Toronto MaRS Centre Phase 2 | 112.77m | 20s | Alexandria | B+H

True, College & University is a total rat hole compared to the beauty and wonder of Bay & Dundas, or Bay & Gerrard, or Church & Dundas, or Front & Spadina, or Queen & Sherbourne

It's more disappointing than any of those intersections.

All intersections have different things going for them and it would insane of us to try and agree on a concensus best intersection. But to say that Toronto is in a lot of trouble if U/C is our best or that it is the worst is probably overstating your dislike for the area. Surely, the corner of Lakeshore and Lower Simcoe must rank below University and College. C'mon.

I didn't say Toronto's in trouble, just that C & U is one of the "worst" (it's impossible to agree on what terms define worst) because it's the most disappointing. I clearly said it's saved only because of the views, too - I was talking about what's on the 4 corners, not what's blocks away.

Yikes smuncky, I hope the damage isn't permanent. It took great willpower to keep Bathurst & Everything out of my post
no worries, i think they're going to have them on sale at my local CDN Tire soon. but i'm guessing i better stock up if i continue to read your posts on this board. ;)

I like this MaRS development and everything about it. The concept is great and the execution is even better. The old hospital has been restored beautifully and from the rendering, the west wing will look great. This kind of project is exactly what Toronto needs and will benefit greatly by it. Well done to all that have played a role in its development. We need more projects like this one.

As for that guy who said College / University was the ugliest intersection in town; I couldn't disagree more! I think this intersection is the nicest in town. You have a beautiful view of the Legislature Building, MaRS looks great, The new U of T buildings are great, the Ontario Government Buildings are nice and Ontario Hydro is nice. I even like the TTC structures! You have wide thoroughfares, wide sidewalks and plenty of older trees.

But that's just my opinion, and as the old saying goes, everyone is entitled to MY opinion.

Fred

yeah....although I was really disapointed with the Norman Foster Pharma. building the CCBR and the Ontario Power buildings more than make up for it. Its not even that its a bad building, I just dont think that he put any effort into it...once again bringing up that scary, world-class saying again.

This new MARS building will not only complete the last part of that intersection, it will be a great addition to our collection of buildings which made it over that threshold of being almost great! Kudos MARS!

Imagine how great the Hydro Building would be if it didn't greet the intersection with what might be the city's worst courtyard...thing.

^
Ya, I hear ya, scarberiankhatru. I get what the architect was trying to do (sort of a mini rockefeller center) but it just doesn't work. There's always hope they could re-design it. Maybe cover it, make a plaza then maybe the lower floor could become part of the PATH system one day. Ahh, sweet concrete dreams.

There are really no intersections in this fair city which make me think or say "wow." Ultimately, they are all disappointing, so the College and University intersection is just following suit.

p5

College & University is currently a legitimate contender for the outright worst corner downtown, saved only by the views to the north and south. Even if MaRS turns out merely OK, the best that may happen is that the corner will just be the most disappointing in the entire city...best intentions gone awry on all four corners.

True, you didn't say this corner was the "Ugliest"; but you said worst and most disappointing. Sorry for misquoting you. But again, I couldn't disagree more. The Queen's Park Legislature is probably one of the nicest buildings in town. MaRS will look great when it's done. College, University and Queen's Park Cres. are all great streets to walk on. The Ontario Government Buildings may be dated, but at the time they were built, they were probably a breath of fresh air! The same with The Hydro building. The Pharmacy Building looks great, but I suppose that is in the eye of the beholder. It's like the OCAD building, you either like it or hate it!

I'd have to say that Yonge & Bloor is the most disappointing.

I know! I live one block from there. But when they build One Bloor East, The Uptown, The Blu, The Casa and The Four Seasons; you'll be too busy looking upward than at the street level. Hopefully, the street level of One Bloor East will be nicely designed.

Back