Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

I find it odd that a site that obsesses on skyscrapers would dare criticize American envy. Are we not all guilty of American envy in cheering on the rise of so many American style buildings? Although the site is called urbantoronto, the urban environment that is being created that we are so excited about is Manhattan not Rome, Amsterdam or Milan.

Although the site is called urbantoronto, the urban environment that is being created that we are so excited about is Manhattan not Rome, Amsterdam or Milan.

To be fair I think part of this facination with manhatten versus European cities is because we 1. Are more likely to travel to places like NEw York and Chicago more often but more importantly 2. Very few parts of Toronto resemble Europe where as many parts of Toronto have highrises that somewhat resemble cities like New York and Chicago (I have been to NEW YORK so I recognize theres a big difference). As a result people believe Manhatinization is possible but a Euro style city is impossible...

Sure, the skyscraper first emerged in the U.S., but the country is a dearth of densely populated cities (with exception to San Fran and New York). If you want to see skyscrapers look to Asia.
It's funny that what Ford considers government waste doesn't apply to a 1 billion dollar stadium project that would provide no added value to the cities' worth. It's similar to the federal conservative government's mantra of fiscal prudence even though military spending is up 40% since Harper became PM. -Not to forget the near $50 billion fighter jet fiasco. Neither political left nor right are fiscally prudent. The difference is that the political right amounts debt to build completely useless boondoggles that are functionally obsolete in 25 years.

Sure, the skyscraper first emerged in the U.S., but the country is a dearth of densely populated cities (with exception to San Fran and New York). If you want to see skyscrapers look to Asia.
It's funny that what Ford considers government waste doesn't apply to a 1 billion dollar stadium project that would provide no added value to the cities' worth. It's similar to the federal conservative government's mantra of fiscal prudence even though military spending is up 40% since Harper became PM. -Not to forget the near $50 billion fighter jet fiasco. Neither political left nor right are fiscally prudent. The difference is that the political right amounts debt to build completely useless boondoggles that are functionally obsolete in 25 years.

Should we not invest in our military and continue to let our equipment become further outdated?

Considering the Harper government was found in contempt of parliament for lying about the price tag, I think it might be a good idea first to study how much new equipment to blow things up will cost.
Same goes to Ford's stadium idea. If an NFL team had an economic basis, then private investors would build it themselves. This concept should resonate with conservative governments, yet never seems to apply.

What I don't understand is even if we build a football stadium with the capacity to hold an NFL crowd, why would this instantly give Toronto an NFL team? I don't think the NFL is as willing to expand into the Canadian market as the Ford's think they are. They tested the market by bringing the Bills to Toronto, and that didn't work out too well.

The Government was found in contempt not by a judge or a court of law but by the Opposition that out numbers them in the House of Commons. The report holding them in contempt was written before testimony in committee was heard, testimony that demonstrated the Government actions were consistent with the best practices of past governments and did not represent a contempt of parliament.

The cornerstone of national sovereignty is having a well equipped military capable of responding to threats against our security and well being. Why the left basks in anti-Americanism while abdicating the responsibility to provide for our collective safety remains a mystery to me.

Absolutely not! Who said it did? Who says the government will spend a billion dollars on a new stadium? Harper won't. Don't believe me? Ask Quebec City how likely this government is to fund a professional sports arena. It ain't gonna happen.

It'd be amazing if the private sector paid for it. My worry is that stadiums don't often get built without huge subsidization. Take the Skydome for instance.

What I don't understand is even if we build a football stadium with the capacity to hold an NFL crowd, why would this instantly give Toronto an NFL team? I don't think the NFL is as willing to expand into the Canadian market as the Ford's think they are. They tested the market by bringing the Bills to Toronto, and that didn't work out too well.

Using the Bills as an example isn't very good. They aren't Toronto's team. Why would people care to see them?

The cornerstone of national sovereignty is having a well equipped military capable of responding to threats against our security and well being. Why the left basks in anti-Americanism while abdicating the responsibility to provide for our collective safety remains a mystery to me.

Excactly. What are we supposed to do if our freedom is threatened? We can't just rely on America to be there and protect us. We need to be able to take care of ourselves. Funding our military doesn't mean that we're trigger happy and looking to bury our noses in the business of other nations.

Back