Toronto Local at Fort York | 52.42m | 15s | Onni Group | P + S / IBI

They'll be good once the city decides it wants to progress into the 21st century and takes down the Gardiner.
Ha, I was just thinking that.
The raised highway looks ridiculous in those pictures. Not to mention that most of that section doesn't even have a road underneath.
Can't believe the city voted to keep that albatross.

Progress into the 21st? In what way? Neither are vehicles or the Gardiner obsolete?
A grand boulevard as opposed to a shitty raised highway would be a good start. The idea that you need a highway through the heart of your downtown is silly. Downtown is a destination, not a place to conveniently bypass.

A grand boulevard as opposed to a shitty raised highway would be a good start. The idea that you need a highway through the heart of your downtown is silly. Downtown is a destination, not a place to conveniently bypass.

I'm not convinced. Too often grand boulevards turn into much larger barriers for pedestrian to cross than a shitty raised highway. I don't find the idea of a highway downtown silly either. I rather have the traffic concentrated in one spot than dispersed throughout the downtown core creating thoroughfares (i.e. Yonge in North York Centre) out of local streets. See Vancouver, for example.

The city has done a lot in the last 5 years to improve the experience of crossing Lake Shore by removing the right turns lanes, installing wider sidewalks and, softening the cold concrete with plantings. The highway itself has being hidden behind development.

I'm not convinced. Too often grand boulevards turn into much larger barriers for pedestrian to cross than a shitty raised highway. I don't find the idea of a highway downtown silly either. I rather have the traffic concentrated in one spot than dispersed throughout the downtown core creating thoroughfares (i.e. Yonge in North York Centre) out of local streets. See Vancouver, for example.
Isn't North York Centre's rush hour traffic largely people lined up to get on/off the 401?

North York Centre is the hinterlands for me. I don't know where the traffic comes from and I don't think its that relevant for my example. It's an urban street with a lot of traffic moving at quick pace.

Ha, I was just thinking that.
The raised highway looks ridiculous in those pictures. Not to mention that most of that section doesn't even have a road underneath.
Can't believe the city voted to keep that albatross.
Just to be clear, this was not the section that the City was considering taking down last year. The high traffic counts on this section make less likely it would go.

Photo of the rooftop area from the Yards. Loving the trees!

image1.JPG

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 983
Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love it ... the gardiner is better than a busy street; Sure it's louder but it's a constant drum / no sirens (or much much less) / no honking (much much less).

Some folks wouldn't like the hum but it tends to drown out other noises

I'd love it ... the gardiner is better than a busy street; Sure it's louder but it's a constant drum / no sirens (or much much less) / no honking (much much less).

Some folks wouldn't like the hum but it tends to drown out other noises
There are quite a few sirens nearby on Lake Shore. Motorcycles can be super loud at 2 am. My daughter used to live on Bloor near Yonge. I found it much quieter traffic-wise there, probably because the cars aren't going very fast. But it's the city, there's noise

Back