Toronto George Brown College Waterfront Campus | ?m | 8s | George Brown | KPMB

I just had a look at the renders in the dataBase http://urbantoronto.ca/database/projects/george-brown-college-waterfront-campus, and those from earlier in the thread, and I'm starting to wonder if the corrugated metal is in fact the final cladding material. It had a very seamless look to it when I saw it up close, and got the impression that close attention was paid to how well it was installed. Have a look at the renders. They too give these cladding sections a somewhat 'corrugated' look.

urbantoronto-2711-7614.jpg

urbantoronto-2711-7615.jpg

GBCPromenade.jpg

GBCDocksideDetail.jpg

Despite Kuwabara's petulant whining about the flat-topped and therefore "suburban" Corus design, when his design review panel assessed that building, I'm delighted to see how the George Brown complex takes its cues from D+S's somewhat more unequivocal, sleek-hipped design.

The two match rather well, and I think they'll pass the test of time as an ensemble - much as streetscapes composed of handsomely-proportioned Georgian buildings often age better than later structures built by the Victorians with their obsession with making irritating statements against the skyline.

Despite Kuwabara's petulant whining about the flat-topped and therefore "suburban" Corus design, when his design review panel assessed that building, I'm delighted to see how the George Brown complex takes its cues from D+S's somewhat more unequivocal, sleek-hipped design.

The two match rather well, and I think they'll pass the test of time as an ensemble - much as streetscapes composed of handsomely-proportioned Georgian buildings often age better than later structures built by the Victorians with their obsession with making irritating statements against the skyline.

You have such a Modernist bias, it's insane. LOL. Of course you prefer Georgian over Victorian.

A George Brown Residence, I believe, but I may be out-of-date on that. A tunnel extends under Dockside Dr. to connect this with the next building.

Both!

GBCCrossSection.jpg

Last edited:
Me likey. My mind wanders to Pompidou because of the frank and explicit treatment of staircases, hence the flow of people.

this is a rather stripped down, bare and soulless counterpart to Pompidou outside of the exposed staircases... but sure, lets dream big. Doug Ford big.

Back