Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

They could do cooler effects with led lights than racing stripes, but I've got np with 'em. Doesn't SL in Vancouver have a field of led squares? It looks cool.

A man is being taken to hospital after being injured in an industrial accident at the site of the Shangri-La Hotel that is under construction in downtown.

Paramedics say the man is about 30 years old.

No further details were immediately available about his condition or the circumstances surrounding the accident. But reports say a crate of marble fell on him.

The luxury hotel is located on University Avenue by Adelaide Street and is slated for completion in the summer.

http://www.citytv.com/toronto/cityn...ed-in-industrial-accident-at-shangri-la-hotel

Lots of people on this site are happy with grey glass boxes that contain no artistic frills, no originality and no colour. The slightest bit of whimsy or unconventionality, is enough to enflame their poison pens ...

It's just when that unconventionality gets so damn conventional that's there's a problem.

Now, if the building was shaped like a martini glass and lit in flashing pink neon, I'd have no problem with that - cool tacky. But what we get reminds me more of the front grille of an Escalade. Suburban tacky.

19 April 2012: imo the real movers & shakers of Toronto hang out closer to where I took this photo than Q&U:

093ln.jpg

The view of the Shangri-La from the south, from the Simcoe and Front Street area - its a beautiful building marred by the chimney stack from the Toronto District Steam Heating plant. The following e-mail was sent to Enwave - interesting to see if it gets a response. (I do know that there are those on the Board who may feel that the chimney is a part of Toronto's heritage, similar to the waterfront silos - however.....)

Question regarding the Simcoe Street District Heating Plant.

The Simcoe facility was originally built as (or upgraded to being) a duel fuel plant - capable of using both Bunker C oil, and natural gas. It has been at least 20 - 25 years since the plant has burned Bunker C oil. Given the energy content cost ratio between natural gas and oil - natural gas is record lows to oil on an energy content basis, and given the much higher pollution from burning Bunker C oil - I believe that the Simcoe Street facility is unlikely to ever use Bunker C oil - if it even still has that capability.

I also believe that the current large chimney stack at the Simcoe facility was put in place to handle the exhaust from the burning of Bunker C oil. Using natural gas exclusively at the Simcoe plant would only require natural gas specific exhaust vents, which I suspect would be much smaller than the present chimney stack.

The reason for this e-mail is that with the new Shangri-La building immediately to the north of the Simcoe facility - the view of the Shangri-La from the south - such as from Simcoe and Front Streets - my opinion a beautiful building - is really impacted by the Simcoe plant's chimney stack.

The questions: Is the existing chimney stack, in its current shape and dimensions, actually required for natural gas operation of the Simcoe Street plant?

Secondly, if the existing chimney in its current form is not actually required, are there any plans for its replacement by a more appropriate exhaust vent(s)?

Looks like the stack on the District Heating Plant in front of the Shangri-La is not going anywhere soon. Response from Enwave: Due to the emission regulations in Ontario becoming tighter and tighter there is actually considerable pressure for us to make our stack bigger.

Boy, that would not make me very happy if I had a South face condo and they even went further to raise the stack.

A multi million dollar "stack view".

Makes me happy I look West, don't see it unless stick your head way over the balcony.

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly does this plant do, and why is it in the middle of downtown?

One of three district heating plants operated by Enwave (formerly the Toronto District Heating Corporation), the plant provides steam through a series of underground pipes to buildings in the downtown core, eliminating the need for buildings connected to the system to have their own boilers. The other two plants are at Walton Street, just west of Bay, and in the University of Toronto area, near Queens Park. If you have ever noticed steam coming up from a manhole cover in downtown Toronto during the winter, it would most likely be from a leak in one of the steam pipe joints.

The reason the plant is downtown is that is where its users are, it was originally built in the early 1960's - opening in 1964. There have been plans to build a new, more remote plant, but it has not yet happened.

More information can be found at: http://www.enwave.com/district_heating_system.html

With all of the new development in the area it surprises me that Enwave doesn't team up with a developer to incorporate their infrastructure into the envelope of a new building. There has to be some way of creating a buffer between their uses and residential and/or commercial uses.

Back