Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

I'm not clear how ships are going to get to the Lafarge plant with this new arrangement.

The dock wall in front of their plant will be maintained. "Completion of the Phasing", or phase 4 happens only after Lafarge moves, and really consists of naturalizing the river's edge where the Lafarge plant is.

I wasn't clear. The new proposal is to construct a spillway from the Don at Keating channel to the shipping channel, in order to permit condo construction. 416 argued that this spillway should be counted as parkland constructed in phase 1, not phase 3 (or this is how I read "it is not possible that a park will not be built before all development is complete").

But most of the phase 1 spillway is to become the new riverbed in the perhaps-mythical phase 3. So it is hard to imagine that there will be much investment in landscaping of this space to make it attractive, accessible, and useful to park goers. The best we can hope for until the perhaps-mythical phase 3 is something like the Finch hydro corridor I think.

Even if you don't want to interpret the spill way as park space there is still a fairly significantly sized park located at the west edge of cousins quay. It's shaded green on the phase one map. A quick perusal of the legend shows that that shade of green = "dedicated park land". This happens in phase 1. The only land in the Port Lands that can be legally developed in phase 1 are the two pink areas on Polson and Cousins Quay. Therefore, it is not possible that a park will not be built before all development is complete.

I think it looks the whole plan looks pretty good, even if it's not quite as romantic and generous as the previous one. The highly regular blocks of buildings do seem a bit torpid. But - it looks like the spirit of the original has been preserved, and that's wonderful.

I do like the idea of a notable building like a museum or planetarium on Cousin's Quay. In order to bring back some of the space and grandeur of Promontory Park, I'd suggest removing four or all six of the building blocks that are shown occupying the space. I don't see why this couldn't be compensated for with slight height increases across some of the other blocks across the whole development. A fully open park space in that location would make a world of difference to having one largely built up.

Last edited:
A Port Lands museum would be a great way of bringing in [local] tourism. I have always been fascinated by the area and its many evident relics of industrial past. It would be really amazing if a museum were built to pay homage to the portlands history. I am currently working on a project being shot in the portlands and seeing all the overgrown rail tracks to nowhere, rusted facades and pieces of machinery from the 50s, it makes me want redevelopment - but not a complete deletion of history. An industrial waterfront museum in the lower don lands would be an amazing way to pay respect to the past. The rail yards became cityplace with no trace of the past. The west don lands were expropriated and demolished. It would be a damn shame if they hid the past here. It may be a gritty place but it has a strange beauty to it.

Thanks for being the voice of the cynic, k10ery. Somebody has to represent the reactionaries who weren't at the meeting/who didn't watch the webcast/who didn't read the full report, yet who are still certain they know what is going to happen, and that it isn't going to be good. I'd take your word over this backwoods Michael van Valkenburgh any day.

Take MVV's word on how to build a great urban park (given the money). Take my word on what's wrong with Toronto politics. You think he's going to insult the client, in front of the client and a room full of media? Actually he did, but he said people in other cities are just as cheap.

Last edited:
Port Lands Acceleration Initiative, PLAI 2013 (Portland, Waterfront Toronto)

I will leave this up to the mods to added this to other threads or leave as is since it falls under a number of them both here as well in Transportation.

A public meeting will be held in either June or July to amend the current EA for the Portlands as well the mouth of the Don. It will comply with the new proposed master plans for the mouth of the Don as well the Keating Channel/Portland Plans.

This EA is being done under the Port Lands Acceleration Initiative or PLAI.

The Preferred Alternative Plan approved in 2010 and replace with PLAI 2012 that has now been modify using other ideas, will see a new plan surface in the coming months.

The whole area or parts of it will be raised 1-3m with a new spillway.

The spillway will follow Don Rd Way from the mouth of the Don to the Shipping channel as well what was proposed. The Don Roadway will be raised 3m. It may have transit on it as well.

Commissioner St that was to disappear under the the approved plan in 2010 is now the main road for the area, with a new bridge going over the spillway and transit will be relocated to this road now.

A new road north of the shipping channel will most likely have to had a bridge over the spillway and it was never part of any EA plans before.

Both the Lake Shore and the Railway bridges will also have to be raise as well lengthen.

All other service are being upgraded as well being relocated.

Because of the need to raise the land for flood protection, its unknown what will happen to the historical and remaining buildings being protected for this area at this time.

Provision has been made to protect a few industries until they decide to relocated.

There are only 7 bridges in place of the plan 10 for the area now.

Cherry will remain as proposed up to Commissioner St, but will change south of it.

