Toronto Imperial Plaza | 96.01m | 23s | Camrost-Felcorp | Onespace

I am one of this building's biggest fans, and wrote about the conversion for the G&M in August 2010, but while I don't fully agree with Adma, I do agree that it is quite a stretch to call it "the most significant Internation Style skyscraper in Toronto."

I'd put my money on Mies van der Rohe's TD Centre for that claim.

What makes this building great, IMHO, are the finishes and Wilson's mural. I also very much like the limestone cladding the monolithic massing. And Tulse, I have been inside a number of times and those windows are deceptive -- they go from your knees all the way up to the ceiling, and they are quite wide. They only look small from down on the street.

There goes the views.

Not only that, but the church next door Deer Park United Church at 129 St. Clair West now kills the west and some SW views too. See Mike in TO's post #17 in the 129 St. Clair thread for a rendering. (sorry don't know how to copy it here)

Looked at buying into this building and I, like you Architourist, appreciate the architecture and Wilson's murals.

I'm wondering if people realise that the 2 spaces directly in front of the "Oil" murals will be "enclosed", and leased(sold?) by the developers- probably some restos or something. That effectively kills the public access to the artwork.

And the front "lobby" will be merely a strip to the elevator bank. The residents' main lobby entrance is at the rear of the building to where all that Nienkamper furniture will be moved.

Great idea to convert; lousy implementation plans IMHO.

Last edited:
as cat was saying ...
http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?12781-129-St-Clair-Avenue-West-(Whitecastle-Investments-32s-D-S)&p=486231#post486231

Rendering:

5375264647_6e450aa923_o.jpg

Solaris,

Tried to PM you but your inbox is full.

For my education (and others'), how do you capture the full address of a particular post in one thread, and then copy it to another thread?

Thanks - Cate

Last edited:
I didn't realize my PM mailbox was full ... thanks cat ~

To get the web address to link directly to a particular post in this forum, you simply have to RIGHT CLICK on the post # (in this case Mike's was #17) and OPEN IN NEW TAB to see the web link address in the top menu bar~

Cheers :)

unless I am not following along correctly here, to have someone else's post copied and pasted into your own reply, you need to click on "Reply With Quote" below the post you are interested in. If you merely want to direct people with an html link you can do as Solaris has suggested, or one step quicker would be when you right click on the post #, then you would simply select "copy shortcut" and then paste it into your response.

thanks Redroom ... I justed learned something new ('copy shortcut') ~ :)

I am one of this building's biggest fans, and wrote about the conversion for the G&M in August 2010, but while I don't fully agree with Adma, I do agree that it is quite a stretch to call it "the most significant Internation Style skyscraper in Toronto."

Though I wouldn't say I'm too far off the mark in pinpointing its throwback and even near-Soviet qualities--keeping in mind that I don't mean it necessarily as a slur. It's a significant work of 50s architecture in Toronto; but compared to, say, BC Hydro, Imperial Oil definitely represented a vestigial "before" phase stylistically--for all the qualities of York Wilson's mural, it seems like it's subbing for something more Charles Comfort-ish...

Phase 2 info: http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentApplications/navigatePlanningApp.do?method=next&reportType=2

111 ST CLAIR AVE W
OPA / Rezoning 11 124030 STE 22 OZ Ward 22
- Tor & E.York Feb 10, 2011 --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- Tamir, Oren
(416) 392-7349
Official Plan Amendment to complement rezoning application for a new 36 storey residential building with a 5 storey podium (proposed address is 101 St. Clair Ave W) located south of the existing Imperial Oil office building located at 111 St. Clair Ave W. The application proposes 331 residential units and 4 levels of below grade parking with 324 parking spaces. Also proposed are 15 three-storey townhomes (11 exterior - 4 will be part of podium).

City Planning Preliminary Report (Phase 2)

To be considered by Toronto & East York Community Council on March 22, 2011:

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2011/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-36450.pdf

Proposal

The proposal calls for a new 36-storey residential building with fifteen 3-storey townhouses to the south of the vacant, heritage-listed, office building at 111 St. Clair Ave. West (former Imperial Oil head office). The overall height of the proposed tower is 110 metres plus an 8.6-metre mechanical penthouse, totalling approximately 118.6 metres. The overall density proposed is 4.79 times the area of the portion of the site which is subject of the rezoning application. If the Imperial Oil Building is included in the calculations, the overall density of the site would be approximately 7.2 times the area of the combined sites.

The tower portion of the development is set back 60 metres from St. Clair Ave. West; 10 metres from the east property line; approximately 9 metres from the south property line adjacent to the cemetery; 23 metres to the south property line adjacent to the low-rise residential neighbourhood; and 58 metres from the west property line. The tower is approximately 25 metres south of the vacant office building at 111 St. Clair Ave. West (see Attachment No. 2, Site Plan).

The proposed floor plate of the tower is generally 790 square metres. The floor plate size drops to 616 square metres from floors 30 to 35, and 399 square metres on the 36th floor.

The five-storey podium terraces back at each floor, gradually reducing in floor size. Four of the fifteen townhouses are contained within the podium. The remainder of the townhouses are free standing. All fifteen townhouses front along the Foxbar Road and the south property line.

The building proposed consists of 331 residential units.

A total of 324 vehicular parking spaces are provided, including 38 spaces for visitors, in 4 levels of underground parking accessible from St. Clair Ave. West. Bicycle parking is also provided for, with 160 residential spaces and 40 visitor spaces.

All servicing will be from a mutual drive located of St. Clair Ave. West between the properties at 111 and 129 St. Clair Ave. West.​

Last edited:

Back