thinking, this property is only one of three greenspaces on Yonge Street downtown, south of Bloor to the railway tracks.

Was just thinking, this property is only one of three greenspaces on Yonge Street downtown, south of Bloor to the railway tracks.

respectfully, although technically correct, the problem is that this 'greenspace' only ever served as perhaps a urinal for the homeless...

I know canadian national beat me to it, but heres a 202m possibilty. If this design were built, it would be amazing IMO.

Untitled-1.png

asd.png

^ That reminds me a little of the old Bazis design for 1BE. The City shot it down, I think because of adverse wind effects, but that would not be as much of an issue in this mid-block location.

Back