Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

Running a strip of LED up the side of a building's the creative equivalent of running a white flag up a flagpole.

If you think that the LED is the only component of the North/South face of this building then you're purposely ignoring it to justify whatever prejudice you seem to have in your head.

If you think that the LED is the only component of the North/South face of this building then you're purposely ignoring it to justify whatever prejudice you seem to have in your head.

a LED strip up the side of a building is a pretty kitschy idea i'm afraid. why does a building need a lighted stripe all of a sudden? its a completely random affectation.

within a year you just know they'll be doing funny seasonal things with it: red and white candy cane effect at Christmas, blue and white for the Jays season opener...

^^^
Reality is that not everyone in the SL will be super wealthy. People will live there in small units who are comfortable but not necessarily multi millionaires. They will run over to Rabba to pick up a few things based on convenience. I am not sure they will do their major shopping there, but I suspect that is the case with many in the condos around there. It is expensive relative to the major chains. However I think Tewder is correct that the residents as a whole will be less likely to shop there than perhaps the residents of the more affordable other condos around.

x2. Fitting the CN Tower with LEDs up the length of it was the best thing they did since build it.

x1000000 ...

I associate the flashy lights on the CN tower with Toronto, its a welcome site. I think many other people feel similar now.

Shocker would probably go into a fit of hysteria if he visited Hong Kong at night.

Or Shanghai...

oriental-pearl-tv-tower-shanghai-chn1150.jpg

Lots of people on this site are happy with grey glass boxes that contain no artistic frills, no originality and no colour. The slightest bit of whimsy or unconventionality, is enough to enflame their poison pens but I am so glad I don't live in that minimalist world, no matter how much they justify it by calling it good taste. There is nothing wrong with using colour to bring joy to previously dull vistas.

Running a strip of LED up the side of a building's the creative equivalent of running a white flag up a flagpole.

Actually I too quite like having that strip, it creates some interest during the night. But in any case, my appreciation for the north and south faces have nothing to do with the LED strip and everything to do with the vertical and horizontal treatments of the facade the symmetry of the building and the placement of the balconies.

Back