Various new districts site plans will be develop over the next year or so.

The existing Cheery St bridge will be replace within the next 10 years.

Transit will be funded by a levy with buses going in first. TTC is not at the table at this time.

The Cherry St LRT needs to be extended under the railway when the new roadway and bridge is built, but will require to drop 2m to get under it at this time in place of buses. You need this if we are to maintain transit first in place of the car. We also need the rest of the new QQ east LRT line as well.

Once the amend EA is approved, the various projects plan for this area will be allow to get underway knowing what is being plan for their sites or around them.

Down side is having a gap between this area as well East Bay 1

Next meeting and hope they change their mind of reducing the channel width from 200m to 150m as proposed at last week meeting

[h=1]
Public Notice​
[/h]
[h=2]Moving Forward With Port Lands Revitalization[/h]
[h=3]Please join us to discuss two Environmental Assessment (EA) Projects: the Don Mouth Naturalization and Port Lands Flood Protection and the Lower Don Lands Master Plan[/h]

Overview
Waterfront Toronto (WT), the City of Toronto, and Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) are amending and finalizing the Individual EA for the Don Mouth Naturalization and Port Lands Flood Protection Project (DMNP). Concurrently, the 2010 Class EA Lower Don Lands Master Plan (LDL MP) is being finalized to reflect the amendments that arose out of the Port Lands Acceleration Initiative 2012.

These two EAs represent key pieces in the revitalization of Toronto’s Port Lands. Their approval will enable the TRCA, the City of Toronto and Waterfront Toronto to move forward with the implementation of the flood protection and infrastructure works necessary to support the revitalization of the Port Lands and naturalization of the mouth of the Don River.

ImageProxy.mvc
The DMNP EA
The mouth of the Don River is one of Toronto’s great unrealized assets and the centrepiece of major revitalization initiatives on the waterfront. A plan has been developed that will integrate this incredible asset into the ecological and urban fabric of Toronto. The Individual EA for the DMNP will provide the basis for transforming the existing mouth of the Don River into a healthier, more naturalized river outlet to the lake, while at the same time, removing the risk of flooding to urban land to the east and south of the river. Once completed, the EA will be submitted to the Ministry of the Environment for review and approval.

The LDL MP EA
The LDL MP EA is being carried out to reflect the amendments to the DMNP and will address all of the infrastructure needed to support the revitalization of the Lower Don Lands. The amended Master Plan will consider servicing (water, sanitary sewers and storm water management), streets and public transit in dedicated rights-of-way and will complete Phase 3 and 4 requirements of the Municipal Class EA for all Schedule C projects in the Lower Don Lands.

The Process
The proposed study areas for the EAs are shown on the map above. Key components of EAs include consultation with government agencies, Aboriginal communities and interested persons; consideration and evaluation of alternatives; and the management of potential environmental effects. Conducting an EA promotes good environmental planning before decisions are made about a proposal.

Get Involved
Your input into these important projects is critical. The Project Teams will be hosting a final public meeting for interested persons to participate in the EA planning process for both projects. We invite you to our public forum where you can learn more about updates to the projects, and share your thoughts on the refinements being considered. You will also be able to ask questions and speak directly with members of the project team, offer input and submit comments.

Public Meeting Details
Date: Wednesday, July 24, 2013
Time: Open House 6:00pm/Presentations 7:00pm
Location: EMS Training Centre (Toronto Fire Academy), 895 Eastern Avenue. See map.

For DMNP information contact: Michael Charendoff, Toronto and Region Conservation Authority at mcharendoff@trca.on.ca /416-661-6600 Ext. 5280.

For information on the Lower Don Lands Master Plan EA please contact
info@waterfrontoronto.ca.

Port Lands and South of Eastern Planning Studies will hold a pubic meeting at Riverdale Collegiate – Atrium and Auditorium, 1094 Gerrard Street East on Nov 28. Viewing of the boards will start at 6pm with presentation starting at 7.

This is a full master plan for all the areas inculding this one and the EA has to be completed by March 2014 as directed by council.

This will be a lot of info to handle for people who have little info on the area or only looking at one part of the plan.

A number of PIC will be held in Jan and Feb for various areas.

The meeting I was at on Thursday nearly put me to sleep as it was boring and one of the worse presentation I seen to date.

Staff is lacking members both on the city side as well Waterfront Toronto in dealing with this plan.

Hydro One has put up road blocks pertaining the transmission towers on Commissioner that will impact transit and development. The only way to deal with it is to bury the lines and that is huge cost.

South of the shipping channel is still about 30 years down the road.

Back