Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

They dig every Saturday too, including today. Check out their web cam at http://www.livingshangri-latoronto.com/webcam/

Counting flights of stairs in the excavation I get 15 flights at, what? ten feet a flight, so they're down about 150 feet. This has to be pretty close to the deepest, if not the deepest, excavation yet in Toronto (not counting sewers, Enwave tunnels, subways etc. access points).

the hole at 4:50am.

DSC00245.jpg

DSC00246.jpg

150's a bit much I'd say more realistically each flight is about 8 feet, which would put it at about 120 feet deep. Still, in terms of building foundations its definitely the deepest hole in the current boom if not ever.

The only ones that I could see possibly being deeper would be for the big bank towers, but who knows...

They dig every Saturday too, including today. Check out their web cam at http://www.livingshangri-latoronto.com/webcam/

Counting flights of stairs in the excavation I get 15 flights at, what? ten feet a flight, so they're down about 150 feet. This has to be pretty close to the deepest, if not the deepest, excavation yet in Toronto (not counting sewers, Enwave tunnels, subways etc. access points).

web cam seems stuck on a corner view. To me, looks like 90 to 100 ft. deep,tops.

Smuncky roams the desolate construction grounds of the metropolis in the wee hours of the morning, searching for what makes him an urbanoholic. Great shots.

Daily Commercial News had the following short news item on Shangri-La in their Feb 10 update...looks like there will be 8 underground levels, plus note a theatre in the base,..and, 66 storeys? ...(my highlights)

Excavating machines are on the move for the Shangri-la Toronto hotel and residences in Toronto, Ont. Construction manager for the 66-storey project is 180 University Management Inc. and the owner is Westbank Projects Corp. The work includes a fitness centre, retail space, a theatre and eight levels of underground parking. Completion has been scheduled for early 2011. The Shangri-la was designed by Young & Wright Architects Ltd. / James K M Cheng Architect Inc. Consultants are: Adjeleian Allen Rubeli Ltd. / Jones Kwong Kishi (structural); M.V. Shore Associates (1993) Ltd. / Sterling Cooper & Associates Ltd. (mechanical); Nemetz (S/A) & Associates Ltd. (electrical); and Phillips Farevaag Smallenberg (landscape). Subtrades include: Aro Excavating Ltd.

Daily Commercial News had the following short news item on Shangri-La in their Feb 10 update...looks like there will be 8 underground levels, plus note a theatre in the base,..and, 66 storeys? ...(my highlights)

Excavating machines are on the move for the Shangri-la Toronto hotel and residences in Toronto, Ont. Construction manager for the 66-storey project is 180 University Management Inc. and the owner is Westbank Projects Corp. The work includes a fitness centre, retail space, a theatre and eight levels of underground parking. Completion has been scheduled for early 2011. The Shangri-la was designed by Young & Wright Architects Ltd. / James K M Cheng Architect Inc. Consultants are: Adjeleian Allen Rubeli Ltd. / Jones Kwong Kishi (structural); M.V. Shore Associates (1993) Ltd. / Sterling Cooper & Associates Ltd. (mechanical); Nemetz (S/A) & Associates Ltd. (electrical); and Phillips Farevaag Smallenberg (landscape). Subtrades include: Aro Excavating Ltd.

The theatre (cinema) is an amenity, nothing more exciting than that.

i went by the big hole last night!

(i told my li'l lady to wait in the car while i went to take a... -you try expaining to someone you're interested in hole!!)

this hoarding is good. really hard to get any good view.
Based on those scaffold steps, (approx 14 landing levels at 6ft each-landing to landing) this hole must be around (only)90 feet deep. but it feels alot deeper -like 150...

Crane expected soon at Shangri-La

noticed the following as part of today's (Feb 21) National Post feature on 3Dementia's future renderings....

4. Shangri-La Toronto
University and Adelaide
• Excavation started: fall, 2008
• Completion expected: mid-2012
• Height at completion: 212 metres, 65 storeys
• Use: residential and hotel

“We’ve had calls here and there asking, ‘Are you still under construction? What’s happening? We don’t see any activity.’ Well, that’s because we’re doing such an extensive excavation,†says sales executive Robert Leliever. “The reason the excavation’s taken so long is we have to go down eight storeys [because] we offer parking with all suites.†However, the crane will be assembled within a month or so. “The perception on the street wll change significantly after that.â€

Back