Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

This is from today's Daily Construction News and gives a pretty good overview of the plans.

Waterfront Toronto harbours ambitious ideas for Lower Don Lands

PETER KENTER

correspondent

There’ll be plenty of civil construction centred around the mouth of Toronto’s Don River in years to come if Toronto city council approves a series of environmental assessments (EAs) for the area.

Waterfront Toronto has just released its Lower Don Lands Infrastructure Master Plan and Keating Channel Precinct Environmental Study Report.

The report sets out an ambitious new plan to alter stormwater flows through the Lower Don Lands, the Don River and the Keating Channel.

The Toronto and Region Conservation Authority is preparing an Individual EA concerning the naturalization of the mouth of the Don River—the Don Mouth Naturalization and Port Lands Flood Protection Project Environmental Assessment (DMNP EA)—which examines steps to remove flood risk from 230 hectares of land south and east of the existing Keating Channel.

The DMNP EA will also provide hydraulic conveyance requirements for each bridge crossing and provide recommendations for the design and location of infrastructure crossings.

The study area is similar to the Lower Don Lands Master Plan, but includes the Don Narrows up to Riverdale Park.

The preferred alternative in the master plan would centre the new mouth of the Don River in the middle of the Lower Don Lands study area, south of the Keating Channel.

“The mouth of the Don was engineered to its current state in 1914 with a 90 degree turn into the Keating Channel,” says John Campbell, president and CEO of Waterfront Toronto. “That part of the city should be the jewel of the waterfront, instead of a dredging pit. In its current form, if we had a Hurricane Hazel in the Don River watershed, the flood could reach Leslieville, blocks to the east.”

Campbell says construction work designed to engineer wetlands, improve stormwater and flood control, and modify bridges could tally around $600 million.

Waterfront Toronto has already overseen a $20-million river-widening program, which included extending the CN rail bridge crossing the Don River at Lakeshore Boulevard from two spans to three.

The master plan recommends establishment of a low-flow channel about 15 metres wide and 1.5 metres deep with an associated floodplain of 150 to 200 metres wide.

It also proposes construction of a large peninsula extending 150 metres into the Inner Harbour from Cousins Quay.

The proposed plan also includes recommendations to build large stormwater tanks, designed to treat stormwater using filtration and UV light before releasing it.

Under the preferred stormwater plan, the Keating Channel would be retained but would not be used to accept flow from the river mouth during normal conditions.

In case of a large flood, the flow would be diverted through three separate paths.

This first would be the new naturalized river valley that continues south along the Don Roadway.

The second would continue west through the Keating Channel as before, but only when flood waters top the new weirs that would be installed at the east end of the channel.

The third path allows water to pass through the Ship Channel Wetland or Greenway, a wetland habitat in the naturalized area of the mouth of the Don.

Stormwater in newly developed areas of the Lower Don Lands will be separated into streams. Road runoff containing salt and other pollutants won’t be of sufficient quality to feed the needs of the wetlands, so a discreet stream of water collected from building roofs will be used to feed the naturalized habitat.

Excess water from this stream will be used to irrigate Silva Cells, underground structures designed to prevent soil compaction and retain stormwater beneath roads and sidewalks. The units provide a framework to protect and encourage the growth of tree roots.

“The life of a tree in downtown Toronto is usually no more than about five years,” says Campbell. “With this system, each tree gets about 30 cubic metres of soil, which will allow us to grow legacy trees.”

The proposed plan will require Toronto city council approval before it can be funded.

“It’s a challenge,” says Campbell. “You can’t begin to secure funding until you know exactly what you’re asking for. To us, the environmental assessment before council defines for us the cheapest and most effective way to create the most value in that area of the city. If there’s another round of stimulus funding, these projects will be shovel-ready.”

Note the comment at the end "If there's another round of stimulus funding..."

Who's going to fund $600 million worth of wetlands, bridges and flood control?

I thought the sale of lands which are in the area and owned by the three levels of government were supposed to pay for this. The waterfront development was kicked off with a $1.5B commitment. Is that gone now because it was supposed to get things started and increased land values for properties being sold and increased tax revenues in those areas was supposed to keep it going.

I wonder if Waterfront Toronto was pushing to have this done by the last council meeting, before the election, and missed their target?

At the Heritage Toronto debate the other day, Mr. Ford explained that the Don was "filthy dirty" but could easily be cleaned up by volunteers.

I wonder if Waterfront Toronto was pushing to have this done by the last council meeting, before the election, and missed their target?

At the Heritage Toronto debate the other day, Mr. Ford explained that the Don was "filthy dirty" but could easily be cleaned up by volunteers.

Then why the hell didn't he get those volunteers together and do it, if it's that easy? What was he waiting for, an election? Seriously, why even say that? It just makes him look stupid.

The Don needs a whole lot more than just some garbage picked up.

Portlands NFL Stadium Whim

I know this is very early, but an NFL-size stadium could be coming to the Toronto waterfront.

Posted by rbt at SSC

http://www.journalofcommerce.com/cg...t&id=30b1c306828fe4ea80117667da32a87b1ae35029

STADIUM Proj: 9135077-1
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON CONTEMPLATED
RL Hearn site, Portlands, M5V
$50,000,000 est
Note: This project is extremely preliminary. The site selection is ongoing. How an architect will be secured is undetermined. Schedules for design, tender and construction have not been set. Further update winter 2011.
Project: proposed construction of a NFL stadium on the site of the abandoned RL Hearn generating plant in the Portlands on Toronto's Waterfront. The project would include demolition of the existing building and reuse of some of the existing foundation.
Development: New
Category: Recreational bldgs
Owner's representative Waterfront Toronto, 20 Bay St Suite 1310, Toronto ON M5J 2N8, Phone: 416-214-1344 Fax: 416-214-4598; Tari Stork
This report Wed Apr 27, 2011.

Looks like the Ford's are serious about building this thing. I thought it was just a witty remark by Doug, I didn't think he was going to go ahead with it. I really don't want this thing built.

An NFL stadium will cost about a billion dollars to construct. If the Fords even dare spend a public dime on this, there will be a serious gravy storm that they will have to deal with. (Spending money on a stadium is more important than public transit? I doubt they'd go there.)

It's more concerning to me if they decide to just demolish the Hearn, just because.

Last edited:
What's the obsession with the NFL? It's the most boring professional sports league. Out of a 60 minute game there's an average of 8 actual minutes of play, the rest is wasted on huddles. And Americans think soccer is boring, heh.

America envy... its an ugly thing.

Yes it is. First it's big American style stadiums and before you know it we'll want American style skyscrapers. People will obsess over floor counts and building heights. We'll rank our city based on the number of high rise buildings we have compared to American cities. Geeks will discuss the minutiae of every large building projects on the Internet. Such obsession will lead to the "Manhattanization" of our provincial capital. I shudder at the thought.

Yes it is. First it's big American style stadiums and before you know it we'll want American style skyscrapers. People will obsess over floor counts and building heights. We'll rank our city based on the number of high rise buildings we have compared to American cities. Geeks will discuss the minutiae of every large building projects on the Internet. Such obsession will lead to the "Manhattanization" of our provincial capital. I shudder at the thought.

American style skyscrapers sounds good to me. It's not like we build fantastically designed ones.

Back